SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 894 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Prolix's luxury wagon and general malarkey

So, it's time for a new car for my wife. In 2013 she had a nice 06 XC70 and she loved the car quite a lot, far more than I expected. For 2014 I got her a 2010 S80 T6 Executive. She liked it, but really not as much as her XC70. For 2015 I asked what she wanted, and she said, "a blue XC70, just like my previous one."

For me, her car is the one we take on long trips so I too need to like it because I do the lions share of the driving. The thing that really bugged me about the 06 was the rear end was to soft and at high way speeds it felt to floaty, especially when maneuvering through traffic. I set to address this by putting an R sway bar on the back, but I didn't notice much difference. The car came with almost new H rated Michelin Defenders, so I couldn't quite justify switching them out for a V just because I wanted it a little firmer. In the end my solution was to get a "sportier" car for 2014 rather than modify the XC70 further.

Enter 2015 where I have agreed to get her another XC70. How do I make what we both want in a car come together in unity without doing anything extreme. This is my proposed project.

First a full tune up and complete suspension inspection replacing everything as needed. PCV, timing, changing all fluids, etc., nothing skipped.

#1 - 18 XC90 wheels with 235/50-18 tires with a V or higher speed rating
#2 - Adapt the 336 mm XC90 brakes to the car so the disks don't look so tiny in the larger wheel.
#3 - Put an R sway bar on the back
#4 - Install either the Viva Performance adjustable sway bar links or IPDs HD links
#5 - Put fresh shocks all the way around, perhaps adjustable Konis?
#6 - Perhaps an R air filter box and maybe some engine performance mods

I'm not aiming for anything mad, just some cosmetics and a stiffer rear end.

In answer to the coming questions

* I was planning on using the XC90 brakes because they are cheaper and easier to come by than R brakes
* I was planning on avoiding using the IPD sway bars because a factory R sway bar isn't much thinner and is much cheaper. I'm not aiming for the bleeding edge, just a firmer ride.
* I'm not aiming at a "performance" mod, just a nice suspension. I am seriously considering some modification, but that's not the main goal.

Any thoughts? I haven't seen anyone adapt XC90 brakes to one of these things yet, but I someone else has done it before. Shame the pictures won't load...
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showt...raded-to-XC90-V8-brake-system-(Photos-inside)

I haven't actually bought a car yet, so this is in the reasonable hypothesis stage priming to keep myself from doing anything rash.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
What is it with you and the R bar in the back?
I run V70R sway bars ALL AROUND, makes a HUGE difference, 235/55/17 Conti DWS tires and I just lowered it a hair with V70AWD (not XC) struts, shocks and springs and the difference is startling.
(Adjustable Konis are N/A for XCs)

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The front R bar is the same diameter as the stock xc70 bar. Or at least it was on the 06 xc70 compared to the donor 04 S60R.

I was wondering if AWD springs off something else could be helpful.

I have seen Koni's for xc70s, though you have to chop up the front struts to install the Koni strut inserts.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
No it is not (bar)
AWD springs off of what else, an S60AWD, why?

That's the old "cut a strut" fine for the front if you want to go through all that work, nothing available for the rears

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
#6 - Perhaps an R air filter box and maybe some engine performance mods
I have no problems logging ~250g/s with the stock box and element. If you go with the R box you'll need the R intake pipe as well. I also run a AEM cone filter for spirited runs which provides slightly better top end, but low to mid range performance is unchanged which leads me to believe the stock box and element are more than capable

Also you first engine mod should be a solid stage 0. After that consider a ECU tune the best bang for your buck when considering cost vs. gains.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
R sways are hallow I believe. That's why they are so much cheaper than IPDs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no problems logging ~250g/s with the stock box and element. If you go with the R box you'll need the R intake pipe as well. I also run a AEM cone filter for spirited runs which provides slightly better top end, but low to mid range performance is unchanged which leads me to believe the stock box and element are more than capable

Also you first engine mod should be a solid stage 0. After that consider a ECU tune the best bang for your buck when considering cost vs. gains.
That answers my questions, more or less. I happen to have a box lying around, but if it's not really a benefit, why bother? Perhaps if I have to clean the PCV I'll switch out for an R intake for kicks and giggles.

R sways are hallow I believe. That's why they are so much cheaper than IPDs
That's why I started this thread. I'm a budget minded fellow that is not apposed to spending money, I just want to know what I'm getting for it. I'm only planning to spend a couple grand on mods.

I'm shopping tires right now. Currently the canditites are Continental PureContact, Extreme DWS, or perhaps one of the Perellis on sale.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Go with the IPD sways. Much better. Pretty much most of the aftermarket stuff suspension wise will be bought through them. They seem to revise a lot of issues that OEM didnt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I should mention this may be a modest build, but it's a "value build" and isn't a "budget build."

I don't mind spending if needed or to get the desired result, I just want to know the benefit.

For example, what a set of IPD sway bars feel like as opposed to R bars. One is more expensive, but if there is value in the extra $200, it's worth it.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Handling: IPD R sways, front strut brace, the AWD springs setup that Jim did (assuming you don't need the ground clearance)
Power: get a tune. Rica appears to be a good choice for the LPT. Do the DP and intercooler, and a 3" intake.

There you go. Easy and straightforward.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I should mention this may be a modest build, but it's a "value build" and isn't a "budget build."

I don't mind spending if needed or to get the desired result, I just want to know the benefit.

For example, what a set of IPD sway bars feel like as opposed to R bars. One is more expensive, but if there is value in the extra $200, it's worth it.
Well if it means anything, people who own R model purchase the IPD sway bars. The R kit comes with a 28mm rear opposed to a 22mm rear with the XC kit, 25mm in the front for both.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Do you know what the stock R rear bar diameter is?

They work
I have them
This may help you decide what you may want

P2 Sway bar sizes stock vs IPD

S60R
Stock front 23.5mm / rear 20mm ipd front 25mm / rear 25mm
V70R
Stock front 23.5mm / rear 22mm ipd front 25mm / rear 28mm
XC70
Stock front 22.7mm/ rear 14.5 mm
ipd front 25mm / rear 22mm
I'm not sure of the difference in construction between the stock vs IPD, that would be a good question to pitch IPD.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
See, this is where I wondered if I care enough for those extra 6mm installing a IPD sway bars in the rear instead of getting a V70R bar.

On my previous XC70 I used an S60 R rear bar and the person I had install them saw that the front bar wasn't much larger than the stock bar and I told him to skip installing the front. I go back on forth on this one because I have an V70R about to be parted out and I can grab the bars off of it. I'll probably give it a try and see where that puts me since I already have it and doesn't actually involve spending extra money.

This is a modest build, remember? :)

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I'll probably give it a try and see where that puts me since I already have it and doesn't actually involve spending extra money.
I agree, I probably would have done rthe same if I had access to the V70R bars, but I would have had to purchase them and remove them from local part-outs, so I went with the IPD bars. In the end, anything is better than the stock bars.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
28mm is in the track spec kit
IPD used to offer two size rear bars. They may not now as the trac spec kit worked out so well

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have an R air filter box and maybe an intake as well. That's why I ask if there is any benefit to installing them. I'm really not interested in a extra intake or something like that for a 1-3% increase in performance, but if it's pretty cheap and does real world have benefits instead of boy racer charm *shrug* Maybe it will get it?

I ordered a set of Pirelli P Zeros today. There's a sale on tires that if ordering a set there is a $60 rebate bringing the price per tire to a very reasonable $127 before tax.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Said it before, the stock box and element gets me ~250g/s or potentially 310bhp at max rpm with an upgraded turbo, intake tract, intercooler, 3" downpipe and exhaust, and a stage 3 tune.
Sorry mate, you're right. I'm not paying attention. Stock box stays.

Question: how is the power delivery on a chipped 2.5T? I've driven quite a few chipped 850s, S70s, and C70s but I wasn't really impressed with the result. It was normal power, and then TORQUE STEER!!! *waves hands about*

I've driven plenty of S60/V70Rs and the new T6 family of engines and I found the more predictable power delivery much more to my liking. Can I expect more of the S70 torque steer or does it feel more like an R?

Yes, I know a XC70 is a dramatically different vehicle than the ones I'm comparing it to, but that's the point of references I have.

--------------------------------------------------------------

On a different subject:

For a point of reference for why I desperately want to replace nearly everything in this cars suspension before driving it any amount.

Two years ago this was me while test driving someone's car who didn't take care of their suspension. It broke and I lost all control at 55 mph. It was probably the most terrifying event in my life. Waking up in a grove of trees with only a vague idea where I was and no idea how I got there was quite an experience.

6 months ago it happened again. The C70 was being driven by a young driver who lost control and came sliding sideways into my lane. 50 mph to 0 and then sideways in under a second isn't fun. None of the doors on the car can open easily because entire structure of the car is buckled. It was actually shorted at some points by almost 2 feet.

When I get into an accident I suppose I pride myself on really destroying the cars. In the case of the S80 it was a 6 cylinder so there was rejoicing in heaven when it was destroyed.

When a car feels floaty or when it does unpredictable things, I am reminded of these accidents and I brake out in a cold sweat. I like speed, I like power, but PTSD is turning me into an old man!

1 - 20 of 894 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.