SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings--I have been wanting/meaning to write this for several months. As the adage goes, better late than never!
Our family took advantage of the OSD, when on July 2, 2012 "Hazel" officially joined our family in Gothenburg. Here is a summary of our trip, meant mostly to help those who are thinking about taking kids with them on their "Vacation of a Lifetime."
We have 3 kids, who at the time of the OSD were 10.5, just turning 9, and just turning 7 (3 days after we got home!).
We placed a deposit on Hazel at local dealer Jim Fisher Volvo in Portland, OR on February 29. A week later we received confirmation and began working with Volvo Travel (VT) for arrangements. Volvo pays for 2 airfares, so we had to pay for the 3 kids. We paid for 2 of them directly with VT. This was not a significant savings vs. what we could have done ourselves, but painless, and a savings none-the-less. For the 3rd kid (our oldest) we leveraged our timeshare to get the ticket. Our timeshare company also has a travel agency, and so it took a couple of phone calls between VT and our timeshare, but we were able to ensure that all 5 of us were on the same flights (3 legs each way).
I utilized VT to secure a sailing for the Stena Line from Kiel, Germany to Gothenburg for our return trip. Again, I probably could have saved a little money by booking elsewhere, but not enough to spend the time doing it. I utilized VT to book the complimentary room at the Radisson for July 1 (our planned arrival to Gothenburg). Since we owned a Volvo at the time of purchase, they gave us a 2nd night. However, because there were 5 of us, we had to combine the 2 nights into 1 night in order to get a room big enough to accommodate all of us.
Then I got to planning for the jetlag with 3 kids (and admittedly, 2 adults). I have traveled before and discovered that to quickly acclimate to a new time zone it is best (for me) to do so by staying up as late as possible on the first day and go to bed when the locals do. Knowing that we'd be arriving to Gothenburg at 10:30am, after leaving Portland, OR at 6:00am the day before, the kids would be tired. However, what kid falls asleep at an amusement park?? Rather than take the Radisson room on our first night, VT rebooked it for our last night (the day we dropped the car off at the factory). I then booked a room at the Hotel Liseberg Heden, which is a quaint hotel downtown. And it happens to be about a 10 minute walk from Liseberg Park, which is a small Swedish version of Disneyland.
June 30, we departed PDX at 6am, and flew to Chicago, where we had a 5 hour layover. Since we had technically bought 4 tickets through Volvo, we were originally provided with only 4 passes to the SAS lounge. However, I emailed VT in early June (after the passes arrived) and asked to buy a 5th pass for our daughter. They kindly sent us a 5th pass without charge. So, all 5 of us were able to enjoy the lounge. It was not what I was expecting for food, but it was far better than sitting in the main terminal. (I will admit that I very much enjoyed the adult beverage selection, and since we weren’t driving, my wife and I took full advantage.)
From Chicago, we flew to Stockholm where we had almost 2 hour layover. And from Stockholm we went to Gothenburg.
Even though we were not staying at the Radisson, Volvo picked us up at the airport, along with approximately 15-18 other people who were doing the OSD. Two drivers from Volvo were there to pick up all of us. One driver had a nice passenger van, and the other had a stretch S80. But they had to call a 3rd driver to accommodate everyone. Thankfully, we got the stretch with another family. The driver dropped us off at the Hotel Liseberg, where we promptly checked in and were able to leave our bags until the room was ready. We gathered what we needed, met up with a friend who lives in Gothenburg, and walked to the Liseberg Park. After several hours there (with short lines because of some morning rain, and perhaps of it being a Sunday), we walked back to the hotel and got into our room. After dinner at the hotel, we showered, and went to bed. Everyone slept very well, and we woke up in the morning feeling rested. The hotel provided a traditional (and very good) Swedish breakfast.
Having the kids with us, we planned an 11:00 appointment to pick up the car, which meant that Volvo picked us up at the hotel at 10:30. The factory was a bit late with our appointment (approximately 25 minutes) as there were 8 scheduled deliveries that day. However the process was very smooth, and we greatly enjoyed meeting Hazel. Following the intro, we sat down for the lunch provided by Volvo. Following lunch we did the tour of the factory. Unfortunately, part of the factory was shut down for the tour because of undisclosed changes to one of the models. But it was a great experience, especially for the kids, to see how cars are made. After lunch, we hit the road for a 3 week sojourn, mostly through Germany.
We have hosted 3 German exchange students, so we were able to spend roughly 1 week with each of their families, who are spread throughout the north, center, and south of Germany. Our first day with Hazel we drove almost 550 miles, going over the Oresund Bridge and ending the day at our “son’s” house near Luneburg, Germany. On the way home, we took the Stena Line ferry from Kiel to Gothenburg. We would happily do it again. We got off the ferry, and drove to the Radisson where we dropped off most of our luggage. We then spent the day in Gothenburg, went to the Volvo Museum (complimentary tickets were picked up upon delivery of Hazel) and dropped the car off at the factory around 3, where they provided us a ride back to the Radisson.
We were very happy that we chose the last night to take advantage of the Radisson, as we left our trip feeling like royalty. The “room” they provided was actually a 2 bedroom penthouse suite, with 2 separate baths, a kitchen, living room, dining room and balcony approximately 50 feet long. It was an absolutely wonderful way to spend our last night. (The complimentary wine in the room was nice!)
For the flight home, Volvo promptly picked us up at the hotel and drove us to the airport. We had a 5 hour layover in Copenhagen, which was admittedly long. However, there is a great kid’s area at the end of the main terminal that our kids played in. We then had an unexpected layover in Chicago for almost 7 hours because of a delayed flight. There, we took advantage of the USO.
Overall, our kids did great throughout the entire trip. Over 3 weeks, they were in the car for 2600 miles. We made sure to include kid activities along the way (such as the Liseberg Park, Lindt Chocolate Factory in Cologne, Kaltenberg Medieval Festival near Munich, castle tours, Hansa Park, etc.). We exposed them to historically significant events and places (such as Checkpoint Charlie on July 4, the Holocaust Memorial, churches built in the 800’s-1100’s, castles overlooking the Rhine and nestled on an island in a lake, the Glockenspiel, France, the Black Forest, etc.) It was, as Volvo says, “The Vacation of a Lifetime.” Would we do this trip with kids again? Absolutely! Would we encourage others to take kids with them? Double Absolutely! We are optimistic that we’ll do another OSD in a few years. :)

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Sounds like it was a great trip!

The factory was closed the day we took delivery (service day for Queen's birthday) so we came back a day early to be able to take the tour.

I suggest you write up the trip (if nothing else, a day-by-day list of things you saw, places you went, things you did) and organize the photos. When they are 30 they'll be asking about the trip and want details, possibly to recreate parts. Even though we don't have kids, I wrote up our trip leg by leg and posted it to facebook after we got back (I'm not dumb enough to tell the world that my house was empty for 3 weeks). I did it by location so I could tag the map. I also downloaded our track from the Garmin GPS and later printed (to JPG) to add visual aids (I thought this church was in town X but the picture comes after pictures in town Y, where did we go after Y? Ahhh, Z must be it).

Not only did I not want people to know our house was empty but we didn't have the time to write a lot about the trip or organize the photos along the way. We kept notes by day, the GPS maps helped, and the camera organized photos by day.

And family/friends could review trip at their leisure and interest level (high or low).

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Sounds like you did it the right way!! Traveling with kids can be a challenge, but planning activities for them and including them sure does go a long way. Now you can have them each do their own scrapbook, so they will always remember the trip of a lifetime.

Your adventures sound awesome. If you have any pics you would like to share, I know we would all enjoy them.

We did our OSD's in 2006 and 2007. Our boys were 10 and 13 at the time, and they did great. Even the older one that always feels like he needs all of the control. Now, they each have their own Volvo's (used) but every once in a while I'll let them drive the XC90 (2006). I really want to do another OSD, but I'm not tired of the XC90 yet. However, now that the kids are closer to leaving the nest, downsizing might not be a bad idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts