SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow R's.
I have a clunk, (sounds like a "tock") from the front wheels when I stop at lights. I'm guessing it's the axles releasing from driving the front wheels as you pull to a stop, but is this a sign of things to come? Is it going to get worse, or whatever it is can be ignored as that's what it does? I don't know what the angle gear is specifically but wondered if this was the problem?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hey fellow R's.
I have a clunk, (sounds like a "tock") from the front wheels when I stop at lights. I'm guessing it's the axles releasing from driving the front wheels as you pull to a stop, but is this a sign of things to come? Is it going to get worse, or whatever it is can be ignored as that's what it does? I don't know what the angle gear is specifically but wondered if this was the problem?
Could be anything from axle ping to a worn engine mount. Seems to me like an engine mount would be more of a suspect when coming to a stop allowing the engine to rock some? Could always be wrong though.

The angle gear is in the rear so I would not worry about that big of a problem if you are hearing something from the front.

·
Super Moderator
8,700 Posts
Your best bet will be to provide a video of the noise if you can. That will help people ID the sound.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have to replace an engine mount... i'll replace the tranny mount up front too.
Ok i'll start there and see what happens for now.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Yep, I have the same sound. After pulling an axle. I don't think it's mount related because they're all poly. Probably axle-bolt, they're not anti-ping. I just haven't had the inkling to mess with it after breaking an axle bolt...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't think it was related to the mounts. It's just too specific to the area. I hear it from the back too from time to time. I just wanted to know if something was wearing out, and if I could do something about it before failure occurs. It sounds like a gap/looseness between the hub and axle.

·
Registered
290 Posts
It could most definitely be mounts. I know for a fact my lower trans mount bracket is good, the upper mount is good, and it shouldn't be axle ping because I got new bolts with fresh loctite when I tried to get the anti-ping bolts but it didn't fit.. anyways that narrows it down to the side mount on the passenger side, or the main front or rear engine mount. The engine and trans can actually move around quite a bit if the mounts are even slightly bad. Also I never heard anything about any suspension components. Could be the sway bar end-links that wiggle just enough as the car comes to rest from moving?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I changed the front tranny mount to a urethane one and it still persists. So now onto the lower engine mount.
You might be right and seeing as i'm set to do the mount it's worth a try. I changed a sway bar link on the passenger side when I bought the vehicle and that is where I hear it from most, so i'd like to say it's not that on my car, but...
For all the fun I have in the car it's not too bad of a problem to live with currently.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Soooo I think it's axle ping after a bit of research. Going to tighten the driveshaft bolt first before doing the glue / xc90 bolts fix.
(I'm still changing the engine mount because it needs it)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts