SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1661 - 1680 of 1698 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,661
I thought I would try to entertain you during these gloomy times with a project I did the last few months.
Oh good! I'm so glad to hear that Joseph inspired more people to do the same! We few, we happy few, we band of brothers with V70 T6s. Now there are 2 of us! Please do keep sharing as everyone loves a V70 R!

I see you went a bit further than me in sourcing the silver interior trim and the Polestar wheels and interior. It looks very nice!

-----

And to everyone sad that Joseph will be up for sale? Don't worry, Joseph 2 and I will still be around, I'm only shifting time priorities around to other things. Hopefully the next owner will take Joseph 1 to the next level and go even further with the build.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hello,

First time posting anything……ever….on any social media platform, so please forgive me in advance if I break any unwritten social media rules that I am not aware of.

I thought I would try to entertain you during these gloomy times with a project I did the last few months.

First of all, I want to thank Prolix for the inspiration. I don’t think I would’ve ventured myself in a project like this without the trailblazing skills of Prolix with his Joseph project.

Bottom line is, I took my own 2009 XC70 T6 AWD and modified it into a V70. I’m a big fan of Polestar (Version 1, jury is still out on V2) so the goal was to make myself a V70 Polestar like if it would’ve been done from the factory, TFT retrofit and all. I’m obviously not done with multiple mods still in the pipe, including the XC badge removal…

Here’s the not yet finished product, but the overall look and feel is pretty much what you see. Still some trims missing and my rear spoiler to install. The rest will have to wait until springtime as this one is going into storage for winter.

It is quite a long project to detail but I can always give you more information if you want. I will try to take better pictures before putting it into storage. And please let me know if you can see the pictures.

I hope you guys enjoy.

Thanks

Looks good!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
How hard was it to swap out the side mirrors with the BLIS?
That is one of the v70 vs xc70 details that bugs me the most...why does the xc70 need huge, truck-sized side mirrors?
Also, looks like Prolix might have to change his signature now.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,664
How hard was it to swap out the side mirrors with the BLIS?
That is one of the v70 vs xc70 details that bugs me the most...why does the xc70 need huge, truck-sized side mirrors?
Also, looks like Prolix might have to change his signature now.
I've not done it to tell you how to do it, but my body people say the mirror base is the same xc to non and the size of the cover can be swapped out. I liked the high function giant mirrors and never really thought about switching it. I can be done for any buyer if desired, but I don't have the R-D caps.

As for changing my signature? Yes, I'll need to reword it at least. "Builder of the first V70 T6 in North America" or something like that? Though delivery date might get pushed back as we had a distance relative pass this week and I am going to be helping with finalizing the estate. There is always something going on...

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Hello,

First time posting anything……ever….on any social media platform, so please forgive me in advance if I break any unwritten social media rules that I am not aware of.

First of all, I want to thank Prolix for the inspiration. I don’t think I would’ve ventured myself in a project like this without the trailblazing skills of Prolix with his Joseph project.

Bottom line is, I took my own 2009 XC70 T6 AWD and modified it into a V70. I’m a big fan of Polestar (Version 1, jury is still out on V2) so the goal was to make myself a V70 Polestar like if it would’ve been done from the factory, TFT retrofit and all. I’m obviously not done with multiple mods still in the pipe, including the XC badge removal…

Here’s the not yet finished product, but the overall look and feel is pretty much what you see. Still some trims missing and my rear spoiler to install. The rest will have to wait until springtime as this one is going into storage for winter.

It is quite a long project to detail but I can always give you more information if you want. I will try to take better pictures before putting it into storage. And please let me know if you can see the pictures.

I hope you guys enjoy.

Thanks
This thing is sweet! You’ve clearly put a ton of work into it and it’s one of the more involved XC transformations I’ve seen. I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks this is worthy of a separate build thread! Please post a thread with more details and I will follow with great interest.

·
Registered
15,477 Posts
Hello,

I hope you guys enjoy.

Thanks

The ONLY thing you did incorrectly was to post such small pictures!! White wagons are so sweet. ITCHING to see gorgeous hq imagery of this beauty inspired by Joseph and his technicolor past! Please find a hosting site and post. Can’t wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,473 Posts
The ONLY thing you did incorrectly was to post such small pictures!! White wagons are so sweet. ITCHING to see gorgeous hq imagery of this beauty inspired by Joseph and his technicolor past! Please find a hosting site and post. Can’t wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
click on them

·
Registered
160 Posts
Question:

Joseph does not have sport mode.

This is.... frustrating.

It would be irritating to have to buy another car just to get sport mode.
Did you ever figure out if you could access sport mode?
I'm in the same boat where I wish I had sport mode but can't seem to figure out how to find it or turn it on.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Joseph in the morning dew.

It's time to start the write up of the Modest XC and what was involved to turn an xc70 into a v70 for buyers to have a concise document rather than a 48 page build thread with 1,650 posts.

Serious buyers are welcome to schedule a test drive ahead of the auction date or however the end sale is decided.
Hi Justin, do you have pics and specs anywhere for Joseph? I might be interested in releasing him from your hands. He'd be treated like a king and you'd be welcome to visit when ever you wanted :)

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,670 (Edited)
Hi Justin, do you have pics and specs anywhere for Joseph? I might be interested in releasing him from your hands. He'd be treated like a king and you'd be welcome to visit when ever you wanted :)

So, this is a brief summary. I'm working on a full write up with descriptions of the conversion with pictures of the process.

At the time of sale the oil will have been replaced, the oil deflector unit having been changed, and a new VA state safety inspection was performed.

2012 XC70 T6
452 Black Sapphire Metallic
Vin: YV4902BZ2C1133711
Estimated Miles at the time of sale: 88,000 miles estimated
Number of keys: 2

Factory options for the car
* It has the standard T6 Platinum options, the technology pack, and the climate packages. These package include the following
* Backup camera
* Front and rear park sensors
* Navigation
* Premium sound
* Heated front and rear seats
* Adaptive cruise control
* Blind Spot Monitors
* Active Xenon Headlights
* The 2012 year model has both bluetooth for phone calls and bluetooth audio.
* Power liftgate
* Keyless drive entry and start - ie., the key never leaves your pocket to start it, lock, or unlock
* Lane departure warning
* It has the climate package with heated headlight washer nozzles and headlight washers - the headlight washers have been deleted
* The car has all the factory options except for the front camera and you can look through the sales brochure here

Upgrades and modifications

* The rear swaybar was upgraded to the IPD unit
* The shocks and springs were replaced with Heico units sourced from Viva Performance
* A front strut brace from an S60 R-Design
* Blue dials were swapped into the instrument cluster from an S60 R-Design
* A custom R-Design steering wheel created by Viva Performance and covered the R-Design insignia with a 1 of 1 sticker in replication of the Polestar numbering system -- the steering wheel is heated and has paddle shifter, neither of which are options for this year and do not work. They maybe can be made to work, but I have not explored this and make no garantee it could be made to work.
* A leather wrapped dash from an S80 Inscription was installed. Originally the lower portion of the dash was tan and I dyed it black to match the car.
* Both front seats were switched out with R-Design units from a 2014 S60
* The stock wheels were replaced many many times, and in the end they wear a set of 19” wheels from a 2019 S60 R-design and are wrapped in 255/40 Pirrelli P7 A/S+ tires.
* A rear spoiler was installed
* The shifter knob was replaced with an R-Design unit
* the bumper grill was replaced with a 2013+ style grill
* A custom leather key cover with Joseph embossed on it is included
* Front brakes were upgraded to the 336 mm size from a 2014 s60 R-Design
* Brake rotors are drilled/slotted all the way around a vibrate a little bit for it

Service work done to the car is all documented while under my care

* Oil changed performed every 5k miles with 5w30 full synthetic meeting a MB229.71 oil spec
* The a/c compressor was replaced at 57k
* The serpentine belt, pulleys, and water pump was replaced at the same time as the a/c compressor
* All the engine mounts were replaced around 70k
* Rear swaybar links were replaced at 71k
* Spark plugs were replaced at 71k miles
* Transmission and brake fluids were replaced at 71k
* The brake vacuum pump was re-sealed somewhere between 75-80k miles
* Everything on the high speed network was updated at the time of purchase - engine computer, transmission, power steering, adaptive cruise, etc.
* A new Volvo windshield was installed in July 2019

The car does have a branded title per the accident of when I purchased it. It is still possible to have full coverage insurance on the car, though not all insurance companies will provide full coverage. Geico for instance does not care. I’ve registered dozens through them with full coverage without drama. I will provide more details about the repaired brand and what all was done during the repair in more detail for the final write up, or you can look back through this thread to see it. It is also possible to finance a car with a branded tittle as well, but the rules are a bit different. I can include more info on that on the full write up as well.

I am the second owner of the car*, though carfax incorrectly reports 3 as my shop is considered the “2nd” owner for some reason. I purchased the car at auction through my dealer license and then registered it to myself post repair. Carfax is not supposed to report a dealer as an owner, but for some reason on this report it does.

-----------

The plan was to start driving Joseph 2 and then start cleaning up Joseph 1 for photos and documentation. I posted about the plans to sell well in advance of this being done because there are several people who have been asking/waiting for this to arrive for quite some time. Someone stopped by and drove the car in it's dirty state last week and someone else will be driving Joseph later today; I'll ask if they have any thoughts to share.

The plan is to post on auction, probably Cars & Bids or perhaps BaT. You can make offers I can't refuse ahead of time, but auction is the plan. I would consider trades.

I plan to have a PPI done at a dealer other than myself to provide assurance of my repairs being done correctly - though, this will probably not be an official dealer as the one in my area is very poor. Instead it will be done by a shop that specializes in Euro and Exotics - they work on far more Germans than Swedes, but they are still probably a better choice for a PPI than my closest dealer.

Bellow is a screen grab from the new feature from carfax replicating the factory window sticker. I still have the factory window sticker, so I'll compare the two later today.

·
Registered
15,473 Posts
The original does mirror the carfax version. Is a nice new feature from carfax!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Oooooo that's slick. Someone should try this with a 850 and see how close it gets.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Justin, apologies for my lack of knowledge, what type if title would the vehicle have and have you passed an emissions inspection for it? Thanks.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Apparently I was the first to test J1 after Justin's announcement. The car stayed planted to the road in all situations. Some may think the suspension a bit too firm, but it never bottomed hard on the back roads around L&B. Although I didn't get to test J1's high-speed manners, he got to 80 pdq and stopped just as well. Turn-in was precise without being twitchy. Fit and lack of noise were just fine. I didn't test all the bells and whistles, but I'm sure they will all work as they should come auction time. For someone my size - 46" jacket around broad ribs and shoulders - the R-Design seats were too snug. Justin said the originals are still available; I assume they would feel about like the seats in my old P2 V70, the best I've ever had. Even better than the "Comfort" seats in our 535i.

Other than the price hit, one needn't worry about the "R" title. The car's reconstruction was all covered in the first 8 pages of this blog.

686Sport

·
Registered
193 Posts
For someone my size - 46" jacket around broad ribs and shoulders - the R-Design seats were too snug.
Man I sure would like these in the MM...

Prolix, just wanted to say thanks for this thread and the level of detail you went into with the build. I've no plans to do anything of the sort to our XC, but it is our first Volvo and I learned a metric sh!t tonne about the P3 reading through it. Good luck with the sale, hope he goes to a good home, and looking forward to your adventures with J2!

Oh yeah, if you have another set of those R Design seats laying around, let me know :D

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,676
Justin, apologies for my lack of knowledge, what type if title would the vehicle have and have you passed an emissions inspection for it? Thanks.
So, a very simple explanation for this would be: we've all seen a car with graffiti spray painted on it; whether gang signs, angry messages to an ex, or what just keying and slashed tires. Whatever the damage is, the results are the same to an insurance company. If you have comprehensive insurance, they are obligated to make the damage disappear like it never happened (and probably raise your rates). An insurance grade paint job for an entire car that's been spray painted sits in the $4-8k range, depending on the size of the car, the amount of damage done, paint color, etc. Throw in some damaged lights, cracked windows, etc and the insurance will bulk at actually fixing the car. In the insurance algorithm once a repair cost starts hitting around the 70% of the retail value of the car it's easier to just pay out the customer instead of fixing it. A 3-4 week rental, the possibilities for delays or additional costs being discovered while the repairs are being done, etc and the insurance will total loss a car.

Once a car is declared a total loss the insurance company pays off the owner, they take possession of the car, and they send it off to auction.

Here's a simple time line of this:

• Johnny cheats on his girlfriend.
  • Girlfriend vandalizes Johnny's 2011 BMW 328 coupe in retaliation.
  • Insurance decides the repair cost will be $8k and the car is worth $8.9k and total loss it.
  • Johnny has a $1k deductible, so the insurance pays him for the car minus his deductible. Johnny gets a check for $7.9k and the insurance company gets the car and the title.
  • Insurance company converts the title to a salvage title and ships the car to auction. - Once a car has a salvage brand, it is not legal to put back on the road for any reason.
  • The car is auctioned off to anyone who wants to bid and has appropriate licensees – this could be a local salvage yard, or even international bidders from anywhere in the world.
  • Once the auction is complete the car goes to whomever bought it and that buyer can chose to convert the title to something other than salvage and put it back on the road.
  • Of the step of conversion each state is a little different, but the idea is more or less the same. The owner submits a plea saying they have repaired the damage to the point that it is safe to put on the road and send paperwork documenting that to the DMV.
  • The DMV completes their process, and once it's done, they send a new title to the owner of the car. This title says the car is legal to be put back on the road, but for consumer protection, the title has a Repaired Brand so that everyone looking at the car will always know about it, no matter how dishonest the seller might be.

In the case of Johnny's BMW, the buyer may decide that instead of painting the car, those spray paint letters can buff out, or maybe he paints it himself or wraps it, but it was done in a way that didn't cost what the insurance company quoted.

Say, the car is purchased for $2900, is fixed in some way for $2k, and it's a car for $5900 instead of the retail of $8.9.

The huge distinction is between Salvage and Branded Titles is that Salvage titles cannot be legally driven on the road, Branded Titles are legal to drive, but consumer protection rules require accident history to be disclosed.

Where branded titles have a very bad reputation for a very good reason is how repairs are performed. For instance if Johnny's old BMW gets a dirt cheap paint job and then resold to an ignorant buyer who doesn't know what to look for, 2 years down the road all the paint starts coming off and they have no idea why. They have an ugly car that's worth a small fraction of what they paid for it, and they're stuck with taking a loss. This is why the brand. If the consumer sees the brand on the title, they can ask what the accident was and how the repairs were performed.

Enter Joseph who has all of his history fully disclosed. He can be registered and insured in every state, and passing emissions will not be an issue; at least not any more of an issue than any other 2012 Volvo with 86k miles on it. However, he does have his history, and I'm fully transparent about that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you write songs by the way?...
Sorry to be so slow in replying. I'm a poet (we're veiled here by tradition, but I do have lots of books out...). Most poets write songs; I do once in a while. Not being a musician, if I were to get serious about them, I'd need someone to write the music -- & to sing them, as I am definitely not able to sing!

A friend did that with one of my songs -- an homage to the great Hank Williams song "Alone & Forsaken." Here's Hank's unforgettable version of his song. It's better than my homage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hATx6m3Lm7I

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,679
On the Joseph 2 front Mrs. Prolix has started driving it. The first night she come up to me in a huff, "you didn't warn me about the headlights! Apparently the car thinks I drive like an a**hole and keeps turning off the high beams long before I think they should be turned off. I'm perfectly capable of turning my high beams on and off and driving like an a**hole if I want to."

Outside of that, she likes J2 just fine. Currently J2 has the Holegen headlights for the car to remain functional while the Xenons are sourced. Today headlights were ordered with a very interesting Over Seas Delivery red interior attached to them. More importantly, the super rare S80 sport seats that I've been trying to get my hands on for several years. Mrs. Prolix says there were be no red interiors in her life, so if the seats are used, they will have to have custom seat covers made.

For whatever it's worth, I actually do not like red interiors either. Red accent is OK, but it's really not my scene.

----

On the J1 front: the second test drive happened on Sunday and the driver did something I didn't realize Joseph could do. They chirped tires on a launch. I never knew J1 could do that, especially not with the 255 width tires, but I guess I was wrong. :shrug: I learn something new!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks a lot. Much appreciated. I will certainly find the time to start a new thread and explain what I did. I have been told so many times lately that i'm crazy because of all these projects (Yes, there is more happening), I'm actually looking forward to getting feedback from people who actually understands for a change... :)

1661 - 1680 of 1698 Posts