SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I'm currently looking for a new car, a station wagon of some sort. I'm a Volkswagen man, having owned 6 Golfs, and now a Passat TDI 4motion. I love my Passat, and the 4motion gives it tremendous stability and sure-footedness in the winter. Just the AWD, and the "I'm a VW-man", has kept me looking for a Passat Variant 4motion or a Audi A6 Avant quattro (both new or slightly used - eh, "pre-owned"). I also considered a V70 AWD, but disregarded it because of the price.
Anyway: last night I took a test drive in a V70 OCR 2.0LPT (is that the right acronyms? 180hp Ocean Race...) and was absolutely stunned/amazed/completely in ave! I hadn't expected that comfort, that handling and that driving pleasure from a Volvo! My wife came along, and she was also like "wow - what a car!" So this made me/us think: do we really need AWD? It's a "nice-to-have" feature, but not absolutely necessary...
This makes the V70 a very strong candidate for my next car, it's is more expensive than the Passat, but it's pretty obvious where that extra money went- the V70 is in a different league; do I want to step up? Well, I'm going back to the dealer today to "crunch some numbers"…..
So a few questions to you - knowledgeable owners:
* Are you happy with yours? No regrets?
* What option is a must-have and must-not-have?
* What color makes it look best? AFAIK the OCR is no longer available, so I'm thinking Silver/black or black pearl/tan (beige)…

Appreciate any and all comments!
Thanks,
Ørjan

·
Registered
140 Posts
2001 V70 T5. I never paid much attention to seats before. I just had a friend return a 2001 Audi A4 with standard seats because they were so uncomfortable; he is now in a 3.2 TL Acura. I'll bet Volvo seats are better than VW; they are better than most if not all. Got silver w/graphite and don't regret it, although I always ogle clean black V70s. It's a very attractive silver that will look good years down the line. Wish I had gotten an upgraded sound system and the subwoofer (if you get 3rd seat, you can't have subwoofer). The T5 w/17" wheels sure is fun to drive. Wish I had gotten manual trans instead of GT, but that being said, the GT has performed well for me (not for all). The turning radius is too large for my taste, but you get used to it. Sheet metal is thin to save weight; can dent easily. Glad I got the rear spoiler as a deal-maker from the dealer. Check the steering feel at highway speed (bit light for me) and brakes (bit grabby for me, although very effective). Gotta get the roof rails for full function and aesthetics. 2002 cars will be better than 2001 for minor electrical, etc., although Volvo bulbs are notorious. Ask dealer about scheduled maintenance costs. In fact: Dealer quality is crucial. Bottom line: Other than an S6, I can't think of a wagon I'd rather drive.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, I think my sig says it all. My wife drives the 2.4T and I drive the T5 with 17" wheels. It's not really fair, I know... but she got her car first. She has the 3rd row seat (which has come in very handy) and I have roof rails on the T5 (which a bike rack is attached to). It's a win-win situation.

Nice, solid car. Good for long drives, and especially if you have children or need room for your toys. And yes, the seats are lovely.

My only gripe: I feel like the interior is pretty cheap quality compared to the attention to detail, fit and finish that you get with a modern VW (especially considering the price difference!)... but everything else about it makes me smile.

Let's hope I'm still smiling 10+ years from now.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Orjan:
Hi all!
I'm currently looking for a new car, a station wagon of some sort. I'm a Volkswagen man, having owned 6 Golfs, and now a Passat TDI 4motion. I love my Passat, and the 4motion gives it tremendous stability and sure-footedness in the winter. Just the AWD, and the "I'm a VW-man", has kept me looking for a Passat Variant 4motion or a Audi A6 Avant quattro (both new or slightly used - eh, "pre-owned"). I also considered a V70 AWD, but disregarded it because of the price.
Anyway: last night I took a test drive in a V70 OCR 2.0LPT (is that the right acronyms? 180hp Ocean Race...) and was absolutely stunned/amazed/completely in ave! I hadn't expected that comfort, that handling and that driving pleasure from a Volvo! My wife came along, and she was also like "wow - what a car!" So this made me/us think: do we really need AWD? It's a "nice-to-have" feature, but not absolutely necessary...
This makes the V70 a very strong candidate for my next car, it's is more expensive than the Passat, but it's pretty obvious where that extra money went- the V70 is in a different league; do I want to step up? Well, I'm going back to the dealer today to "crunch some numbers"…..
So a few questions to you - knowledgeable owners:
* Are you happy with yours? No regrets?
* What option is a must-have and must-not-have?
* What color makes it look best? AFAIK the OCR is no longer available, so I'm thinking Silver/black or black pearl/tan (beige)…

Appreciate any and all comments!
Thanks,
Ørjan
Having had, previously, a 1998 V70 R (older generation V70) I can tell you for sure that the newer V70s are definitely a couple of notches above in quality, ride and handling. They are wider, have much more comfirtable seats and compared to other wagons,they are the roomiest (perhaps the Mercedes E320 are about the same) and best looking (although this is purely subjective).

I, personally, love my car; it is both a cruiser and...a hot rod when it needs to be!

Yannis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts