SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having an overhead 360-degree view of the car, along with the park assist indicators (the chimes and the indicators that appear on the screen) is something that takes a bit of practice to understand. I had an incident yesterday (within an hour of having protective film installed over the front bumper, fortunately) that might be helpful for everyone else...

First, note to self, with a new car (I have had mine only a week), it's probably wise NOT to try parking spots that are "risky" in terms of whether they are big enough, are they on a slope, are they angling into a wall or railing, or all of the above, until you are more familiar with the car and where the bumpers are in relation to what you can see.

Second, if you are pulling into a spot which WAS all three of those, you need to realize that the 360 cameras are great, but not super-accurate at the corners of the vehicle where the images of the cameras blend together.

Third, the little red lines that appear along with the chimes at the points on the bumpers where the proximity sensors are located may not quite recognize something like a narrow rail at bumper height, enough to give you a clear idea of exactly how close you are.

As a result of all of the above, I parked in a tight spot, worried the back end was sticking out a bit far and might get hit, so I got back in the car to move it closer to the rail, relying on the camera and sensors to help me in a very challenging situation. I parked what I thought was very close, but then got back out and saw the bumper was actually TOUCHING the rail, and quickly in a panic jumped back in and backed it up a bit. Could have been from a tiny roll forward after releasing the brake or whatever, but the feedback I was given from the camera and sensors made me think I had a couple of inches to spare...

The damage seems to be minimal, and limited to a bit of a scrape on the just-applied protective film -- no paint damage underneath. Whew! And btw, I made sure the protective film was not covering any of the sensors at all.

Anyway, my advice to everyone is DO NOT take chances on angle-in parking spots. Err on the side of caution! And avoid stupid parking spots with your XC90.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I find it's always best to let the individual front/rear-view camera be the final determinator if in such situations. I much prefer a visual cue rather than rely on auditory signals. The wide angle really helps having a great view of what could potentially be in the way.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts