SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

About to buy a XC90

11K views 55 replies 22 participants last post by  Automojo 
#1 ·
So after looking around and comparing to Land Rover LR4, Chevy Tahoe, Acura MDX, Audi Q7, etc, I've finally arrived to the conclusion that the XC90 '16 is probably the car for me. I have 4 kids so I do need the 3rd row and will use it a lot, but I tend to drive less than 10,000 miles/year.

I have some questions from those of you who have owned your XC90 for a while

A) Are all the option/packages worth it? The cars that come to the dealers here in the DC Metro area are pretty loaded. I understand that from a dealer/Volvo point of view but is it all really necessary? Do you find you are using them? The care seem to quickly jump from $50K to $58K. Does one really need all that extra? I'm fine with a back-up camera :)

B) Any initial report of quality issues? If so, in what areas? In general, I think it is a good idea to stay away from 1st year of a new generation of a car. At the same time, Volvo has so much riding on this release I don't see how they can afford any major mistakes.

C) Dealers around here are pretty set on selling it for MSRP... Anyone get a good deal yet? I normally pay at or close to dealer invoice.

I'll spend the next couple of days trying to find the right car/options and see if the last few days of Q3 will bring me a good deal. Last chance to talk me out of it... :)

Cheers,

Patrick

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you picked a winner!!! If you plan to keep the vehicle for a longer time, the upgrades are very much worth cost imho....
What options and model are you considering???

#3 · (Edited)
$58k Momentum+ with convenience and vision pkg, and HUD, is definite sweet pot if you don't want Inscription.

To save you some possible inconvenience mainly with the nav, voice control, and a few other electric quirks, a car after November software update will be better and save you one dealer visit. But it is still two months away.

#28 ·
Y

Agree with your Monentum Plus suggestion.....

#4 ·
I've owned over 4 months now (one of the first). Got a First Edition so it was loaded and honestly I am starting to forget what were options so I'm only sort of helpful on that question.

A) Personally I could have lived without the upgraded radio. Others love it. I guess it depends how big you are into sound and if you plan to often use high quality sources. If you are mostly listening to the radio (including satellite) it probably is a waste. I use the HUD but wouldn't pay a lot for it -- all the info is very nicely graphically displayed in the dash. I have no perspective what it would be like without the air suspension but my guess is this one is worth it. And you definitely want the camera and driving assistance packages. The Adaptive Cruise Control is probably my single most used feature in the car.

B) There are tons and tons of mostly minor glitches with the software and electronics in the car. At least dozens. Again, mostly minor. Lots of topics on that here. They range from trivial to annoying to in a few isolated cases alarming (both those have been very isolated). I haven't seen any owners regret purchase over them yet and most of us are holding out hope they are addressed in upcoming software revisions. I've had no issue with the "drive." Really nice. My wife thinks so too. And no quality issues with the physical build yet either.

c) Paid full MSRP. Again, it was a First Edition and no one was bargaining on those.

#9 ·
I've owned over 4 months now (one of the first). Got a First Edition so it was loaded and honestly I am starting to forget what were options so I'm only sort of helpful on that question.

A) Personally I could have lived without the upgraded radio. Others love it. I guess it depends how big you are into sound and if you plan to often use high quality sources. If you are mostly listening to the radio (including satellite) it probably is a waste. I use the HUD but wouldn't pay a lot for it -- all the info is very nicely graphically displayed in the dash. I have no perspective what it would be like without the air suspension but my guess is this one is worth it. And you definitely want the camera and driving assistance packages. The Adaptive Cruise Control is probably my single most used feature in the car.

B) There are tons and tons of mostly minor glitches with the software and electronics in the car. At least dozens. Again, mostly minor. Lots of topics on that here. They range from trivial to annoying to in a few isolated cases alarming (both those have been very isolated). I haven't seen any owners regret purchase over them yet and most of us are holding out hope they are addressed in upcoming software revisions. I've had no issue with the "drive." Really nice. My wife thinks so too. And no quality issues with the physical build yet either.

c) Paid full MSRP. Again, it was a First Edition and no one was bargaining on those.
Thanks for your perspective.....

#5 ·
I agree with GregK. I would get the upgrades simply because they are very cost-effective and when cars become self-driving, you will need all of the sensors. Volvo is currently leading on the tech front. I guess, the one thing that you could skip is the Heated second row/windshield package, if you are in a warm climate. Also, you can skip the HUD, if you wear polarized sunglasses. The jury is still out on the Air-suspension. Definitely won't be as durable as the standard leaf.

Also, I would caution you as this is a first production year car. I would wait one year. I was willing to risk it because I drive less than 5k miles a year and this is a third car.

M

#6 ·
What I wanted was adaptive cruise control which comes in the convenience package. I've wanted this and pretty much rule out any vehicle that doesn't have it because of how much I use regular cruise control so often, I've been itching at the chance to have ACC. Other than that, I really didn't care for anything else. I consider the Momentum very well equipped but please note that I'm coming from a Ford Escape. It was a titanium with the awd two liter and doesn't come close to the XC90 on fit and finish. Maybe if you're coming from a luxury SUV, you may find the Momentum lacking but that isn't my experience. Mine has the convenience package, BLIS and metallic paint. I think I can do without the BLIS, but my wife who may occasionally drive it may find it useful. Being that I didn't want and doubt I'd use many other features, I'd feel taken if I had paid for them. I did check out an inscription but my conclusion stands, I then told my salesman what I wanted and he found it. I'm very happy with my purchase. They should be able to find you a few to check out, good luck.

#7 ·
We did the Vision Package and also included other options. We figured that we didn't wanna do the whole package and since we did the OSD program we got to do ala carte on other features.

So we got Adaptive Cruise Control with Pilot Assist and Lane Keeping Aid; which I really love, I used it a lot. If you do a lot of road trips like my family do, then you should consider it for me this is the best feature our car had. But since you said you only drive 10k or less a year then I guess you could skip on that. You can use the Pilot Assist during heavy traffic though so think about it.

We put Full LED Headlights w/ ABL/Active High Beams - Thor Hammer DRL; I really like having this too because most of the roads we've been to are dark and remote so this really helped a lot plus the Thor hammer DRL looks great!

Looking back we wished we've included the Contour Leather Seats with the leg extender and the B&W sound system when we ordered the car but who knows after being given another chance to build a new one maybe we'll add 'em.;)

There are so many features that the car already has so with or without any of the additional options included I believe the XC90 is rightly suited for your family's needs.

#8 ·
I have a FE fully loaded. Though I don't need every single option I really like some of them up into inscription trim level. The 360 camera is very useful, way more than a backup. I also love the look and feel of the ventilated inscription seats. I love the HUD. And I really like the acc.

#10 ·
When I went to the dealership and ordered my xc90, they told me a vision package would wait until next February to deliver if I add it, so I choose a dealer ordered one which does not have the surrounding view but come with the BLIS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I have also read about potential delays with the amber interior, but have not heard anything about the vision package causing delays. I hope this is not the case. I placed my order (which included vision) late August and have an estimated mid-November eta.

#15 ·
I'm curious as to why ordering the Vision Package would delay a delivery????

#16 ·
There was a supplier issue (could not keep up with the demand) for vehicles made right before the annual summer break, but that is no longer an issue. Vision package should not cause a delay.

#17 ·
Many thanks for the input so far

Many thanks for the kind reception since it was my first post the forum - Tack så mycket! :)

- I do think the 360 camera makes sense, so I guess Vision Package is a go.

- I'm a bit of an audiophile, at least I was before all the kids but in the car I usually only listen to NPR.

- I never use cruise-control on any of my cars and I prefer to park myself so it doesn't seem like $1,800 for a Convenience Package is very... convenient.

- Air-suspension... My other car is a Toyota Land Cruiser so I'm sure this ride will feel very smooth anyhow comparatively speaking.

The thing that gets to me is the wait and price. I've never paid MSRP for any car. Ever. I don't see why I would start now. And ordering one only to wait months and months doesn't seem very appealing. The dealers are definitely holding the upper hand in this negotiation, which is a new experience to me.

#18 ·
The thing that gets to me is the wait and price. I've never paid MSRP for any car. Ever. I don't see why I would start now. And ordering one only to wait months and months doesn't seem very appealing. The dealers are definitely holding the upper hand in this negotiation, which is a new experience to me.
I know how you feel. I've never paid MSRP before and I actually like haggling, but I couldn't wait until a year or two before this car was going to have any discounts.

#25 ·
My experience so far with options that I not had/ used before. Switched from XC90 2010 Premium+ to XC90 FE witch have pretty much everything included in the Inscription package.
1. Pilot Assist . Good but still nervous about using it. My foot it's always in the 'ready' to break position.
2. ACC - Used a lot and I kinda like it :) - Definitely a must to have.
3. HUD - Never used before but now I barely watch at the instrument panel. Very useful at least for me. Oh .. Polarized glasses? No problem here or may be my glasses.
4. Sound. Well depends on what music means to you. Which kind of speakers do you use at home? That would define your option. My prev XC90 had the Dynaudio and I really enjoy it. Those B&W are amazing.
5. Vision Package. Just take it :). 360 camera it's just awesome.
6. Ventilated seats. Yup .. Happy with it but probably you can live without.
7. Air suspension - The ride it's smoother but not that a big deal if you don't have it. Again this depends on your everyday ride and numbers of potholes you may encounter :).

There are some small glitches as everyone noticed but hopefully those will be addressed after November update.

#31 ·
Onyx black, convenience and vision package is what is what I'm leaning towards at this point, no the problem is to find the car without having to special order it.

I never encountered Volvo dealers/sales people this arrogant before. For the first time in a very long time (ever?) they have higher demand than supply, and they are being arrogant about it.

#34 ·
I 100% agree with PatrickS regarding the comment about Volvo dealers being arrogant. I am a BMW owner and in the market for an SUV. I have never been treated with any arrogance at the BMW dealerships. After researching I decided to settle on Volvo XC90 or Audi Q7 but after talking to Volvo sales folks at several dealerships and seeing their arrogance I am not sure if I want to stay with this brand.

I am in Southern California and have practically spoken to all dealerships. I would avoid Santa Monica Volvo at all costs. They are a bunch of rude, arrogant folks who don't know what a customer service is. I called them to get a quote and they kept insisting I come and visit their dealership to get a quote. I asked them to give me a price on the Momentum trim and if I like it then I will visit so that we can avoid wasting each other's time. They quoted me a MSRP and said there is a dealer markup of up to $10,000 that I can come at their dealership and negotiate with them ! No thank you !

This arrogance will only last till Audi launches their Q7, which I was disappointed got pushed out to later this year. If Audi was available now, I will just get that and avoid Volvo considering their terrible sales people and customer service in my opinion.

Volvo made a good car after a long time and the dealerships are seeing this as an opportunity to milk out every penny that they can considering they have been going in loss for a long time. They should however not forget that customer service is important and specially getting new customers that are not a part of their fan club.

#32 ·
PatrickS, if your local dealers are hard to deal, may I suggest any of the following people in this forum: William Marks (William), Yannis (GrecianVolvo) or Bob (UniversityVolvo)?
Any of these three fine gentlemen can help you out. We've had the pleasure to deal directly with William for two of our cars and can't be any happier.
Don't worry about their location in the US: talk to any of them and you will be happy too.

#33 ·
Thank you for the endorsement but I do not sell Volvos, as I work for VCNA. Nevertheless, I can vouch for the two esteemed Volvo sales consultants, William and Bob; they are super nice, possess a deep knowledge and love for the Volvo brand and have great customer service skills.

#35 ·
During my buying experience, I also saw this exact arrogance in the NYC/long island area.

At my first dealership, before I could even sit down, the sales manager told me, "the price is msrp, there are no exceptions, there is a 16 week order time and all our floor models are sold." He told me that before I uttered one word.

However, there are many dealers and this has been my experience shopping any semi-exclusive car. I think these guys have not had a hot product in a decade and are drunk on the power.

However, it just meant digging harder for a more hungry dealership and I found one and did not pay msrp, but close to it.

I figure that I will have the car for 3-6 years and my dealings with a dealership will amount to no more than a few hours so I do not sweat it.

Best,
M

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

#36 ·
If you are in NY/NJ area, try Kundert Volvo Hasbrouck Heights location.
www.kundertvolvo.com
They are extremely nice over there and very helpful.

#38 ·
I really regret not ordering the convenience package. After hearing all the rave review of the ACC, I wish I ordered it. I currently have an inscription model on order with vision, 21 inch rims , B&W, and Center booster. My ETA is currently November 19. I am assuming it's too late to make a change? Anyone know?

#39 ·
I would think so. My original order had a Last Date of Change of 9/17 and an ETA of 11/6. I assume your last date of change has passed, based on your ETA.

#41 ·
That's an excellent find, pretty much what I have on order. You wouldn't have gotten a discount in any case, so don't sweat that. Does it have the charcoal headliner? Congrats...

#42 · (Edited)
Charcoal headliner? I'm not even sure I know what that is? :) Here is what it has:

T rims
T6 AWD
Powertrains T6 AWD $ 49,800
Colors
Onyx Black Metallic $ 560
Wheels
20 x 9 - 5-Double Spoke Matte Tech Black Alloy Wheels $ 750
Upholstery
Amber Leather
Steering Wheel
Leather Steering Wheel w/Deco Inlay
Gearshift Knob
Leather Gearshift Knob

Packages
Momentum Plus | Full LED Headlights w/Auto Bending Lights/Active High Beams | Headlight High-Pressure Cleaning |
Illuminated Sill Plates | Interior High Level Illumination | Dark Flame Birch Wood Inlays | $ 1,900 | Convenience Package | Park Assist Pilot/Front Park Assist | Homelink® Remote Garage Door Opener | Adaptive Cruise Control with Pilot Assist | Compass (Interior Rearview Mirror) | Grocery Bag Holder | 12V Power Outlet, Cargo Area | Lane Keeping Aid | $ 1,800 | Vision Package | Blind Spot Information System & Cross Traffic Alert | 360° Surround View Camera | Automatically Dimmed Inner & Exterior Mirrors | Retractable Rear-view Mirrors | $ 1,800

Safety & Security
Remote-controlled Alarm | Prep for Interior Motion Sensor | Keyless Entry w/ Hands-free Power Tailgate Opening | Private Locking | Power Child Locks, Rear Side Doors | Central Lock Switch w/Diodes in Front and Rear Doors | Tempered Glass - Rear & Side Doors | Illuminated Door Handles | Foglights in Front Spoiler | Halogen Headlights | Emergency Brake Light, Extended Light Area | Collision Mitigation Support, Front | Lane Departure Warning | Road Sign Information (RSI) | Volvo On Call | Key Entry

Driver's Support, Audio & Communications
Heated Windshield Washer Nozzles | Illuminated Vanity Mirrors | Automatically Dimmed Inner Mirror | Mid-level Interior Illumination | Temporary Spare Tire | Jack | Cruise Control | Park Assist Camera | Park Assist Rear | Personal Settings, Power Steering | Hill Descent Control | Rainsensor | 12.3 inch Digital Instrument Display | High Performance Audio | Remote Audio Controls in Steering Wheel | 1 AUX and 1 USB Connection | Navigation | HD Radio w/SiriusTM Satellite Radio w/ 6-Month Subscription | Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

Comfort & Storage
4-zone Electronic Climate Control | Air Conditioning, Third Row Seats | Clean Zone Air Quality System | Humidity Sensor | Tinted Windows, Rear Doors and Cargo Area | Laminated Panoramic Sunroof w/Power Sunshade | 10-way, Power Driver Seat incl. Power Lumbar & Driver Seat Memory | 10-way, Power Passenger Seat incl. Power Lumbar & Driver Seat Memory | 4-way Power Adjustable Lumbar Support | Heated Front Seats | 3rd Row Backrest (fold & rise) | Power Folding Rear Headrests | Center Armrests w/Cupholders | Armrest with Cupholder and Storage LH/RH Side in Third Row Seats | Storage Tray Right Side of Cargo Area w/Bottle Holder Strap

Interior & Exterior Styling
Standard Color Headliner | Leather Steering Wheel w/Deco Inlay | Leather Gearshift Knob | Standard Pedals | Textile Carpet | Textile Carpet, Third Row | Aluminum Sill Moulding | Silver Roof Rails | Front Grille, High-gloss Black | Brightwork Side Windows | Color-Coorindated Sills and Bumpers | Color-Coordinated Wheel Arches (19 inch wheels and larger) | Dual Integrated Tailpipes | Color-coordinated Rear View Mirror Covers

Inlays
Aluminum Inlays

Pack & Load
Hands free, Power Tailgate | Cargo Cover | Aluminum Cargo Scuff Plate | Storage Compartment (under load floor)

#44 ·
Looks like a very efficient build to me. You are sacrificing the three fairly luxury, but unnecessary features: air suspension, climate zoned second row, B/W stereo. The inscription has the higher caliber leather, but if you like what you test drove, you cannot go wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.