SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to buy a 2016 V60 (Premium, BLIS, Climate). This will be our first new car since 2006~ so we're going to spoil ourselves and pick out exactly the colors we want, which makes this a custom order since none of the dealers around us have our combo with the packages we want.

I've built up a spreadsheet trying to show the various pricing based on OSD, or A-Plan (which I qualify for), or the Costco deal, or just straight retail. Even more confusing are the incentives, and which programs still qualify for incentives.

OSD: Limited incentives. While a trip to the factory would be fun, trying to arrange it with two small kids at home in school, and waiting even longer for our car, doesn't make this super attractive.

Costco: Seems able to combine with incentives, but unclear prices. One dealer said "$500 off of invoice", unclear if that includes package and option pricing too.

A-Plan: Seems compatible with incentives, and there is a very clear price sheet available on the A-plan website. Seems like the lowest price of all, but will that mean the dealer is going to try to make it up on my trade in value?

Retail: Crapshoot.

Added confusion, incentives appear to end tomorrow. Way too soon to take advantage when doing a custom order.

What have other people experienced when using these plans?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm actually in the same place - looking to pickup a FWD T5 Platinum. Your config looks to be almost the same as the one I'd be ordering but I'm thinking I'd add the Sport Package too. Unfortunately I haven't driven one with the Sport Package but it seems like a prudent addition.

It looks like an order is the route to take. Family commitments prevent a OSD.

I'm looking at a price based of USAA car buying service or exploring A-Plan.

USAA estimate ended ~9.5% off msrp. Not sure what to expect with A-Plan - any ideas based on your experience?

Either way I'm very excited to get back in a Volvo and will have a hard time waiting for an order to be built and delivered. I heard its about 3 months for delivery now.

Also will miss the current incentives so not sure what's around the corner, but curious what may be coming.

·
Registered
35 Posts
OSD!!!!!!!!! We've done it twice 2002 & 2012 S60s each time. If you love Volvos there no better way to "bond" with the vehicle. Probably gonna do it again in '18 or '19.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We did OSD on a 2001 V70-XC 2001. That was great.

Dealers make nothing on OSD (at least they didn't used to), so they're not going to be hungry to bury their profit into your perceived trade-in quote.

Someone I work with gets a quote for what CarMax will give him outright for his car as a basis for the trade-in negotiation. You'd pay a bit more tax on the new car, but you can always just sell your "trade" to CarMax or wave that number at the dealer.

I looked into Costco. The dealer I bought my S60 from didn't participate in their program. I mentioned Costco and other dealers to them, they said, "hang on" and came back with a number that beat the Costco deal. I had already spotted that car I wanted on their back lot still in shipping wrap. I really didn't need to buy a car that day, so I was truly ready to just leave unless they made it irresistible for me. They must have been hungry, because they did.

They get something for selling you financing. I took the 0.9%, but paid it off after a few months.

I no nothing of this A-Plan.

So I'm trying to buy a 2016 V60 (Premium, BLIS, Climate). This will be our first new car since 2006~ so we're going to spoil ourselves and pick out exactly the colors we want, which makes this a custom order since none of the dealers around us have our combo with the packages we want.

I've built up a spreadsheet trying to show the various pricing based on OSD, or A-Plan (which I qualify for), or the Costco deal, or just straight retail. Even more confusing are the incentives, and which programs still qualify for incentives.

OSD: Limited incentives. While a trip to the factory would be fun, trying to arrange it with two small kids at home in school, and waiting even longer for our car, doesn't make this super attractive.

Costco: Seems able to combine with incentives, but unclear prices. One dealer said "$500 off of invoice", unclear if that includes package and option pricing too.

A-Plan: Seems compatible with incentives, and there is a very clear price sheet available on the A-plan website. Seems like the lowest price of all, but will that mean the dealer is going to try to make it up on my trade in value?

Retail: Crapshoot.

Added confusion, incentives appear to end tomorrow. Way too soon to take advantage when doing a custom order.

What have other people experienced when using these plans?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A-plan is employee pricing. Supposedly invoice pricing on everything. No haggle.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Join Volvo Club of America (VCOA) to get the A Plan price. You can join online. Have bought three Volvos via A Plan and very satisfied with the prices we got.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure what to expect with A-Plan - any ideas based on your experience?
If you get access to A-Plan, they have a website with a price sheet of A-Plan vs MSRP for the engines, trim, packages, and options. The A-Plan prices are lower, for example the Platinum trim MSRP is 41,550, while A-Plan is 39,057. Climate package retail is 1550, A-plan 1457. Everything seems to be lower price for A-Plan.

Added up, my build out looks to be 3275 off of MSRP, before any incentives. It also looks to be 1660~ off of OSD (even factoring in the lack of Destination Charge with OSD).

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Go to truecar.com and just see what the average price paid is and what the offers are (I suggest don't submit your info though). Then use that number in negotiations.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Join Volvo Club of America (VCOA) to get the A Plan price. You can join online. Have bought three Volvos via A Plan and very satisfied with the prices we got.
A-plan is horrible... it offers around 7% off MSRP at most. Without any hard negotiations I'm getting 15.4% off my current deal. Previously I got over 12% off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A-plan is horrible... it offers around 7% off MSRP at most. Without any hard negotiations I'm getting 15.4% off my current deal. Previously I got over 12% off.
That would be well below invoice. Are you comparing prices /after/ incentives or before incentives?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
That would be well below invoice. Are you comparing prices /after/ incentives or before incentives?
After incentives.
In any case, in my experience, A-plan pricing has never even had a chance to come into play.

I've always went to truecar website, looked up the recent data. Then looked at incentives. And then started calling/e-mail dealerships. Within a day or two I'd usually have a pretty good picture of what the price should be.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi iamjlk. Great topic, one that is discussed often since there are many approaches. I have always leaned going to retail route and think I've ended up doing quite well. I would go in knowing what invoice is for the car I wanted, including the equipment. This can be done by building your car online through a site such as Edmunds. Also finding out what incentives exist at the time of purchase is key. Rebates are a straight pass through as in the manufacturer provides them to the dealer so they pass them on to us, the customer. Sometimes it isn't done so straightforward so I like to know what I'm dealing with going in. I also want to know what kind of dealer cash/marketing support is on the table for the dealership. I want to know this because it's money they will get if they sell me a car. Call me greedy, but I want some of that cash too. This is often why dealers are very willing to go under invoice to make the sale. Knowing the cash on the table will allow you to know how far to push below invoice. Even if dealer cash is not on the table they are likely to go for below invoice because they get volume incentives from the manufacturer. This concept allowed us to get a deal for $1,200 under invoice on our 2015.5 XC60 when it first came out and then add in the rebates Volvo was giving to customers at the time.

The final area to look at is on dealership fees, often called a doc fee. In some states these fees have no cap and can be hundreds of dollars. This is yet another profit source for the dealership so I factor that into my offer if it's significant (~$300+).

Based on all of this I would structure an offer as follows, using fictitious numbers:

MSRP: $45,000
Invoice: $41,850
Rebate: $1,500
Marketing Support: $2,500
Doc Fee: $500
Offer before incentives/marketing support: $40,850
Minus:
Doc Fee - $500
Marketing Support - $2,500
Rebate - $1,500

Offer to dealer - 37,850 before $1,500 rebate.

Hope this is helpful. Without too much work you can get a really good deal. Just takes some education on your part and some negotiation.

TJ

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
MSRP: $45,000
Invoice: $41,850
Rebate: $1,500
Marketing Support: $2,500
Doc Fee: $500
Offer before incentives/marketing support: $40,850
Minus:
Doc Fee - $500
Marketing Support - $2,500
Rebate - $1,500

Offer to dealer - 37,850 before $1,500 rebate.

Hope this is helpful. Without too much work you can get a really good deal. Just takes some education on your part and some negotiation.

TJ
Soooo, in many words and numbers here you are saying that you'd be offering $36,350 on a $45,000 car? (after rebate)
19.2% off?..

I mean, even by my hard negotiating standards this is pushing it.... unless there are some other underlying things (like, $2000 for conquest right now).

----
It's just like the story this morning, where my co-worker walked in and told me she just leased a 328i xDrive for $422/mo with $0 down...

And I said: "Ahem, BS".

Turns out with incentives from our work and her rebates AND down payment it all totaled $3500.

Plus, she paid down money factor with a $5000 deposit.

No one's ever honest enough to tell the true story of the car purchase.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi rumyn. If my example were a true situation where a $1,500 rebate, $2,500 in marketing support to the dealer and a $500 doc fee existed I would definitely offer $36,350 on the car. The rebate and marketing support is cash coming from the manufacturer so it has no effect to the dealer, beyond giving up additional profit potential. With a high doc fee that they will add to the sale I factor that into the deal because it is also profit at that point. Stripping all of that out the equation it becomes at $1,000 under invoice deal for the dealer. Without the existence of cash on the table the offer would be $40,350. Dealers will do this deal all day long in the hopes of getting the big (hundreds of thousands of dollars) check at the end of the year.

TJ

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Hi rumyn. If my example were a true situation where a $1,500 rebate, $2,500 in marketing support to the dealer and a $500 doc fee existed I would definitely offer $36,350 on the car.

TJ
Ad fees are very rarely $2500.

But to give an example. My MSRP is $43390.
Sale price $37500.

Ad fees aren't in there and the rebate is $500.

Sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Go to truecar.com and just see what the average price paid is and what the offers are (I suggest don't submit your info though). Then use that number in negotiations.
This. x2. It involves asking the dealer to match truecar if not a truecar dealer but this works out saving you more versus some of the other options. I used this for our V60 and took advantage of the incentives at the time as well.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
This. x2. It involves asking the dealer to match truecar if not a truecar dealer but this works out saving you more versus some of the other options. I used this for our V60 and took advantage of the incentives at the time as well.
One thing to leverage with the truecar price: dealers pay the site $400. If you don't submit the quote, tell them you saved them $400 and ask for a couple of hundred $$$ off :)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
My price right now is $2K under truecar.
I didn't negotiate though. That's what this dealer offered right off the bat.
Others were $1500-2200 more.

But knowing the price helped to make a deal in less than 10 minutes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I believe today is the official start of the new month/year for Volvo. Showing $3,500 in rebates on the V60 and the cash to dealer is unknown but will come out in the coming days. Once that becomes clear all the info I mentioned in my earlier post will be available for you to use to negotiate a deal. Good luck and let us know if you need more help.

TJ

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I believe today is the official start of the new month/year for Volvo. Showing $3,500 in rebates on the V60 and the cash to dealer is unknown but will come out in the coming days. Once that becomes clear all the info I mentioned in my earlier post will be available for you to use to negotiate a deal. Good luck and let us know if you need more help.

TJ
Where's the $3500 in rebates? I mean, exactly which rebates are you talking about.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts