SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a thought:

I've been trying to sort out what vehicle I want to make next after I run out of places to go on my current XC70. Why not build a V70 T6 AWD?

In thinking about this a bit, it would be somewhat complicated, but I'm thinking, fully doable.

First step would be to acquire two cars, a S80 T6 and a V70. All the body modules, engine, transmission, and drive train gets swapped over. The drive shaft would most likely need to be swapped over from an XC70 for wheel base differences.

Anyone know for what years CAN BUS stays the same for these two vehicles?

Anyone with more technical info want to way in on the feasibility of this?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Better to get a XC90T6 running gear so you can score the angle gear. The S80 body will no doubt be useful for wiring.

As Haldex began in 2003 you had better stick to this year on both vehicles. As the S80T6 obviously wasn't AWD doing a Haldex with rear module is going to be a challenge unless you use a pre-2003 AWD system with no Haldex.

The CANBUS speed changed in 2004 or 2005 so any 2003 model should be OK. Which leads me to how the AWD will work. Would you use a XC90T6 transmission with angle gear or can the non AWD transmission have a sleeve fitted without splitting the casing?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
I certainly did miss that!! Perhaps I should erase my post or just leave it to show how confusing and difficult it would be to try on a P2

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, no worries. It seems to me like it would be a pretty terrible idea to try on a P2, especially when you could get an R that does everything that a T6 AWD would do better and more reliably.

A P3 though? There is no R model, and no AWD or better engine options for the humble V70. Neglected and alone, it never fared well in the US market. Sure, a XC70 came with a T6 stock, but what's the fun in having the same car as everyone else?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think it is great to try to be different from the crowd. Back in the late 70's it installed Ford 2.3 liter Ford engine with an automatic trany in a '53 MG-TD. It was a sweet drive. Later in the 80's I installed a Ford V6 and auto trany in a Volvo diesel wagon. Called it a FoVo! Guess I was ahead of my time! Wife drove the diesel through some high water and it sucked water into the engine and bent some connecting rods. Got a good deal on the Ford engine, so made the swap. Never really liked the noisy, slow diesel anyway.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This side of the forum is a bit dead, and maybe we can liven it up just a smidge?

I'm very curious about the CEM differences because it would be fabulous if some things could be retrofitted into a P3 wagon from something else, most specifically seats from a S60 or XC60.

My current P2 XC70 is fantastic on retrofit bits as everything is accessible and pretty inexpensive. Parts can be robbed from S60's, V70/XC70s, S80's, and so on. There are so many options!

It won't stop snowing on the S80 side of things is the only person I've encountered so far that has been doing any amount of retrofit swapping. Where is the die hard wagon fan base? Are the P3's still to expensive for anyone to really start playing with them?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I think you're overcomplicating the concept. Why would you want to build a V70 AWD T6, when that is essentially what a an XC70 is, aside from the suspension? Why not figure out a way to lower the XC70, remove the plastic body pieces, and swap V70 bumper covers onto it? It's probably way easier (and cheaper) to buy body parts and then figure out the suspension pieces than it is to acquire two distinct cars and still have to fabricate components.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for modification of cars. I ran a Volvo 245 with Ford driveline swap and a completely custom suspension setup, but you should also be wise about how you get into the project. The starting point is key, and yours seems way too complicated for the end result you desire, imho.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
See, that's true, except that there are holes in the quarter panels, doors, and fenders.

Which option is more work? Replace most of the body panels, fill in holes, and repaint the entire car, or the first suggestion? Changing modules and wiring harnesses sounds easier to me. These engines and transmissions aren't that hard to pull.

I wish there were different seat options though...

·
Registered
739 Posts
See... I would take an XC70 T6, Lower it and paint it... Think a monochromatic Audi Allroad like such:

This is a little extreme of a drop, but the basic gist of it... one of the moderators was considering doing this a while ago, and had photo-shopped up a Brown one

If we were to build a project XC....

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
See... I would take an XC70 T6, Lower it and paint it... Think a monochromatic Audi Allroad like such:

This is a little extreme of a drop, but the basic gist of it... one of the moderators was considering doing this a while ago, and had photo-shopped up a Brown one

If we were to build a project XC....

^This would be less work, imho. Granted it would be mostly body work (which I hate), but that's easier to "figure out" and has less parts to dispose of after the work (you'll have a junked S80 to dispose of). But the suspension fabrication would be fun to me. Then again, I'm perfectly happy with my XC70 T6 with Polestar, and don't see the need to do a V70 T6 AWD.

But I'd still follow this build thread if you did it.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The US market never got one that I ever heard of. Over here no one buys a front wheel drive wagon anymore and not having the other drive train options pretty much killed the Non-XC wagons. One need only look at the resale prices a V60 front wheel drive vs AWD as proof of what this market wants.

The seat choices are being somewhat of a deal breaker for me at this point. I currently have a P2 XC that I've having fun retro-fitting in bits and pieces into. I've got an R interior on order, and I have many customization options available. I'm trying to get a feel for p3 options of a similar manner. Any idea what things can be grafted in from other models? I already have Executive trim I could graft in if desired, but I actually would much rather have sport seats from an s60 than a cooled and massaging s80 seat. Maybe xc60 bits can be brought it?

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
So Volvo discontinued the V70 T6 in 2011? Why not just import a V70 T6 then? If you're going to build a custom V70 you should build a V70 V8! That'd be awesome. I know someone in Sweden built one so I guess it's doable.

Edit: http://www.garaget.org/?car=337131

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The North American market never got a V70 T6, which is why I am speculating about building such a thing...

I did think about the v8 too, but there is a economic logic to my madness that finds the T6 far easier to locate than a 8 banger.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is a pretty car and I like that a lot.

We'll put it this way: I'm in the unique position to have access to about anything I want parts wise for any older Volvo (5ish years old or older) and I'm bouncing around ideas of what I could make with them that would be more than just a cosmetic or "go fast" mod. My imagination is mostly limited by my creativity.

I don't actually want to go fast or scrub the pavement, I want to make something unique that I can use as a daily driver that I can enjoy playing with.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts