SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swedespeed,

I'm finally about to do the V70, and on a fairly-local '99 R with 127k that needs work. Issues are:
Intermittent CEL (don't know the code)
Rear driveshaft removed (don't care, want FWD anyways)
Needs front left axle (clicks when first accelerating)
Fairly soft brake pedal (but maybe I'm just used to BMW)
And no service history so need to do Stage 0.

The exterior/interior need cleanup and the seats need refreshing but nothing out of the ordinary. No signs of paintwork.

I've been researching the forums and looking into old threads on these issues and having trouble finding where to buy parts. I see complaints about some of FCP Groton's quality (I will pay for quality) so want to avoid those parts. IPD seems expensive, and RockAuto has such a huge selection that I'm wondering what's Chinese junk and what's OE Volvo with the logo ground off.

Any tips or pointers here?

·
Registered
370 Posts
if you have the money go to the stealership for all blue bagged parts

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Tasca Volvo has the best prices on OEM stuff if you can buy online and don't mind waiting a week or two sometimes. IPD has good deals on some things, don't write them off completely.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Tasca Volvo has the best prices on OEM stuff if you can buy online and don't mind waiting a week or two sometimes. IPD has good deals on some things, don't write them off completely.
+1, IPD will tell you when it's OEM on the site. However, Tasca Volvo is ALL OEM stuff.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. Is there a service manual out there? I'm in way over my head on this car and my technician friend is BMW/MINI but willing to lend a hand.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Thanks everyone. Is there a service manual out there? I'm in way over my head on this car and my technician friend is BMW/MINI but willing to lend a hand.
You can find instructions on how to do many of the most common repairs on http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/volvo-repair-database-home

Service manual wise, you can puck up the haynes or chiltons or what have you. Stuff is just a tad different sometimes on the R but for the most part, the motor work is all the same.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Nice to see another taking the deep dive! If your keeping the car and staying with Volvo for a bit, I'd recommend checking into some VADIS software. Check Ebay. I find the Chilton's etc. to be lacking a lot of specific detail sometimes needed to do it right on these cars.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to you both, I'm doing research on Matthew's Volvo site. I think I'll keep it as long as it's not a total pile, I've always wanted a Volvo wagon (grew up in them, sentimental I suppose...)

Any idea on how much keys and fobs cost? Only have one key, no fob. :(

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Thanks to you both, I'm doing research on Matthew's Volvo site. I think I'll keep it as long as it's not a total pile, I've always wanted a Volvo wagon (grew up in them, sentimental I suppose...)

Haven't had to myself, I think they have to be cut by the dealer, so I'm sure it isn't cheap. Fob's I think can be sourced via Ebay. Your answer resides a phone call away on the keys.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haven't had to myself, I think they have to be cut by the dealer, so I'm sure it isn't cheap. Fob's I think can be sourced via Ebay. Your answer resides a phone call away on the keys.
They're closed :) I'll see if Tasca can do anything on that...

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Expensive

About $150-$175 for each peice cut and programmed (retail)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Jim. PM sent...

·
Registered
955 Posts

·
Registered
63,541 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Did they chip the '99 keys? because i gotta tell you, i just got copies made last night of my '98 R and it was $30 for the both of them. and the factory fobs for mine were $95. Parts counter guy said that don't get a used Fob because it locks itself to whatever car it's first programmed to and can't be used again.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Did they chip the '99 keys? because i gotta tell you, i just got copies made last night of my '98 R and it was $30 for the both of them. and the factory fobs for mine were $95. Parts counter guy said that don't get a used Fob because it locks itself to whatever car it's first programmed to and can't be used again.
99 is chipped, 98's are not.
And IIRC, a 98 will accept a used fob.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To wrap up this thread, the dealer wouldn't go down from $3700 which was more than I was willing to pay for no service records, intermittent CEL, bad axles, and needing Stage 0.

Picked up a 2003 T5 V70 instead. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts