SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently talking to local South Florida dealers about leasing a new 2019 XC60 or 2019 XC90 (immediately) and have a few questions I would like to post to this community (where I used to be pretty active back when I owned my S60R and my S80 V8 Sport).

1. Price aside, XC60 or XC90? I do not need the extra row, but do tend to like the XC90 visually marginally more. That said, I am leaning towards XC60 because I read it handles better due to weight difference.
  2. Price aside, T6 or T8? Sure, I'd LOVE those 400 HP and instant acceleration, but the fact that it will barely give me enough power for one way of my daily commute and that I would need to fully charge the battery twice a day just to be able to use them give me great pause. Plus once you get used to the 400 HP and don't have them (every time battery runs out), the 316 HP will probably feel inadequate. Or, probably my biggest gripe here. In the T8, rear wheels get power only from the electric motor, meaning once it's depleted, the car drives 100% as a FWD and one of the reasons I am going with a Volvo SUV is AWD. Would you agree this is a show-stopper for me for the T8 or am I overlooking something?
  3. Other than the cool factor of lowering or raising the car on command, is the air suspension any better than the standard one when it comes to driving?

Thank you all in advance for your feedback!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Price aside, XC60 or XC90?
IMHO, nobody can answer that but you, by test driving each.

Price aside, T6 or T8?
All I can say is that I love, love, love my T8.
And you'll never get to a fully depleted battery state, because it always saves a little in reserve in case you need it. If you ran the battery down completely and then suddenly needed the extra power for some reason (like passing on the interstate), you would be out of luck. The car won't let you down there because it keeps some battery power in reserve.

I don't have the air suspension, but I'm perfectly happy with the standard one.

·
Registered
225 Posts
1. I chose the XC60 for better gas mileage, slightly longer battery range and for a more sporty feel. And it just looks better to me.

2. T8! T8! T8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. I have air but have not ridden in one that doesn't so I can't tell you the difference. I do like the way mine rides. My suggestion would be go for the better seats with the massage function.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Would you agree this is a show-stopper for me for the T8 or am I overlooking something?
You are overlooking something

With the T8, if you are in Power mode or Constant AWD, the ERAD will always power the rear-axle, even if there is not enough battery for full driving.

From the manual:

"The Power drive mode is always available regardless of the hybrid battery's charge status"

That means you can have 400HP all the time, if you want.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Just bought a 2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription 3 weeks ago. Love it!! Time you deduct the Federal $5000 tax credit and if your state has any incentives, works out to be cheaper than the T6(or close to it)

Love the power.....but I find myself trying to go as far as possible on the battery..so I'm a very laid back driver now....where as with my Outback, I was zipping along!! But it is nice to step on the gas and feel it GOOO!

Love the massage/heat/ventilation seats!! The Massage is very nice...

I test drove it numerous times with air and no air....subtle difference, but not enough for me to buy it. Not once have I said to myself "Wish I had gotten the air suspension"

My commute is 20 miles 1 way....So I can make it totally on the battery.....my parking garage offers free charging!! You can google charging stations in your area and there are mnay APPS for your phone that show them.

I really dont have much negative things to say about the T8. On normal 120, takes around 7 hrs to fully charge....240 is around 3.5 hrs. I'm having that done soon to our garage, not sure of the cost, but dont expect it too be too bad

XC90 vs xc60....We dont have kids..so no real reason to get a bigger car.....I did test drive it for fun and yes it had a more luxurious feel to it, but too big for us, so never really considered it

1 option many on here say is a must..the up graded stereo. I had a loaner T8 for a week that had it....ya it was nice....but the standard stereo is pretty nice as well, and I'm quite happy with it.

The T6 with Polestar upgrade is pretty peppy, but its gas mpg is prob in the low to mid 20's.....T8 is a fair bit better..esp if your work commute is within battery range. Good luck with your choice

·
Registered
61 Posts
I really dont have much negative things to say about the T8. On normal 120, takes around 7 hrs to fully charge....240 is around 3.5 hrs. I'm having that done soon to our garage, not sure of the cost, but dont expect it too be too bad
It only takes 2.5 hours to charge with 240v because you can get 16 amps (3.84kW) vs only 12 amps with 120v (1.4kW)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And you'll never get to a fully depleted battery state, because it always saves a little in reserve in case you need it. If you ran the battery down completely and then suddenly needed the extra power for some reason (like passing on the interstate), you would be out of luck. The car won't let you down there because it keeps some battery power in reserve.
I guess I don't really understand how this works. So say you fully charge your battery and you drive n the standard (Hybrid?) mode... Approximately how many miles do you have to drive to fully deplete the battery? Which I thought meant you would drop back to the T6 316 HP specs, but it sounds from another reply that this would never happen.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With the T8, if you are in Power mode or Constant AWD, the ERAD will always power the rear-axle, even if there is not enough battery for full driving.

From the manual:

"The Power drive mode is always available regardless of the hybrid battery's charge status"

That means you can have 400HP all the time, if you want.
As per my previous comment, of all of the replies, this is the one that puzzles me most. :( Is there anywhere I can read how this works in more detail? I haven't been able to find anything clear on the Volvo US site. I especially puzzle about the AWD comment. I saw a couple of reviews on YouTube that state that once the battery is depleted (?) the car becomes FWD, meaning this is something that does happen.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My commute is 20 miles 1 way....So I can make it totally on the battery.....my parking garage offers free charging!! You can google charging stations in your area and there are mnay APPS for your phone that show them.

1 option many on here say is a must..the up graded stereo. I had a loaner T8 for a week that had it....ya it was nice....but the standard stereo is pretty nice as well, and I'm quite happy with it.

The T6 with Polestar upgrade is pretty peppy, but its gas mpg is prob in the low to mid 20's.....T8 is a fair bit better..esp if your work commute is within battery range. Good luck with your choice
Thanks to your response, I found the PlugShare site. Thanks! No free ones around my office and my 1-way commute is around 17 miles of 50/50 higway/city driving.

Even though I am no audiophile, audio is a big one for me, so I have read plenty of forums and seen plenty of videos on the Bowers & Wilkins vs. harman/kardon (standard on R-Design and Inscription) and the consensus seems to be it's not worth the upgrade unless you listen to classical music, which I do not.

Polestar is also almost a must for me, but since this is a software-only option, I am assuming it will be a low cost to the dealer and I will try to negotiate it in my deal as a later add-on through their Service Department rather than limit my options right now.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just realized I have almost 1,500 posts on this forum!!! haha I haven't visited in years (5 BMW's in a row). I may need to come back. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
As per my previous comment, of all of the replies, this is the one that puzzles me most. :( Is there anywhere I can read how this works in more detail? I haven't been able to find anything clear on the Volvo US site. I especially puzzle about the AWD comment. I saw a couple of reviews on YouTube that state that once the battery is depleted (?) the car becomes FWD, meaning this is something that does happen.
Well, you can read the manual online where it explains and contains the quote I had above.

As mentioned before, it keeps a reserve battery to ensure AWD mode if needed, and when in Power or Constant AWD mode, it uses the ICE to generate additional electricity to keep enough charge in the battery to allow the ERAD to run. There are various websites and youtube videos that explain the drivetrain as well.

But I want to make sure you are not confusing things. There are multiple driving modes:

Hybrid -- the car decides when to run the ERAD vs the ICE. Above 78 mph it has to run the ICE. When it is really cold it will turn on the ICE as well, and if you accelerate too fast it will turn it on. Otherwise you can run on just battery and get about 18-20 real world miles out of it. Once you run out of charge, it will turn on the ICE and will be front wheel only.

Pure -- battery only unless it absolutely need to turn on the ICE due to cold, or acceleration request. A little bit more leeway on acceleration but not much. If you run out, it turns on the ICE and runs as FWD

Power -- both ICE and ERAD are always running.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thanks to your response, I found the PlugShare site. Thanks! No free ones around my office and my 1-way commute is around 17 miles of 50/50 higway/city driving.

Even though I am no audiophile, audio is a big one for me, so I have read plenty of forums and seen plenty of videos on the Bowers & Wilkins vs. harman/kardon (standard on R-Design and Inscription) and the consensus seems to be it's not worth the upgrade unless you listen to classical music, which I do not.

Polestar is also almost a must for me, but since this is a software-only option, I am assuming it will be a low cost to the dealer and I will try to negotiate it in my deal as a later add-on through their Service Department rather than limit my options right now.
At this time, in the USA..you can't get Polestar for the T8....someone posted that its coming.....I have no interest in it for the T8...when I almost bought a T6, I was going to get Polestar added....

In the perfect weather conditions, I bet I could get 25-28 miles on battery...thats driving pretty mellow....My goal each day driving to work is too check the Volvo on call APP and see how little battery I have used...think the lowest for 20 miles is 6.6 kWh (on pure)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, you can read the manual online where it explains and contains the quote I had above.

As mentioned before, it keeps a reserve battery to ensure AWD mode if needed, and when in Power or Constant AWD mode, it uses the ICE to generate additional electricity to keep enough charge in the battery to allow the ERAD to run. There are various websites and youtube videos that explain the drivetrain as well.

But I want to make sure you are not confusing things. There are multiple driving modes:

Hybrid -- the car decides when to run the ERAD vs the ICE. Above 78 mph it has to run the ICE. When it is really cold it will turn on the ICE as well, and if you accelerate too fast it will turn it on. Otherwise you can run on just battery and get about 18-20 real world miles out of it. Once you run out of charge, it will turn on the ICE and will be front wheel only.

Pure -- battery only unless it absolutely need to turn on the ICE due to cold, or acceleration request. A little bit more leeway on acceleration but not much. If you run out, it turns on the ICE and runs as FWD

Power -- both ICE and ERAD are always running.
I didn't know what ERAD and ICE stood for, but reading your comments was enough to figure them out. It does sound funny when you say "When it is really cold it will turn on the ICE." hahaha

So now, I fully get it. Question... And I don't know if this has been measured or you know. Say you run this always in Power mode and have a long drive. I now understand the car will always drive as AWD and with 400 HP because the battery continues to get charged, basically at the cost of gas. Will the combined fuel economy be worse than that of the T6? Will you need to use more gas? I'm assuming so. I assume that this isn't the case until mile X, under which T8 trumps T6, but, eventually, T8 will consume more gas than the T6. I'm wondering when that X is. 50 miles? 500?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At this time, in the USA..you can't get Polestar for the T8....someone posted that its coming.....I have no interest in it for the T8...when I almost bought a T6, I was going to get Polestar added....
I believe we may not be talking about the same thing. I'm seeing tons of T6's (and I think T8's) in my area with a $1,295 Polestar option, which I assume is the calibration that the Polestar site talks about.

Here's that site:
https://engineered.polestar.com/intl/upgrades/optimisation/

And here's one of the many local listings (which will eventually expire once this vehicle sells, if you're reading this days/weeks from today):
https://www.gunthervolvocars.net/ne...creek-fl-2379d6ee0a0e0adf1072b16d8e98c023.htm

·
Registered
61 Posts
I didn't know what ERAD and ICE stood for, but reading your comments was enough to figure them out. It does sound funny when you say "When it is really cold it will turn on the ICE." hahaha

So now, I fully get it. Question... And I don't know if this has been measured or you know. Say you run this always in Power mode and have a long drive. I now understand the car will always drive as AWD and with 400 HP because the battery continues to get charged, basically at the cost of gas. Will the combined fuel economy be worse than that of the T6? Will you need to use more gas? I'm assuming so. I assume that this isn't the case until mile X, under which T8 trumps T6, but, eventually, T8 will consume more gas than the T6. I'm wondering when that X is. 50 miles? 500?

ICE -- Internal Combustion Engine
ERAD -- Electric Rear Axle Drive

And I don't think the gas mileage is any appreciably different when in Power mode on a T8 vs T6 due to generating the electricity (because it is essentially free because the engine is already spinning -- like the alternator). Any mileage difference would be because the T8 is heavier due to battery and drivetrain. There is a slight loss of mileage, but not as much as you would think.

Where you make up for it is there is no reason to be in Power mode when in bumper to bumper city driving -- you run in Pure and get your effective MPG to really go high.

I am sitting at about a 70mpg effective mileage right now because a lot of our trips are shorter and we can run it on battery the entire time. And when we do take it on the freeway, we still get 26mpg or so with spirited driving.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I believe we may not be talking about the same thing. I'm seeing tons of T6's (and I think T8's) in my area with a $1,295 Polestar option, which I assume is the calibration that the Polestar site talks about.

Here's that site:
https://engineered.polestar.com/intl/upgrades/optimisation/

And here's one of the many local listings (which will eventually expire once this vehicle sells, if you're reading this days/weeks from today):
https://www.gunthervolvocars.net/ne...creek-fl-2379d6ee0a0e0adf1072b16d8e98c023.htm

Try and find a way to select a 2019 T8 in the US in on that engineering site ;)

No polestar for T8 in the US, yet.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ICE -- Internal Combustion Engine
ERAD -- Electric Rear Axle Drive

And I don't think the gas mileage is any appreciably different when in Power mode on a T8 vs T6 due to generating the electricity (because it is essentially free because the engine is already spinning -- like the alternator). Any mileage difference would be because the T8 is heavier due to battery and drivetrain. There is a slight loss of mileage, but not as much as you would think.

Where you make it for it is there is no reason to be in Power mode when in bumper to bumper city driving -- you run in Pure and get your effective MPG to really go high.

I am sitting at about a 70mpg effective mileage right now because a lot of our trips are shorter and we can run it on battery the entire time. And when we do take it on the freeway, we still get 26mpg or so with spirited driving.
Thanks again for clarifying.

So... Pure mode. Do I still get 400 HP if I need them? Or am I better off in Hybrid for city driving if I still want to feel I'm driving a powerful/fast SUV? Is the feel between Pure and Hybrid different at all when stepping on the gas? Lag? All the things a good test drive would answer! I know. I am just trying to avoid walking in the dealer until I have a specific vehicle selected and a deal agreed upon. And we're so close.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
T6 yes, T8 no.
Right, then it's only the T6's where I've seen Polestar. I know I've seen a lot, but I have been looking at both T6 and T8, mostly T6. I also read somewhere that the Polestar gains are most noticeable on the T5, less noticeable on the T6 and barely on the T8.

·
Registered
251 Posts
All good points above, you don't 'use up' your battery and then end up with a T6 with extra weight to move around, you'll always have that 400HP on tap to pass/merge/humiliate other traffic.

Also, don't stress about the ~20 miles of range not being 'enough' for your commute, it's still a huge fraction of your drive and will give you Prius grade MPG for about the first 50'odd miles you drive every day:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts