SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XC60 B6 Inscription
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found threads on Sensus and wifi. I guess wifi antenna range on those cars forced people to tether from cell phone in car. Anyone with AAOS tried to connect to home wifi? Any upgrade to antenna on 2022 xc60? It's not working for me, even though manual in the car says "If the vehicle is parked outside a building with a wifi network ... you can connect the vehicle to that network." My router is now sitting 4 feet from the front bumper and my phone has a great signal in the driver's seat (wifi analyzer app). What am I missing? Security protocol? Thinking maybe Highlander Rules apply, disabled sim card connection for Volvo LTE modem, tried wifi again, no luck. Maybe yet another feature coming soon from illustrious Volvo software developers? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I don’t know about MY 2022 but the same problem exists on MY 2018
This is a standard problem that Volvo has, I have tried several different routers and I have never been able to connect if the wifi signal source is not at a distance of 3-5 meters
Even a cheap $ 50 cell phone can pick up a wifi signal but not a Volvo

·
Registered
918 Posts
Not sure why you’d have problems. My 2019 can connect to my home WiFi from the street, without issue. The problem with SPA Sensus WiFi isn’t the range, imo, but it‘s the fact that Sensus can’t fail-over to LTE. So if you want to use LTE when you’re driving so you can have traffic updates and such but want to use WiFi at home then you must change the connection in the Sensus config EVERY time you drive. It’s ridiculous. That’s why pretty much everyone has given up on WiFi, since the slightly faster map updates are NOT worth the hassle of auto-switching. I leave it on LTE all the time and just let Volvo pay for the map update data.

I was told AAOS should have more appropriate connectivity fail-over, similar to a modern smart phone.

What bands are enabled on your router? Which encryption type are you using?

I’d assume 2.4GHz WPA2 should be the most compatible.

·
Registered
2022 XC60 B6 Inscription
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My (old) NetGear router uses both 2.4 and 5.0 frequencies, different network names for each. Both are using WPA2-PSK [AES] security with a password. I know the range for good quality signal isn't great on this old device, so I put it on a long ethernet cable and put it in the garage for testing.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Totally irrelevant, tried with Asus RT N66U and RT-AC86U, Dlink DSL-2888A, TPLink Archer VR400 and Mi AloT Router AC2350 (7 independent signal amplifiers ) with or without password, simply Volvo does not see any model if it is not 4-5 meters from the car

·
Registered
2022 XC60 B6 Inscription
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My router was literally on the garage floor 4 feet from the front bumper. The "on-line" manual in the car says "If the vehicle is parked outside a building with a wifi network ... you can connect the vehicle to that network." So, I expect it to work. Just one more piece of tech from Volvo that isn't working as the customer expects.

Reactions: FDL5231

·
Registered
323 Posts
We have no trouble with ours (2021 XC40 Recharge), but some people have found AAOS didn’t like wifi networks with spaces in the name (underscores were fine). Might also need a 2.4 GHz option turned on. Read more at: Wifi Connectivity Issue

·
Registered
2022 XC60 B6 Inscription
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback and link. I have a network on each frequency, 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz. Neither network has a space in the name.

·
Registered
2022 XC60 B6 Inscription
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A couple friends came over with more modern wifi 5 routers. Ubiquiti Dream Machine and Ubiquiti Amplify, so very similar technologies, but still different. They both had a little better signal strength/quality in the garage than my 5 year old NetGear, but not drastic. They both ran the one network on both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz. They both used WPA2 with a password. The car found no networks from the Amplify and it found all the networks from the Dream Machine. We all racked our brains for a few minutes and couldn't figure out the difference between how the devices were broadcasting/connecting. I still have the Amplify in use, so if the forum has any suggestions....

·
Registered
727 Posts
Don't kill me if this is a dumb comment: In the old SENSUS system, you could use over the air signal OR WiFi. The car didn't act like a cell phone (which can use WiFi or cell signal, depending on what is available). It had to be set for one or the other. Does that kind of setting existing in the new Android system?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts