SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in adding head rests to my 1967 122. I've seen some in action, and was curious if, for example these (pictured below) whole seats were pulled from a later car, or maybe just had the headrests welded into the seat frame?

Also, if you have experience with your own seat / head rest mods, I'd love to hear.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK I've somewhat answered my own question: those appear to be 240 headrests. Not sure if they've been fitted to 122 seats or not, but they seem to be readily available on ebay.

It might be time to peel back the skins on my 122 seats, and weld in some head rests.

I'd still love to hear anyone else's experience with fitting headrests.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
upon further reading, I may have the downtubes already in the seats. I'll have to check when I get home.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
In that first pic, if you look down at the passenger seatback, the mount looks just like a 122 seat, so I think they added those to the 122 seats. I don't think they fit well with the car's style though, too modern.

What I plan to do is buy some 140 seatbacks and take them apart, and adapt the mounting into the 122 seat frame so it looks as original 122 as possible while adding some semblance of whiplash protection.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They do look a touch modern, but safe (i'm building this 122 for my wife). Some upholstery work might take some of the modern vibe away, but it looks like Skandix has a couple of original looking options.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I believe all post '64 Amazon seatbacks have the welded tubes to accomodate the common headrests, which were standard equipment after '67 but could be bought as an accessory from Volvo's Accessory Catalogue as early as '65...

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
If that's true, then sweet!

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
Amazon front seats for the 2-door are different than the 4-door. The USA 1968 122 has front seats with full-recline, lumbar, extra bolstering and built-in adjustable headrests. This model also has the under-dash knee pad and soft-touch dash knobs. George Dill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts