SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after looking around and comparing to Land Rover LR4, Chevy Tahoe, Acura MDX, Audi Q7, etc, I've finally arrived to the conclusion that the XC90 '16 is probably the car for me. I have 4 kids so I do need the 3rd row and will use it a lot, but I tend to drive less than 10,000 miles/year.

I have some questions from those of you who have owned your XC90 for a while

A) Are all the option/packages worth it? The cars that come to the dealers here in the DC Metro area are pretty loaded. I understand that from a dealer/Volvo point of view but is it all really necessary? Do you find you are using them? The care seem to quickly jump from $50K to $58K. Does one really need all that extra? I'm fine with a back-up camera :)

B) Any initial report of quality issues? If so, in what areas? In general, I think it is a good idea to stay away from 1st year of a new generation of a car. At the same time, Volvo has so much riding on this release I don't see how they can afford any major mistakes.

C) Dealers around here are pretty set on selling it for MSRP... Anyone get a good deal yet? I normally pay at or close to dealer invoice.

I'll spend the next couple of days trying to find the right car/options and see if the last few days of Q3 will bring me a good deal. Last chance to talk me out of it... :)

Cheers,

Patrick

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I think you picked a winner!!! If you plan to keep the vehicle for a longer time, the upgrades are very much worth cost imho....
What options and model are you considering???

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
$58k Momentum+ with convenience and vision pkg, and HUD, is definite sweet pot if you don't want Inscription.

To save you some possible inconvenience mainly with the nav, voice control, and a few other electric quirks, a car after November software update will be better and save you one dealer visit. But it is still two months away.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I've owned over 4 months now (one of the first). Got a First Edition so it was loaded and honestly I am starting to forget what were options so I'm only sort of helpful on that question.

A) Personally I could have lived without the upgraded radio. Others love it. I guess it depends how big you are into sound and if you plan to often use high quality sources. If you are mostly listening to the radio (including satellite) it probably is a waste. I use the HUD but wouldn't pay a lot for it -- all the info is very nicely graphically displayed in the dash. I have no perspective what it would be like without the air suspension but my guess is this one is worth it. And you definitely want the camera and driving assistance packages. The Adaptive Cruise Control is probably my single most used feature in the car.

B) There are tons and tons of mostly minor glitches with the software and electronics in the car. At least dozens. Again, mostly minor. Lots of topics on that here. They range from trivial to annoying to in a few isolated cases alarming (both those have been very isolated). I haven't seen any owners regret purchase over them yet and most of us are holding out hope they are addressed in upcoming software revisions. I've had no issue with the "drive." Really nice. My wife thinks so too. And no quality issues with the physical build yet either.

c) Paid full MSRP. Again, it was a First Edition and no one was bargaining on those.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree with GregK. I would get the upgrades simply because they are very cost-effective and when cars become self-driving, you will need all of the sensors. Volvo is currently leading on the tech front. I guess, the one thing that you could skip is the Heated second row/windshield package, if you are in a warm climate. Also, you can skip the HUD, if you wear polarized sunglasses. The jury is still out on the Air-suspension. Definitely won't be as durable as the standard leaf.

Also, I would caution you as this is a first production year car. I would wait one year. I was willing to risk it because I drive less than 5k miles a year and this is a third car.

M

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
What I wanted was adaptive cruise control which comes in the convenience package. I've wanted this and pretty much rule out any vehicle that doesn't have it because of how much I use regular cruise control so often, I've been itching at the chance to have ACC. Other than that, I really didn't care for anything else. I consider the Momentum very well equipped but please note that I'm coming from a Ford Escape. It was a titanium with the awd two liter and doesn't come close to the XC90 on fit and finish. Maybe if you're coming from a luxury SUV, you may find the Momentum lacking but that isn't my experience. Mine has the convenience package, BLIS and metallic paint. I think I can do without the BLIS, but my wife who may occasionally drive it may find it useful. Being that I didn't want and doubt I'd use many other features, I'd feel taken if I had paid for them. I did check out an inscription but my conclusion stands, I then told my salesman what I wanted and he found it. I'm very happy with my purchase. They should be able to find you a few to check out, good luck.

·
Registered
241 Posts
We did the Vision Package and also included other options. We figured that we didn't wanna do the whole package and since we did the OSD program we got to do ala carte on other features.

So we got Adaptive Cruise Control with Pilot Assist and Lane Keeping Aid; which I really love, I used it a lot. If you do a lot of road trips like my family do, then you should consider it for me this is the best feature our car had. But since you said you only drive 10k or less a year then I guess you could skip on that. You can use the Pilot Assist during heavy traffic though so think about it.

We put Full LED Headlights w/ ABL/Active High Beams - Thor Hammer DRL; I really like having this too because most of the roads we've been to are dark and remote so this really helped a lot plus the Thor hammer DRL looks great!

Looking back we wished we've included the Contour Leather Seats with the leg extender and the B&W sound system when we ordered the car but who knows after being given another chance to build a new one maybe we'll add 'em.;)

There are so many features that the car already has so with or without any of the additional options included I believe the XC90 is rightly suited for your family's needs.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I have a FE fully loaded. Though I don't need every single option I really like some of them up into inscription trim level. The 360 camera is very useful, way more than a backup. I also love the look and feel of the ventilated inscription seats. I love the HUD. And I really like the acc.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I've owned over 4 months now (one of the first). Got a First Edition so it was loaded and honestly I am starting to forget what were options so I'm only sort of helpful on that question.

A) Personally I could have lived without the upgraded radio. Others love it. I guess it depends how big you are into sound and if you plan to often use high quality sources. If you are mostly listening to the radio (including satellite) it probably is a waste. I use the HUD but wouldn't pay a lot for it -- all the info is very nicely graphically displayed in the dash. I have no perspective what it would be like without the air suspension but my guess is this one is worth it. And you definitely want the camera and driving assistance packages. The Adaptive Cruise Control is probably my single most used feature in the car.

B) There are tons and tons of mostly minor glitches with the software and electronics in the car. At least dozens. Again, mostly minor. Lots of topics on that here. They range from trivial to annoying to in a few isolated cases alarming (both those have been very isolated). I haven't seen any owners regret purchase over them yet and most of us are holding out hope they are addressed in upcoming software revisions. I've had no issue with the "drive." Really nice. My wife thinks so too. And no quality issues with the physical build yet either.

c) Paid full MSRP. Again, it was a First Edition and no one was bargaining on those.
Thanks for your perspective.....

·
Registered
136 Posts
When I went to the dealership and ordered my xc90, they told me a vision package would wait until next February to deliver if I add it, so I choose a dealer ordered one which does not have the surrounding view but come with the BLIS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
702 Posts
Middle August
Thanks for the context. When I ordered with Vision Package and Amber leather (also rumored to lengthen delivery time) last week my dealer told me they expected delivery before the end of the year. I will be eager to see what they come back with now that the order is finalized.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have also read about potential delays with the amber interior, but have not heard anything about the vision package causing delays. I hope this is not the case. I placed my order (which included vision) late August and have an estimated mid-November eta.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I'm curious as to why ordering the Vision Package would delay a delivery????

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I'm curious as to why ordering the Vision Package would delay a delivery????
There was a supplier issue (could not keep up with the demand) for vehicles made right before the annual summer break, but that is no longer an issue. Vision package should not cause a delay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Many thanks for the input so far

Many thanks for the kind reception since it was my first post the forum - Tack så mycket! :)

- I do think the 360 camera makes sense, so I guess Vision Package is a go.

- I'm a bit of an audiophile, at least I was before all the kids but in the car I usually only listen to NPR.

- I never use cruise-control on any of my cars and I prefer to park myself so it doesn't seem like $1,800 for a Convenience Package is very... convenient.

- Air-suspension... My other car is a Toyota Land Cruiser so I'm sure this ride will feel very smooth anyhow comparatively speaking.

The thing that gets to me is the wait and price. I've never paid MSRP for any car. Ever. I don't see why I would start now. And ordering one only to wait months and months doesn't seem very appealing. The dealers are definitely holding the upper hand in this negotiation, which is a new experience to me.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The thing that gets to me is the wait and price. I've never paid MSRP for any car. Ever. I don't see why I would start now. And ordering one only to wait months and months doesn't seem very appealing. The dealers are definitely holding the upper hand in this negotiation, which is a new experience to me.
I know how you feel. I've never paid MSRP before and I actually like haggling, but I couldn't wait until a year or two before this car was going to have any discounts.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Many thanks for the kind reception since it was my first post the forum - Tack så mycket! :)

- I do think the 360 camera makes sense, so I guess Vision Package is a go.

- I'm a bit of an audiophile, at least I was before all the kids but in the car I usually only listen to NPR.

- I never use cruise-control on any of my cars and I prefer to park myself so it doesn't seem like $1,800 for a Convenience Package is very... convenient.

- Air-suspension... My other car is a Toyota Land Cruiser so I'm sure this ride will feel very smooth anyhow comparatively speaking.

Totally your call of course, but I would point out that the difference between Cruise Control and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) is like the difference between a push stick lawn cutter and a ride-on mower. It's several orders of magnitude more useful. I rarely used cruise control in my previous cars because it only really was useful on long stretches of highway when it wasn't too crowded which here in the Northeast isn't that often. And my wife never, ever used it. Didn't even bother to learn how.

I use ACC every day on regular roads. My wife even uses it. On my typical commute I go on a road that shifts from 25 to 35 to 50 to 40 to 35 to 25 again over the course of 10 miles. With ACC I can set that I want to travel 5 miles over the posted limit. If the traffic in front of me requires a slower speed, it figures it out and adjusts a necessary. If the car slows to a stop, ACC can slow my car to a stop, and start again when traffic resumes. When the speed limit changes, a couple quick twitches of my thumb on the wheel and my speed is adjusted to 5 miles over whatever the new limit is. Etc. If I'm not paying attention and drive into a zone with a slower speed and don't reduce mine, both he dash display and the HUD will flash the speed limit sign to get my attention to alert me I am exceeding the posted speed. I like controlling my drive too, but its amazing how convenient it is to let ACC handle the speed for you on everyday road and not just highways. If I was only driving in an urban area with new stop signs every 500 feet I wouldn't bother, but short of that, it's useful. You can even variably control how close it follows the car in front of you.

Just saying if you haven't experienced it, don't assume your previous experience with regular cruise control is anything like it.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Totally your call of course, but I would point out that the difference between Cruise Control and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) is like the difference between a push stick lawn cutter and a ride-on mower. It's several orders of magnitude more useful. I rarely used cruise control in my previous cars because it only really was useful on long stretches of highway when it wasn't too crowded which here in the Northeast isn't that often. And my wife never, ever used it. Didn't even bother to learn how.

I use ACC every day on regular roads. My wife even uses it. On my typical commute I go on a road that shifts from 25 to 35 to 50 to 40 to 35 to 25 again over the course of 10 miles. With ACC I can set that I want to travel 5 miles over the posted limit. If the traffic in front of me requires a slower speed, it figures it out and adjusts a necessary. If the car slows to a stop, ACC can slow my car to a stop, and start again when traffic resumes. When the speed limit changes, a couple quick twitches of my thumb on the wheel and my speed is adjusted to 5 miles over whatever the new limit is. Etc. If I'm not paying attention and drive into a zone with a slower speed and don't reduce mine, both he dash display and the HUD will flash the speed limit sign to get my attention to alert me I am exceeding the posted speed. I like controlling my drive too, but its amazing how convenient it is to let ACC handle the speed for you on everyday road and not just highways. If I was only driving in an urban area with new stop signs every 500 feet I wouldn't bother, but short of that, it's useful. You can even variably control how close it follows the car in front of you.

Just saying if you haven't experienced it, don't assume your previous experience with regular cruise control is anything like it.
ACC and Pilot Assist together is the thing today most close to semi-autonomous drive coming in 5 years. With these you won't envy those Drive-Me cars on road that much and want to change vehicle 5 years later.
Personally $1800 is a very good deal to me consider Drive-Me cars will be easily over $10k more.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts