SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all long-time Volvo owner many P-1 & P-2 cars under my belt.
I just bought a 2013 s60 t5. The first thing I did was to dump those 17" wheels upgraded to 19"X8.5" Sparco on Conti extreme contact sports. The suspension is underway Bilsteins with Ebach's, and a bigger rear sway bar is going to sort out the chassis well.
So my question I have the 316mm (16.5") brakes before I spend thousands of dollars on the aftermarket solutions, I'm thinking of going the 336mm (17.5") route. Has this been done? Are their other options from the Volvo parts bin not excluding the Polestar setup which I cannot find used.
I have noticed you have a sticky posting however I do not see many modifications listed like on the p-1 forum. Please help me out.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hello, all long-time Volvo owner many P-1 & P-2 cars under my belt.
I just bought a 2013 s60 t5. The first thing I did was to dump those 17" wheels upgraded to 19"X8.5" Sparco on Conti extreme contact sports. The suspension is underway Bilsteins with Ebach's, and a bigger rear sway bar is going to sort out the chassis well.
So my question I have the 316mm (16.5") brakes before I spend thousands of dollars on the aftermarket solutions, I'm thinking of going the 336mm (17.5") route. Has this been done? Are their other options from the Volvo parts bin not excluding the Polestar setup which I cannot find used.
I have noticed you have a sticky posting however I do not see many modifications listed like on the p-1 forum. Please help me out.
Upgrade to the 336mm caliper/ rotor and get some hawk HP+ or hps5.0 pads. Ran my V60RD at a track last weekend with HP+ front and hps5.0 rear; it stops really well from 110mph. I would not recommend spending the money on the Polestar or equivalent if you don't plan to spend a lot of time on track.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, emgrock1
I have not run Hawk's before I will look into them. Any other pitfalls on the p-3?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Thanks, emgrock1
I have not run Hawk's before I will look into them. Any other pitfalls on the p-3?
In my opinion, maintenance is key. Trans flush, front and rear differentials, Haldex flush. I did mine at 60k, others sooner, others not at all.

Some have had trans shift issues, most are due to outdated software, so keep that in mind. 3-2 downshift and from park to drive are the most common.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You, sir, are absolutely right!
I've had many Volvos with the dreaded aisin aw55-50, these new boxes have a similar reputation, have you tried the inline trans filter and magnet trick?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
You, sir, are absolutely right!
I've had many Volvos with the dreaded aisin aw55-50, these new boxes have a similar reputation, have you tried the inline trans filter and magnet trick?
What is this trickery of which you speak?!?

·
Registered
775 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
ha, no trickery at all just a something P-1 owners did to help maintain the aw55-50.
https://www.proxyparts.com/car-part...319055/part/oil-pressure-line/partid/5900538/
this is the trans cooler outlet of an s60 you can cut this into two pieces and melt the ends a bit to form a barb use rubber hose to connect an inline filter.
e.g. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...tomatic-transmission-filter-kit/58953/4836711
I remember there was a writeup on the s40 blog. However, I'll try to do one for the S60.
Cheers

·
Registered
775 Posts
ha, no trickery at all just a something P-1 owners did to help maintain the aw55-50.
https://www.proxyparts.com/car-part...319055/part/oil-pressure-line/partid/5900538/
this is the trans cooler outlet of an s60 you can cut this into two pieces and melt the ends a bit to form a barb use rubber hose to connect an inline filter.
e.g. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...tomatic-transmission-filter-kit/58953/4836711
I remember there was a writeup on the s40 blog. However, I'll try to do one for the S60.
Cheers
Not a bad idea considering the lack of filtration. I may do something like that in the future also.

·
Registered
696 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks midnight
I have never noticed what my wife’s XC60 has, its hasn’t needed brakes yet. Guess I’m going look this weekend.

·
Registered
775 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Just looked up XC60 on Rock Auto. Indeed they are twin piston. Pad area is A LOT larger. I'm blown away.

·
Registered
696 Posts
You mentioned XC60 calipers but the post you linked says XC90 calipers.
Yeah, it was XC60, not 90 sorry for the confusion. The 90 calipers are slightly too big and grinds against the disc when turning.

I'm very happy with my setup. I've got Porterfield Pads and stainless steel lines at the front to help. The biggest change i notice wasn't so much pedal feel, but more the lack of fade after hard braking sessions. The old brakes would smell like burning quite quickly, the new ones get me the whole way through my favorite piece of road.

The calipers look a bit daggy, and ive just got OEM discs, so there are a few more things to add for the next time they need a service.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Yeah, it was XC60, not 90 sorry for the confusion. The 90 calipers are slightly too big and grinds against the disc when turning.

I'm very happy with my setup. I've got Porterfield Pads and stainless steel lines at the front to help. The biggest change i notice wasn't so much pedal feel, but more the lack of fade after hard braking sessions. The old brakes would smell like burning quite quickly, the new ones get me the whole way through my favorite piece of road.

The calipers look a bit daggy, and ive just got OEM discs, so there are a few more things to add for the next time they need a service.
I've gotta say, HP+ pads make a big difference on the RD in terms of initial bite (after a bit of warmup) and overall fade resistance.

Ultimately, piston area is what controls brake clamping force. Well.. that and master cylinder diameter. No idea if there's any difference in the RD master cylinder. A larger pad area is going increase energy transfer (aka, heat) and reduce fade.

My opinion is; Im able to hit ABS pretty easily already meaning I'm tire limited, not brake limited (in terms of stopping power). A higher temp resistance pad will ultimately help me more than more piston area however, the extra pad area would help... I think price/performance, an ebc yellow or carbotech pad (for track use) makes more sense than different calipers unless at some point the car starts to see heavy track use then an aftermarket caliper starts to make sense.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've gotta say, HP+ pads make a big difference on the RD in terms of initial bite (after a bit of warmup) and overall fade resistance.

Ultimately, piston area is what controls brake clamping force. Well.. that and master cylinder diameter. No idea if there's any difference in the RD master cylinder. A larger pad area is going increase energy transfer (aka, heat) and reduce fade.

My opinion is; Im able to hit ABS pretty easily already meaning I'm tire limited, not brake limited (in terms of stopping power). A higher temp resistance pad will ultimately help me more than more piston area however, the extra pad area would help... I think price/performance, an ebc yellow or carbotech pad (for track use) makes more sense than different calipers unless at some point the car starts to see heavy track use then an aftermarket caliper starts to make sense.
I was due for both pads and discs, so the extra amount for the second hand calipers wasn't much of an issue. I just used XC60 parts instead of V60 parts. I went to an independent mechanic instead of the dealer and even with the new calipers, it came out cost neutral.

In previous cars, ive always just upgraded pads and i get enough benefit from that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts