SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in the "General" forum early in the year. A fellow C70 driver said the local dealer promises a new convertible (C70?) is in the not-too-distant future.

She was re-assured on a recent trip to the same dealer. As early as the 2020 model year, Volvo would offer a new drop-top.

Has anyone heard anything??? Will we have to keep our '13 forever????

·
Registered
464 Posts
To be honest, I haven't heard anything, so we are looking at at least a minimum of 3-4 years before we would see anything in the showrooms.

·
Registered
98 S70 Base, 06 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 08 C70 M66, 11 XC90 V8, 13 C70 P*
941 Posts
Yeah, I’d put as much faith in that dealer’s comments as this “well-made” video: https://youtu.be/umJvIzcPdBI

BD

1998 S70 GL, 2006 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 2008 C70 Premium Plus M66, 2011 XC90 V8, 2013 C70 Platinum P* (1994 854T FWD, 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD, 2005 S60. 2.5T FWD RIP)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ever since the 2013 unveiling of the concept coupe that later became the Polestar 1 I've been hoping for a C70 replacement. The links are broken but we had a good discussion back then and in the thread linked inside: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?198235-The-C70-Replacement

For a while there were rumors of a "C90" coupe based on the S90 (or at a minimum the new scalable architecture platform) but no concrete evidence has been found. A couple of years ago there were some Volvo execs at our annual Boston-area Swedish Car Day and I asked them whether a C70 replacement was in the cards, and the response was "not in the immediate future."

I understand Volvo's decision given the market, but for me it's disappointing as for decades I've had 4-seat convertibles as my daily-driver and the C70 has been the best of the lot. I am thinking of replacing my C70 soon and a new version would be the leading candidate. Instead, looks like I'll be buying German...

·
Registered
464 Posts
During a conference last year, we had a Q&A period with Anders Gustafsson, one of us actually asked the question about the future of a coupe/convertible. He made it sound like it was a topic of conversation, but it was quite a few (read 5+) years away.

From the other discussions that I have had with various execs, my best guess is that a future coupe/convertible would most likely be a Polestar model, and not a Volvo model...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts