SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - we have had some heavy rains here over the past few days and last night my granddaughter was driving caR home up a steep grade, a boulder, probably loosened by all the rain, fell down the embankment and pretty much demolished the area where the A-pillar, passengers door and hood meet. All the airbags deployed and of course the door won't open. I haven't talked with the adjuster yet, but I suspect the prognosis is NOT good.

It has 110,000 miles on it, never smoked in nor food eaten in it, leather has been Leatheriqued on an annual basis, carpets cleaned and polish / waxed at the same time. I have service and maintenance records from day 1, run only Mobil 1 full European synthetic. In short, it's been well cared for and never abused. I've looked through all the classifieds for 2006 / 2007 R's with about the same mileage and condition so I think I have an idea of what I want from the insurance company. I'm hoping for around $10K. Guess I'm just wondering what you guys think.

BTW vultures - it's Gobi Interior and 17" Pegs so move along, nothing to see here! :-D

Thanks

Chuck
Moscow ID

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sad. And yes that's probably done. And adjuster jerk will probably try to give you $3500.

Recommend asking them to buy you another R and see what happens then lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Sad. And yes that's probably done. And adjuster jerk will probably try to give you $3500.

Between the windshield, the multiple panel damage, and the airbags having deployed - it's a safe bet that the car is totaled. Like Vector said, if the insurance company tries to low-ball you, don't let up. I've seen the warning signs for falling rocks on drives through the hills and mountains but this is the first time I've ever seen the aftermath of an actual hit. I'm glad that your granddaughter walked away from this.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Glad no one was hurt!

Vulture alert!

The original owner of my car, for some reason, kept the owner's manual and the nice leather cover! If your caR is totaled, let me know if you want to sell it! I tried to get one from Volvo, but they don't have the leather cover anymore, just the black vinyl.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Sorry man!! Feel free to troll the classifieds section here on SS to use as examples for your adjuster to show what these cars cost. My '05 SR is in there as well. Sorry for your loss :( , but glad your family is safe! :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Exactly my plan. I have 10 or 12 ads culled from the SS Classifieds around the same year, mileage and condition. Range from 8995 (a real dog from the posts on that one) to around 13500 (may be a bit hopeful on that one). We'll see how it all plays out.

Thanks

Chuck

·
6,436 Posts
Make me an offer I can't refuse and you'll get yourself the most sorted our R on the Forum. TI and Gobi as well :). Meticulously maintained and garaged all the time.

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
Like the posters before, I would bet the insurance company will offer <$5k-$6k and they'll insist it's because the mileage is "so high". You will be in for a fight.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
That's beyond totaled, probably not fixable at any cost. The crash structure is crumpled, the Volvo did its job and saved your ass.
Glad no one was hurt, try that in a Camry!

·
Registered
738 Posts
100% totaled without a doubt. Was that even a serious question?

And insurance may not lowball you once you show what youve done with it. When my R was "totalled" this year and I showed what I put on it I got $7k on it. Mine is an 04 with 135k at the time. I thought it was fair. Sadly ive put 8k in it this year for repairs and such.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I don't know about Idaho, but in Nude Hampster that would be a daily driver, with a little duck tape on the window....

all you do is register it as a "farm vehicle" ... doesn't prevent you from driving on public roads ... you don't need silly things like doors and windows

... couple of re-treads and yer good to go.

in New Hampshire, we have vertical parking during snow emergencies.

our motto is : LIVE, FREEZE, AND DIE
If you think NH is bad you should see the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Cars drive around like that not even needing "farm vehicle" registration. Inspection? Why would anyone need that?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
If you think NH is bad you should see the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Cars drive around like that not even needing "farm vehicle" registration. Inspection? Why would anyone need that?
Inspections won't fix it... People think oil on the valve cover is dangerous... No it's a Volvo that needs a pcv system. I am also loathe to let a mechanic touch my car.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Yeah. I'm 21 and I want a lift. When I graduate and buy a house the garage is getting a lift... Or I'm building an external garage with a lift. Only thing I can't do is an alignment. And I might pay someone to do the clutch.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Building an 800 sq ft shop as we speak. Open ceiling on one side for the BendPak XPR10A asymmetric lift, the other side has a loft for storage. Too old to be be crawling under cars anymore . . .

OK, so the insurance company settled up today at $10,500. I was wanting $10K so I guess I can't be complaining. Now if I can find an 07 V70R in black with atacama I'll be a happy guy! Thanks for the responses and comedy!

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
You got $10k out of an 07 SR with 110k miles? Wow! That's impressive!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Congrats on a good settlement

·
Registered
744 Posts
Wow. I'm glad your Granddaughter is ok. That could have been a lot worse if it hit in a different spot and came through the windshield.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts