SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to hit 100K on my 2004 NA and wondering if I should keep her?
My ownership has been good despite normal problems. Last year I was at the dealership a total of 10 times for repairs of some sort. It seems everything is fine for the moment. My warranty and Volvo VIP all expire once I hit 100K and I will hit 100K in a few weeks.

How do these cars hold up after 100K? How does the 2004 NA hold up?
I am not sure if 04's have more problems then other years or are apt to
having more? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
8,977 Posts
04s are very solid - most of the kinks were worked out by 02. Being an NA there is far less that can go wrong with it, add that in to you being in a warm climate with good roads, drive it as long as you can and sock away the $$ to buy something sick in a few years. It isnt worth much on trade at this point so might as well drive it till its wheels fall off!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wile I also agree with Abender, you must consider the price of repairing all those little electrical gremlins that arise, considering the age of your vehicle.

...just something to take into consideration

·
Registered
8,977 Posts
Re: (bmwguy22)

Electrical Gremlins that appear with age? Generally electrical issues are caused by SOMETHING and usually it isnt wear. Not sure what you are referring to here as we havent seen any of these crop up at all yet.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 FWD
3,015 Posts
BMW fanboi and his scare-tactics...

I got my car at ~110k miles a few months back and it's basically great. I've got one lock actuator dying on me and that stupid alarm module is dead (which is something that just seems to go. Well, the battery inside it... Maybe not in a hot, dry area?). That's about it, really. (That is, other than the moon roof [which I hate and never use] being all loud and not running smoothly.)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re: (StarmanDXE)

exactly, you proved my point nicely.

Add to that the sensors and other various electrically controlled bits and pieces makes a nice headache once they start to break (and believe me, they will break!)

Sur ethis car is leaps and bounds better than the S70 and 850, but with all nice cars, in time, they will break. Being a european car, the replacement parts prices aren't cheap.

Oh well, to each their own

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 FWD
3,015 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bmwguy22 »
exactly, you proved my point nicely.
Ha! I guess I did, didn't I?

Quote »
Add to that the sensors and other various electrically controlled bits and pieces makes a nice headache once they start to break (and believe me, they will break!)

Sur ethis car is leaps and bounds better than the S70 and 850, but with all nice cars, in time, they will break. Being a european car, the replacement parts prices aren't cheap.

Oh well, to each their own
Yeah... Expensive parts: that's the price you pay to have a luxury car! But, there're always junkyards
And I'm sure BMWs have expensive components which fail, too

·
Registered
8,977 Posts

Sign

There have been no indication of any of this sort of thing happening in large numbers.

YOUR car broke because YOU put sh!tty gas in it; and if I recall that was identified for you on day ONE that you had the issue, which you ignored, and it then spiraled into other issues.

I have no problem with people preferring other cars, as these certainly are not perfect. But you are actively biased AGAINST Volvos, you are bringing false information to the board, and it is getting really really old.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 FWD
3,015 Posts
Re: (Bender)

Quote, originally posted by Bender »
Sign

There have been no indication of any of this sort of thing happening in large numbers.
Eh... There really are a large number of alarm modules and door actuators going bad...

Quote »
YOUR car broke because YOU put sh!tty gas in it; and if I recall that was identified for you on day ONE that you had the issue, which you ignored, and it then spiraled into other issues.

I have no problem with people preferring other cars, as these certainly are not perfect. But you are actively biased AGAINST Volvos, you are bringing false information to the board, and it is getting really really old.
He does seem to have a vendetta still over that ordeal...

·
Registered
8,977 Posts
Quote »

Eh... There really are a large number of alarm modules and door actuators going bad...
This is a surprise to me as I had not heard about it before you mentioned it, but I certainly trust your experiences!

That said there is a constructive way to make recommendations about possible issues (as you are) and a non-constructive way...

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 FWD
3,015 Posts
Re: (Bender)

Quote, originally posted by Bender »

This is a surprise to me as I had not heard about it before you mentioned it, but I certainly trust your experiences!
I have these issues and have searched around and found a decent number of others online with the same issues as well as a write-up on how to replace the alarm module in the S80. Guess I consider that "a lot"

Quote »
That said there is a constructive way to make recommendations about possible issues (as you are) and a non-constructive way...
Me? Constructive? You must have me confused with someone else...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I apologize about the negative bias I have towards Volvo's. It's not just the bad gas incident, rather the premium you pay for what you get.

To me, I'd expect the quality and reliability to be proportionate to the amount of money you invest in a piece of machinery (or at least it should justify it's expense). With Volvo, i only see a few small things that make it different or more appealing than the competition. Sure some may see this as worthwhile to keep a Volvo and that's fine.

Heck my dad swore by Volvo for many years!!

Either way, I'm cashing my chips in ASAP.

All the best to the other Volvo owners. I know these are nice cars and I wish you all the best.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

To me, I'd expect the quality and reliability to be proportionate to the amount of money you invest in a piece of machinery (or at least it should justify it's expense).

I understand your point, but it's not always true. Don't tell that to 7 series or A8 drivers (I'm sure many other high price cars fit the bill here) -- they'll be ticked!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re: (VTT5)

that is also very true.

I guess it can be said that with any car, you have to find one that "fits" you, not just one that meets a few of your needs. No car is fully trouble-free or super-reliable, and if it is, it also has it's price (i.e. base Volvo 240, boring as hell, but reliable beyond comparison)

Finding the right car is like finding the right mate...sure you may like a few things about it, but it's everything else that you have to consider as well before making the decision of commitment to purchasing (or marrying for that matter).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.