SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XC60 Inscription Recharge Extended Range
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I drove a loaner V60 from the dealership that had the old Sensus system, and while Sensus has a few features and navigational features that are a little nicer, the maps are poor and the visual design even worse. There's a lot of griping about AAOS around here--much of it justified, especially with regards to missing OnCall functionality--but from my first hand experience, it's really an amazing step forward. Google Maps was honestly a big selling point for even buying a Volvo. So happy to have it.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
True, AAOS is superior to Sensus, but it is also true that AAOS also lags behind the German competition Audi Q5, BMW X3, and especially from MBUX system from the new GLC model that uses artificial intelligence.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree with your overall comments. HOWEVER, the extremely poor quality assurance on the Volvo implementation of AAOS is totally inexcusable. Many basic functionalities of Sensus which worked well and reliably (tested and proven algorithms and software/hardware interfaces) but either dont work or are glitchy in AAOS. When these functionalities were incorporated in Volvo's AAOS implementation, many failed to work correctly. This reflects a lack of software validation and software/hardware quality assurance. While part of the issues may be the responsibility of Google, as the customer I look to Volvo to assure systems its sell work reliably when utilized. In my view, Volvo bears the ultimate responsibility and needs to be performing in depth Quality Assurance on 3rd party systems.

In my opinion to rectify this current situation, Volvo (together with Google) needs to dedicate a highly skilled software/hardware team charged with identifying and QUICKLY implementing effective corrective actions to resolve system issues and implement basic system enhancements. These need to be thoroughly tested and rapidly dispersed to customers now that OTA updates are available. Volvo needs to restore its credibility for attention to detail and safety in the mind of its many loyal customers, apologize to its customers and specifically say what it is going to do to rectify the situation. This was a key part of the value equation and why customers were willing to pay more for the purchase of a Volvo. One needs to look no further than all the negative comments on various blogs and internet sites and as a result the current experience with AAOS has significantly eroded customer trust and raised concerns on the part of potential customers interested in purchasing a Volvo.

·
Registered
2022 XC60 Inscription Recharge Extended Range
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with your overall comments. HOWEVER, the extremely poor quality assurance on the Volvo implementation of AAOS is totally inexcusable. Many basic functionalities of Sensus which worked well and reliably (tested and proven algorithms and software/hardware interfaces) but either dont work or are glitchy in AAOS. When these functionalities were incorporated in Volvo's AAOS implementation, many failed to work correctly. This reflects a lack of software validation and software/hardware quality assurance. While part of the issues may be the responsibility of Google, as the customer I look to Volvo to assure systems its sell work reliably when utilized. In my view, Volvo bears the ultimate responsibility and needs to be performing in depth Quality Assurance on 3rd party systems.

In my opinion to rectify this current situation, Volvo (together with Google) needs to dedicate a highly skilled software/hardware team charged with identifying and QUICKLY implementing effective corrective actions to resolve system issues and implement basic system enhancements. These need to be thoroughly tested and rapidly dispersed to customers now that OTA updates are available. Volvo needs to restore its credibility for attention to detail and safety in the mind of its many loyal customers, apologize to its customers and specifically say what it is going to do to rectify the situation. This was a key part of the value equation and why customers were willing to pay more for the purchase of a Volvo. One needs to look no further than all the negative comments on various blogs and internet sites and as a result the current experience with AAOS has significantly eroded customer trust and raised concerns on the part of potential customers interested in purchasing a Volvo.
I agree with you on that front.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I liked SENSUS ok. It had a certain elegance about it, but it did get dated pretty quickly. It was very stable and it had a lot of options and customizability.

AAOS is less stable, and seems glued into the vehicle (so that the workings of the steering wheel switches are counter intuitive). However, I really enjoy it overall and like it better than SENSUS. I don't think the major QC issues described above have been an issue for me though. I've only found minor bugs.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think AAOS is good when all the functions are fully developed and bug free. For now, it is still feeling like a half-baked, rush to the market product.
That intern is going to get to the equalizer one of these model years, he swears.

I think there are definitely some functional improvements (what UX designer ever thought it made sense in Sensus to waste half the screen with that inane Guidance/Media/Phone by Apple CarPlay nonsense, or require swiping and pecking to get at the damn camera). But with Sensus, I always know what I'm going to get. Our AAOS car glitches out all the time. They've also introduced a some unforced errors that are real head-scratchers. Removing Pilot Assist lane keeping toggle from the steering wheel buttons and burying it in a settings screen is a noteworthy one. Charge limit feature that does whatever the hell it wants to do when you try to change it. Over at xc40forums.com, there are thread after thread explaining the various restart and reset sequences, rain dances, incantations, etc. that people use to get around that one. I also always end up double hitting the button to bring up the expanded climate control screen because it still lags so bad.

Now that CarPlay has finally made it, a lot of our quibbles are smoothed over, because we can just access things in CarPlay that were missing or deficient before.

It just has felt like a beta product for way too long past the first delivery of product.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Using both Senses and AAOS I now prefer AAOS. I have not encountered issues since OTA 2.0. Sensus is very annoying when it doesn't even recognise a post code so can't navigate!
And the voice control in Sensus sucks in comparison. AAOS is my preference and now it has audio file playback from a usb drive too its happy days. I do like the ability to change the dash view in Sensus and wish AAOS had choices but maybe that's something to come. Having said all that no matter which OS the car has, still like driving with both.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The voice control in SENSUS is not even in the same league as a AAOS. Two extremes there.

I do like SENSUS but the voice control issue was my biggest complaint with that system.

·
Registered
2022 XC60 T8 Recharge
128 Posts
I like how AAOS can link to my smart home app. That's something no other system can do. If I just have my car, and forget my phone and key, I can still get home by asking the in car google to open my garage door.

Even though I complained about it is a half baked product, certain aspects are still far ahead of others. Well, no matter how good is BMW, Audi, Mercedes infotainment system, I doubt they can open my garage door with voice commands.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I like how AAOS can link to my smart home app. That's something no other system can do. If I just have my car, and forget my phone and key, I can still get home by asking the in car google to open my garage door.

Even though I complained about it is a half baked product, certain aspects are still far ahead of others. Well, no matter how good is BMW, Audi, Mercedes infotainment system, I doubt they can open my garage door with voice commands.
Mercedes has it

Is it so hard to click of a button on your rearview mirror :unsure:

·
Registered
2022 XC60 T8 Recharge
128 Posts
Mercedes has it

Is it so hard to click of a button on your rearview mirror :unsure:
Still not as convenience as Google, as I will have to replace hardware to get it onto the Merc.

I am interested to see how those car infotainment systems are going to complete with Google and Apple (and Amazon Alexa ?).

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Still not as convenience as Google, as I will have to replace hardware to get it onto the Merc.

I am interested to see how those car infotainment systems are going to complete with Google and Apple (and Amazon Alexa ?).
You are trying to show that AAOS is better than the competition
Apple and Amazon Alexa are not that popular in Europe at all.
Everyone else has Andorid Auto, when Volvo will integrate Android Auto into AAOS ?
I have Google Live in my Q5 MY 2018, Audi has used it in their cars since 2014 , Volvo from 2022

·
Registered
2022 XC60 T8 Recharge
128 Posts
You are trying to show that AAOS is better than the competition
Apple and Amazon Alexa are not that popular in Europe at all.
Everyone else has Andorid Auto, when Volvo will integrate Android Auto into AAOS ?
I have Google Live in my Q5 MY 2018, Audi has used it in their cars since 2014 , Volvo from 2022
No No No No No.

Please don't mix up AAOS and Android Auto, they are two different thing. I think we have talked about this in other thread.

AAOS is the operating system that sits in the car, which you can consider it is another phone/tablet that sit in the car and has connection to communicate with the car. Android Auto, Car Play, they are just phone mirroring - they cannot do anything with the car or read the car status (at least for now, with the new Apple Car Play announcement recently, I believe there will be some kind of new protocols/APIs allowing Apple to communicate with the car, may able to read battery / charge status and does what AAOS is doing now).

Your Google Map in Android Auto will not able to optimise your fuel usage, but Google Map in AAOS can ( if you are driving a T8).

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
No No No No No.

Please don't mix up AAOS and Android Auto, they are two different thing. I think we have talked about this in other thread.

AAOS is the operating system that sits in the car, which you can consider it is another phone/tablet that sit in the car and has connection to communicate with the car. Android Auto, Car Play, they are just phone mirroring - they cannot do anything with the car or read the car status (at least for now, with the new Apple Car Play announcement recently, I believe there will be some kind of new protocols/APIs allowing Apple to communicate with the car, may able to read battery / charge status and does what AAOS is doing now).

Your Google Map in Android Auto will not able to optimise your fuel usage, but Google Map in AAOS can ( if you are driving a T8).
Wow means optimization of consumption is so important . Well, it has a system in the car
I only mentioned AA as an example, just as Audi has long had wireless connectivity with Car Play

Look on YouTube at the possibilities and options that competitors have, and you will understand that the Volvo AAOS lags behind those possibilities.
My Q5 MY2018 has a system that was introduced in 2016 and has features and options that are better than the 2022 Volvo AAOS.
The only thing missing in my model is the touch screen but that was added for MY2020
Go to the Mercedes showroom and test the possibilities in the new GLC MY2023, then you will understand the difference, this way you don't know what you are talking about

·
Registered
2022 XC60 T8 Recharge
128 Posts
Wow means optimization of consumption is so important . Well, it has a system in the car
I only mentioned AA as an example, just as Audi has long had wireless connectivity with Car Play

Look on YouTube at the possibilities and options that competitors have, and you will understand that the Volvo AAOS lags behind those possibilities.
My Q5 MY2018 has a system that was introduced in 2016 and has features and options that are better than the 2022 Volvo AAOS.
The only thing missing in my model is the touch screen but that was added for MY2020
Go to the Mercedes showroom and test the possibilities in the new GLC MY2023, then you will understand the difference, this way you don't know what you are talking about
lol, I have tested driven those before I purchased my Volvo. I was looking at EQC400 and I drove a BMW 325 MY21 with wireless Android Auto. So having Wireless car play and wireless AA is good? BMW couldn't fix the drop out issue, my wireless AA keep dropping out. Ended up using wire to connect my phone. The seats in EQC were not as comfortable as the Volvo. Anyway, that's off topic.

In short, I am happy with Volvo. And everyone has different opinions and I respect your view of how sh!t Volvo / AAOS is.

it is also true that AAOS also lags behind the German competition Audi Q5, BMW X3, and especially from MBUX system from the new GLC model that uses artificial intelligence.
I think it depends on the user as well. I got used to Google and AAOS suits my need, as a result, none of the other car infotainment systems meet my expectation. No matter how good they are.

Although AAOS is not perfect now, but I believe when more APP become available and it has the potential to improve and introduce more possibilities.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
lol, I have tested driven those before I purchased my Volvo. I was looking at EQC400 and I drove a BMW 325 MY21 with wireless Android Auto. So having Wireless car play and wireless AA is good? BMW couldn't fix the drop out issue, my wireless AA keep dropping out. Ended up using wire to connect my phone. The seats in EQC were not as comfortable as the Volvo. Anyway, that's off topic.

In short, I am happy with Volvo. And everyone has different opinions and I respect your view of how sh!t Volvo / AAOS is.

I think it depends on the user as well. I got used to Google and AAOS suits my need, as a result, none of the other car infotainment systems meet my expectation. No matter how good they are.

Although AAOS is not perfect now, but I believe when more APP become available and it has the potential to improve and introduce more possibilities.

The drop out wireless AA in the BMW is funny how much trouble the new AAOS has.
Well, here on this forum alone, you have dozens of owners who had problems not being able to start their Volvo

AAOS is much better than the Sensus system, but the Sensus system when it came out in 2016 was behind the competition, the same is the case with AAOS
Please watch the video Audi MMI system (Audi Virtual Cockpit 2018 Detailed Tutorial and Review)
and compare with Sensus system, with options and capabilities Sesnus is funny

Conclusion AAOS is a better system than Senus system, but the fact remains that it has an awful lot of problems. The idea is good, but the implementation of the idea is bad, maybe in 2-3 years he will be excellent

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I agree that the Volvo Google OS is much better than Sensus. Sensus kept me from buying Volvos in the span 2017-2020 when I was shopping for new cars then. The Porsche infotainment system in their 2018-2022 cars (Taycan excluded) has been fabulous, and I've owned two Porsches with that system; the horizontal layout is vastly superior to the vertical layout in Volvo infotainment screens, and the maps are better, the menus are better, and there's much more that you can view and control in the car from the infotainment screen. To me, maps are the most important features of an infotainment screen, and the Sensus maps sucked big-time. Google OS maps are much better than what Sensus had.

My personal take is that Volvo made a big mistake by using a Sensus screen to cram Google OS into; the screen is essentially unchanged, and Volvo should have gone "big" and changed to a horizontal screen with the new OS ... but instead they did the equivalent of trying to put a BEV drivetrain onto an ICE chassis. I know that there are lots of vertical-screen fans here, but I think if you ask most people, they'd prefer horizontal screens, and horizontal screens do allow you to do more practical things in terms of layout (short of throwing a huge, non-integrated tablet onto the dashboard, a la Tesla, Polestar 2, Mach-E, etc.).

·
Registered
467 Posts
Setting aside the initial AAOS bugs and quirks, I think there are very, very few people who would argue with the premise of this post. I think it would be a very different discussion if those of us with Sensus could enable full-screen Android Auto, instead of the half- or third-screen limitation, and if Android Auto would actually work with the HUD on Sensus XC60s

·
Registered
19 Posts
Setting aside the initial AAOS bugs and quirks, I think there are very, very few people who would argue with the premise of this post. I think it would be a very different discussion if those of us with Sensus could enable full-screen Android Auto, instead of the half- or third-screen limitation, and if Android Auto would actually work with the HUD on Sensus XC60s
I tried a loaner with AAOS. Really disliked it. For me, having AAOS would be now a deal breaker. Hate the cluster, and the navigation stuff, lack of features. Navigation is used not often, and when used it is usually through apple carplay, I don’t see the point of having a whole infotainment system built around navigation. I hope that they come back with a Sensus/In-House solution in the future .

All of that is without even taking into consideration the privacy (or lack of) features of Google.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts