SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I just came home from Lowes with some Shop Vac hose and a Shop Vac adapter. I took a little time and did some cutting with a hole saw and mounts, and now have a Cold Air Intake fitted to my R.

MOAR POWAH!!! Especially noticed on such a hot day as today (105F) it is definitely felt in the 3000+ range where it is pulling air hard.

It didn't make it very much louder, but it made it run noticeably better.

I'll get pix up later, gotta get ready to go talk to a man about a sword!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah yeah, as I said, I was going to get there after sword fighting...

One other note, the only worry I have is that the auto transmission linkage is up against it in park. So, I'm going to be keeping an eye on it.

here you go...

the 2.5" shop vac tube box

the adapter for the shop vac tubing

the adapter after cutting off the smaller sizes

The adapter bolted into the airbox

inside the airbox after mounting the airbox

installed in the car with the airtube in place

hard to tell, but the bottom end of the air tube (it is sitting on the top of the area under the left foglight grille

cutout of the foglight grille (I did both, this was after 1)

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Wow, it's 2005 all over again... :)

from my first CAI post (still available in mod index)

So much air not being forced into airbox is why I designed the custom scoop and started selling the kits way back when. Also, the vacuum hose I was using way back then just didn't hold up over time, IPD is selling a much sturdier hose with the kit now. But OP, this will definitely help with the vacuum condition pre-filter, just don't think you will ever generate positive pressure.

BTW, I have 1 centered scoop available if anyone wants to do a passenger side, or if you have a Phuzzy FMIC (centered scoop fits better around FMIC evidently), IM me.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update due to a couple of people asking:

The hose ran about $25 and the adapter was about $10. It is a soft, flexible rubber adapter, so take your time with it, and also use a sealant that will allow for a little flex and still stay sealed up on the bottom of the airbox. The screws provide mechanical clamping, but they will cause deformation if overtightened.

R Kelly, I understand what you are getting at re: positive pressure in the airbox. I was only after getting rid of the vacuum there, as I am not doing any more engine mods for the foreseeable future. That said, this still allows me an upgrade path for down the road. It's just a reimplimentation with some better materials that will (or should) hold up well.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
You know, rather than cutting a big rectangle and finding an odd .. "flange" i guess you could say, why not cut a circle in the fog lamp grilles, and glue the hose to that? You would hardly notice it, essentially same effect (maybe not as much flow) but who knows...

When I say cut a circle I mean just out of the backing part, not a whole circle from the whole face of it.. does that make sense?..

I'll shut up I guess. I'm sleepy. It makes sense to me now.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know, rather than cutting a big rectangle and finding an odd .. "flange" i guess you could say, why not cut a circle in the fog lamp grilles, and glue the hose to that? You would hardly notice it, essentially same effect (maybe not as much flow) but who knows...

When I say cut a circle I mean just out of the backing part, not a whole circle from the whole face of it.. does that make sense?..

I'll shut up I guess. I'm sleepy. It makes sense to me now.
I see where you are going, but I cut both of them open, as they will also duct more air to the front brakes. Not that I've had any issues with the brakes on the R, but just seemed like a wise idea to me.

The flange was in the airbox, not the front grille, by the way... And I only cut a circle out. The rest was to allow it to bolt up. The hose pushes into the flange. Again on the airbox. The hose is basically laying in a high pressure zone behind the grille. Again, I agree with R Kelly, never going to see a "ram air" effect off of it, but at least get back to zero at the airbox.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I see where you are going, but I cut both of them open, as they will also duct more air to the front brakes. Not that I've had any issues with the brakes on the R, but just seemed like a wise idea to me.

The flange was in the airbox, not the front grille, by the way... And I only cut a circle out. The rest was to allow it to bolt up. The hose pushes into the flange. Again on the airbox. The hose is basically laying in a high pressure zone behind the grille. Again, I agree with R Kelly, never going to see a "ram air" effect off of it, but at least get back to zero at the airbox.
I meant that you can get a rectangle flange that goes behind the fog light grille cover that directs air into the hose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts