SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

For some time now, my 2007 S60 T5 M66 has been making a squeaking noise when the clutch pedal was released. I have lubed it with two different materials at different times, poked and prodded, and contorted myself extensively to get a look at the problem.

Over time, it has gotten louder and is now so obnoxious that I want to drive off a bridge. The sound is a metal-on-metal squealing, like having a seagull in the pedal box. It starts from the slightest movement of the pedal on its hinge, before any movement is transmitted to the throw-out bearing, and persists through the entire stroke of the pedal. It occurs regardless of the engine running, although it is worse under load or when shifting at low revs near the lug range.

There are few of these cars with manuals in the US out there, so finding info is difficult. I know that the S40s had a similar problem that Volvo dealt with via a technical bulletin that called for replacing the return spring. I think mine is due for some kind of part replacement, and am suspecting deteriorated bushings around the hinge assembly.

My question is, has anyone on here had this problem and achieved a definitive fix by having parts replaced? I have read about some people having their entire master cylinder replaced, but I somehow think that is overkill. How hard is it to remove the pedal box? Is this a reasonable DIY?

Thanks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had a Jeep that did that. It drove me nuts. Turns out it was a small plastic split bushing that had worn out. It was a simple $2 fix that took 5 minutes. Maybe its the same on your T5. You are going to have to get under there with a really bright light and look for worn or damaged bushings. Good Luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I think I have solved the problem, and no disassembly was required. It seems that the clutch return spring was rubbing on the spindle that it surrounds, causing the offending noise. I silenced the seagull by the very low-tech expedient of unhooking the spring on the end that was rubbing, inserting a small cardboard shim (cut from the back of a pocket notebook), and reattaching the spring. The cardboard separates the "tail" of the spring both from the spindle and from the adjacent bracket, in case the spring shifts in another direction. Even cheaper than a $2 bushing and the pedal hasn't made a peep since.

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
857 Posts
Thanks for posting your solution to this. I have the same problem, but only sometimes. I thought it was the pedal at first, then one of the internal transmission components, but never got much further than that since the sound was on/off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for posting your solution to this. I have the same problem, but only sometimes. I thought it was the pedal at first, then one of the internal transmission components, but never got much further than that since the sound was on/off.
The intermittent part was driving me crazy, too. I contorted myself into the footwell at least half a dozen times trying to figure it out and lubing various things. When I was satisfied that whatever I had done solved the problem, the next time I drove it the sound would come back.

What I finally had to do was get a small pocket mirror above the return spring so I could see whether it was touching the spindle. It turns out there was a brown line underneath, which indicated to me that friction was occurring, accompanied by oxidation. That convinced me that I needed to insert something that would separate the metal components from each other. My fix is still working perfectly, ten days later.

I hope you are surviving the storm up in NJ.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts