SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

A Modest XC Build

263K views 2K replies 90 participants last post by  nidul1 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I've been wanting a P3 XC70 T6 for some time. Initially I had a schedule for arrival and then move on to much grander things, I started with a 06 Xc70, move on to an early P3 S80 T6, then an XC70 T6, go to the facelift XC, and then maybe Land Rover, Mercedes, or Jaguar after that . My car budget was growing in a linear fashion I was working my way up the ladder. Pretty much the normal "American dream" idea in automotive terms.

But life threw me curve balls and medical emergencies and my car budget went from growing in a linear fashion to shrinking rapidly. I went from a 2006 XC70 to 2009 S80 T6 base to 2010 S80 T6 Executive, to a 220k 2006 base XC70. All my car money went to the usual places it goes in emergencies, and it sucked. It sucked a lot. In that bad place though, I discovered a resource I wouldn't have thought of as being helpful: Swedespeed. I tried blogging, therapy, and the normal outlets you go to when in bad places, but surprisingly, making my high mileage car survive was a better outlet than the others. Through this constant chatter, I've deepened friendships and gained some new ones. For that, thank you Swedespeed for being an outlet, and thank you Volvo wagon community for being such only an awesome resource and safe crash zone.

I'm especially grateful for @Because_Sweden, @Atherzoll, @FreedomFries and @Young Satchel. You guys are the best and have made my dark days significantly easier to bear.

This brings us up to today where my budget and the car I wanted are starting to align. Life got better and the car budget is rebounding, and it's time for another vehicle. I had been watching for a nice P3 for a long time, but if getting one, I wanted a really loaded one. I went from a nice P2 XC to an LR2 because it was much easier to find an LR2 optioned as I wanted it than to find a P3 Xc in budget, T6 or no.

I actually habitually check the entire United States for the car I want. Every. Single. Day. No lie, it takes up the first 30-40 minutes of my day. Each morning I scan to see what's coming up to see if there is something I want. Well, a two weeks ago I saw it, a 2012 with all the options I wanted plus a little blue badge on the back. I weighed options, I cross shopped for other Xcs, started a thread asking for photographs to try and sway my wife to a white alternative car requiring less work, but in the end, the car requiring the most work was the car for me and I bought it. You can read a little about that process here

For those not in the know: I run part of my family's business, L&B Auto in Rustburg VA. We've specialized in Volvo for over 30 years and have not only build a reputation for ourselves, but also a huge car collection. The salvage industry runs in my blood. Well over half of my extended family run salvage yards, work in them, or run some sort of business in relation to the automotive industry. By the time I was 21 I had purchased, drove, and then sold more cars than some people have owned in their lifetime. I'm not bragging, and it's actually not quite as much fun as it sounds, it just is a reality of anyone who works in this industry. Cars become like stocks, purchasing cheap, letting them mature, and then trading them off only to do the same with another stock. In reality, it can be quite soulless and those who make the most money usually buy and sell boring cars. The numbers can be glamorous, but the nitty gritty can be tremendously tedious and time consuming for a good finished product.

So, this build thread is to not only give a look into what the rebuild process looks like, a little glimpse into modern salvage industry, but also to provide interesting new sights of the cars we love. You never really understand your car until you've pulled it fully apart and put it back together again.

Here are the photos I took when it was delivered in it's full raw form. Tomorrow morning I start pulling things apart, ordering parts, and making it the car of my dreams.

A few days ago, the car was delivered and the build thread commences!

Lets have some fun!

Here is the day it was dropped off while still on the truck.

A few photos before I do anything to the car.

See less See more
#3 ·
Rolf and I await!

#4 ·
Whoa, I did not realize when you were searching for a P3 you were talking about wrecked P3's! Wowzer, this should be exciting! Bring that P* back from the grave! :eek:

#5 · (Edited)
I was searching many different sources, but it did including salvage. I had gotten away from it for several years because of the time commitment, but this car was to good to pass up.

When I get a pet, I almost always get a rescue. For cars, I don't call them salvage, I also call them rescues. They were abandoned in their moment of greatest triumph - protecting their owners. My car shelter checks for diseases, makes sure shots are up to date, treats their wounds, and I unite them with a new family.

This is my other latest rescue

#6 ·
Knew you'd been quiet for a while, but just figured busy. Hope whatever it was has been sorted out. Don't need more details, as that is far too personal for such a private thing, but glad you're back!

Looking forward to the progress of this fine auto, as it sounds like you've finally found a keeper (well, for you). :)

The care you take and the details you share on your repairs and upgrades have always been good reads. I'm in for this ride!

Reactions: nidul1
#9 ·
Progress is made and the vital parts are fine.

The frame rails didn't take damage

The power steering reservoir and intake manifold were not so fortunate

Left over pieces to sort out what I need to keep and what's OK to pitch.

The iron grill mostly survived...

#20 ·
#12 ·
Unfortunately, a job like this often translates to a one man operation. There isn't really enough space for two to work and you end up getting in each other's way. It's more fun that way though. :)

And Zed, the difficult years with medical emergencies are behind me and was resolved about a year and a half ago. I haven't been posting much because the first quarter of the year is usually insanely busy and the lack of daylight hours restricts activities.

#14 ·
Well aware. I'm better on collaboration, but for someone who knows what they are truly doing, I'd be in the way big time. Love the fetcher, and the wheel is awesome. Find the other three!
Unfortunately, a job like this often translates to a one man operation. There isn't really enough space for two to work and you end up getting in each other's way. It's more fun that way though. :)

And Zed, the difficult years with medical emergencies are behind me and was resolved about a year and a half ago. I haven't been posting much because the first quarter of the year is usually insanely busy and the lack of daylight hours restricts activities.

#15 ·
I made great progress today.

I pulled everything apart on the front end and collected nearly everything to make it safely mobile on it's own power.

This is how I left it, now with a functional intake and power steering reservoir. I also replaced a damaged ac line that I forgot to take pictures of.

I have a social function to attend and couldn't go any further. Two of my brothers are going to work on it briefly this afternoon in my stead as the car must be fully mobile and out of the bay it's in by Monday 7 am.

Further work being done:

* Bolt points for the bumper bar straightened
* Radiator, condenser, and intercooler installed
* Radiator support installed
* A damaged coolant hose replaced
* A couple damaged wiring connectors changed

We will see what free time there will be in Sunday and perhaps the repair will progress even further.

#16 ·
Holy ****, you're gonna have this thing on the road in no time!

Awesome...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
When is that?

#21 · (Edited)

Subscribed and all I got (for now) was this....T-...

You have some great reviews Justin.LandB.Service@gmail.com

2/7/2016

My 05 Volvo was rear-end destroyed & that car saved my life. I researched on dealers for days then drove 6 hours into the lovely VA mountains with old farms all around (a Mennonite community I believe) to get to the most amazing Volvo rehab facility you will find anywhere. There are thousands of used Volvos on hand for them to pull parts from (it is like the Forest Lawn of Volvos), a body shop just for Volvos & mechanics just for Volvos with decades of experience in obtaining insurance-written off Volvos with surprising little damage (they give you "before" pictures for the cars you consider). Lynn and his family/workers know everything about Volvos & they do all the body work/mechanical work themselves to bring you a tip-top shape car with seriously low miles (my 07 xc70 has 57k miles & is beautiful) for thousands of dollars less than you can find anywhere else. What is more, Lynn and his community up there have old-world values of hard work, integrity, honesty, modesty, and lack of greed. They have pride in what they do & they want you to have a good reliable & safe car. I have purchased 12 cars in my lifetime and have never had a car-buying experience like this. It is like an old world craftsman built you a custom piece of furniture & can tell you everything about it & you can enjoy it with confidence for many years. I drove my 07 xc70 that I bought from them 310 miles back to coastal NC after that through rain & some sleet with zero problems. They even have a 2-month / 2k miles warranty should anything go wrong. Even more, I know I can call Lynn & get his decades of specialty knowledge in Volvos to help with whatever might come up. If you want safety #1 get a Volvo. If you want that unparalleled level of experience/expertise and integrity to get a really fine car with low miles and a seriously good price, hit the road for L & B Auto up in Rustburg, VA.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?215040-2010-S80-T6-Executive-Feeler

#22 · (Edited)
Aww, you're going to make me blush on the reviews. We've always built the business by our reputation, primarily by word of mouth and very little payed advertising. We've always had a long game focus in mind where we seek to create lasting relationships and repeat customers rather than maximum profits from all transactions.

Man, you're pulling up old history on that executive. I sold that, 2 or 3 years ago? My time lines do get mixed up. That was right about the time things got really difficult. I put it up for sale with plans to get a lovely white 2009 CL550 4matic, but life got in the way and we ended up scaling way back and got the high milage XC. In retrospect, it was an excellent unfortunate turn of events.

Coincidentally I got my first CL in late December and my first v12. What goes around comes around.

Here's my Jag and Benz together.

20 cylinders, 2 turbos, and 1 supercharger producing a combined 900 hp.

Haha, and because you will probably ask, the XJ rides on 20's, but only 19's on the CL.

#24 ·
I hope you guys do all attend Carlisle. I'm planning on it. Rained like crazy last year but still fun to be a part of one of the largest volvo and Saab gatherings in the nation among other marques. Always a good time and fun to meet members. This year we have to get user names on shirts, so when you're not with your ride people know who you are. Scottish mentioned it last year, but it was too late to plan. I vote for gold on black...
I'm about an hour or so away. Day tripper with no camping for me.

#25 · (Edited)
Three discoveries today to the end out the weekend

1) The car has a transmission cooler thermostat. A 2008 T6 does not and a 2011 S60 T6 doesn't have one either. Mine is broken and I will need to order a replacement. Thankfully they aren't particularly expensive with a retail or $150-190.

2) The car will have to go on a frame machine as the bumper bar bolts don't quite line up. I will take pictures of the car while it's on the racks, but this will be a set back on the otherwise blitzing schedule.

3) I found the original window sticker in the car

A couple set backs but decent progress for the first week of ownership.

Here is the other T6 I got in that has a cosmetically very nice set of wheels and comparable tires that I could swap with.

Thinking about what other wheel options I have around in an 18" size and I would be curious to see a Balious on one. I know I've seen Zubras and non-chrome Venators represented a few times to reasonable success. The Venators is growing on me, but I suppose I could put pegs on it too. I really get tired of seeing Pegs on most things as it's the "go to choice," but set on a newer car can look ace. Odysseus is my one of my favorite 18" wheels from the p3 generation but I'm not sure how it will look on an XC.

Fortuna could stay on the table too...

Anyone want to photoshop me some wheels? :)

#28 ·
3) I found the original window sticker in the car :)
Dang; That's a fully optioned XC70 you found. Congrats!!! It's going to look great when you get it all put back together.

#26 ·
Are the wheels on the t6 wagon you're fixing bad? I far prefer those. Non chrome venators may be sweet. Dang. Good luck (I know YOU can do it) getting all that electronic crap to work up front again. Sweet car. Loving the progress, but freaks me out that those are parked so close together. :)

#27 ·
Eh, the electronics aren't very bad at all. It's modular plug and play for the most part. It's actually a lot easier to sort out what is and is not working on newer cars than the older ones. Haha, or I should say, it is easier when you have the right diagnostic equipment. For the most part things communicate or they don't, CAN is up or it's down and being able to get live data out of everything makes for convenient diagnostics.

#29 ·
That's my exact XC70 package, Prolix. Fully optioned. It's cool to see what my window sticker would have looked like!

And I LOVE the "getting parts vehicle".

#30 ·
Same options as my P3XC. You're going to love that adaptive cruise! The only option I didn't get is uhm .. the T6 P*.

#36 ·
Looks great! There is an app in the (Dutch) appstore from VOLVO that allows you to change rims on your car. Thats what I used, no photoshop. Think they changed/updated the app lately. Nice feature but not sure if it can be found in the US store. Those wheels realy look similar, didnt know, nothing wrong with them. Thick spokes, nice.