SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My insurance company confirmed on Friday that my R will be a total loss after I was rear ended on the interstate. (Please no questions about parts/parting out yet)

Does anyone have any experience with getting a good payout for their R? I feel like I was lowballed by a grand or more. I got the CCC report from my adjuster and they used 3 comparables (all 2005 BASE model S60s with no AWD and over 100,000 miles) then tried to adjust back for mileage and options to get to a ACV of $10,200 for my 2005 Silver S60R with sport kit and ~76k on it. I'm really bummed because I spent alot of money adding the sport kit, brand new brakes and pads within the last month and tires are less than a year old. Not to mention I had the angle gear replaced and warrantied at a Volvo dealer last year and all the curb rash on the rims repaired. I've been looking around and can't find another 05 R with less than 80k miles for under $12 grand which is why I think I got a low offer. My car was in excellent cosmetic condition with very few dings and clean leather with no fading or tears and in flawless mechanical/working condition. I just want to get another R with similar miles/condition but their offer is not going to allow me to replace my car. Anyone have any tips/input?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
That's not legit. The comp car is an R, not a base S60. I'd email the insurance with the Rs you found and mention they are not the same car. Also give them receipts for the sport kit and everything.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
Absolutely refuse to accept this offer.

I hate insurance companies.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Refuse, and explain exactly what you just typed here and provide receipts. Calmly and politely explain why this isn't a base S60 and the rarity of these cars. That should yield a higher offer.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
^ what everyone said. You'll have to do the leg-work on this one. Make your own "comp"list of Rs that are similar in condition and mileage to yours for sale. The more the better. Politely say NO until you are satisified, but know what that # is going into each convo with the adjuster. Be patient, it may take a week or two...... or three.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
That's bs, and tell the insurance adjusters this.

Unfortunately I'm an unlucky person who is always getting run into, so I have LOT's of experience in this area.

You have to remember that the WHOLE insurance industry is based on screwing every customer they can. That's how these places stay in business.

Let them know you are not going to be pushed around by the insurance co's BS. You don't want to scream and yell at them but you need to be firm.

When I totaled my 04 V70R with 168,000 mi that's about what they gave me. That was a little over 2 years ago. There's no way 10k is right for a R with such low miles.

Also make them pay for every little thing, don't let them get away with crap. If you had a radar detector, GPS in the car that were ruined make them pay it may even require a separate claim for "personal items" is what I have heard one insurance co say.

Remember they are going to do everything then can to screw you, don't give them an inch. Also keep in mind that even if you weren't at fault, this accident can cost you more in raised premiums over the next 3 years.

If you haven't yet, make them pay for a rental car while you go back and forth.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone. I came up with a list of 2005 SRs with mileage similar to mine and plan to send it in. I gave them the receipts for new brakes and sport kit but he only added $200 to the value for all of that so I have some work to do there too. I think I should be getting about $12k for my car. Anyone really familiar with the R market throw a ballpark value out there?

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
That's bs, and tell the insurance adjusters this.

Unfortunately I'm an unlucky person who is always getting run into, so I have LOT's of experience in this area.

You have to remember that the WHOLE insurance industry is based on screwing every customer they can. That's how these places stay in business.

Let them know you are not going to be pushed around by the insurance co's BS. You don't want to scream and yell at them but you need to be firm.

When I totaled my 04 V70R with 168,000 mi that's about what they gave me. That was a little over 2 years ago. There's no way 10k is right for a R with such low miles.

Also make them pay for every little thing, don't let them get away with crap. If you had a radar detector, GPS in the car that were ruined make them pay it may even require a separate claim for "personal items" is what I have heard one insurance co say.

Remember they are going to do everything then can to screw you, don't give them an inch. Also keep in mind that even if you weren't at fault, this accident can cost you more in raised premiums over the next 3 years.

If you haven't yet, make them pay for a rental car while you go back and forth.
Good info. My dad just recently went through this and despite my insistence that he not accept their unreasonable offers, he caved and just took what they gave him (~$2k too little to replace the car that had been totaled while parked in a parking lot). The one thing I did learn from his experience is that when his insurance company refused him a rental car company, he contacted the other driver's insurance company (Geico) and they offered to cover his rental directly since their driver was at fault. Something to consider.

Edit: Also, don't forget to call your agent and let them know you're really getting the run around and you're very dissatisfied with the service you've been paying for. You pay your bill every 6 months with no problems but the one time you need them, you get jerked around, blah blah blah. Let them have it. They deserve it, too. lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good info. My dad just recently went through this and despite my insistence that he not accept their unreasonable offers, he caved and just took what they gave him (~$2k too little to replace the car that had been totaled while parked in a parking lot). The one thing I did learn from his experience is that when his insurance company refused him a rental car company, he contacted the other driver's insurance company (Geico) and they offered to cover his rental directly since their driver was at fault. Something to consider.
My insurance is currently covering everything since the at-fault driver was most likely an "undocumented worker" without a license or insurance. Fortunately she was driving her boyfriends truck and I am pretty sure the insurance he did have was valid. Unfortunately since he was not the driver his company is doing an "investigation" that may take weeks so I had to go with mine, pay my deductible, and risk my premiums being raised. I am contemplating contacting a lawyer at this point because I am also starting to feel really sore from whiplash and tired of dealing with insurance companies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts