SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the car back from the shop almost 2 weeks ago after a clutch job fiasco. 2006 S40 with 160k, M66 T5. Car runs great... or ran great. Driving normally in varied terrain, and the AC went out. Stopped to fill up the tank and popped the hood to look for obvious causes and everything looked Ok. Put the gas cap back making sure it clicked. Went to start the car and the Check engine light came on right away. I went and had Autozone codescan it- it came up with a long list of codes:
P0102
P0445
P0079
P0076
P0245
P2419
P2401
P0497

In this order twice.
I am going to try pulling the negative battery and letting it sit for an hour.
Should I go further and remove both cables and tie them together to hard reset things? Any possibility that maybe I just have an ECU cable that wiggled loose? No codes for two weeks the. This after the AC goes out- seems suspect. Before I do all this, are there any things I should get beforehand? I am planning to get the radio code ahead of time- anything else like the security system or anything else?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
+1 for checking the battery/fuses and pray it's not some deeper electrical glitch (there was a guy somewhere on the internets on a XC90 that got check engine lighting up every time he used the left turn signal).
My S40 just thrown p0001 and p0410 at me after listening music for 30 minutes with the engine turned off. Both went away after without clearing them, after a couple starts.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the fuses and found 2 things funny- first, it was indeed a blown fuse- according to the fuse box it is F35, which is a 15A fuse... except the fuse in the fuse box was a 20a! I replaced it with the same thing that was in there. Took it out for a 5-mile test drive and it blew a few miles out. Still no AC. Pulled and reseated the fuse box plug. Also, the intake (unmetered?) hose on the airbox had separated from the right-angle intake to the left of the radiator so I reconnected it. Any idea what would make this fuse blow? Any idea how to get my ac back? It stopped suddenly- belt is intact. Feel electrical or mechanical but not like a Freon problem. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Start undoing common fail connectors and driving it for a bit.

The PTC Sensor next to the oil filter is a common one to go and either STOP working entirely or create a short to ground. Try unplugging it and working your way down the list of codes till you "potentially" find an issue. If they all test good then you know you have a wire issue somewhere.

Also all of these point to ashort or an issue with a ground somewhere in your PCV and Gas tank purge systems given that they're all LOW and all on the same circuit -
P0102 - MAF Circuit Low
P0445 - Evap Emission Purge Control Valve Shorted DTC
P0079 - Exhaust Valve Coontrol Solenoid Circuit Low (Bank 1)
P0076 - Intake Valve Control Solenoid Circuit Low (Bank 1)
P0245 - Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Low
P2419 - Evaporative Emission System Switching Valve Control Circuit Low
P2401 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit
P0497 - Evaporative Emission System Low Purge Flow

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So... what’s the best way to unplug the PTC resistor? Do i have to pull the whole ECU? Or is there a connector at the other end I can pull instead? I have bad memories of the last time I pulled the airbox out! Let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
So... what’s the best way to unplug the PTC resistor? Do i have to pull the whole ECU? Or is there a connector at the other end I can pull instead? I have bad memories of the last time I pulled the airbox out! Let me know. Thanks!
It is the only electrical plug on the PCV system - the place where you change the oil filter...It has nothing to do with the ecu or the airbox, though you may need to shift it over to reach the area.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks- I know you don’t need to unplug things, but thought they might have to come completely out- thanks for clarifying that there is wiggle room!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I checked the fuses and found 2 things funny- first, it was indeed a blown fuse- according to the fuse box it is F35, which is a 15A fuse... except the fuse in the fuse box was a 20a! I replaced it with the same thing that was in there. Took it out for a 5-mile test drive and it blew a few miles out. Still no AC. Pulled and reseated the fuse box plug. Also, the intake (unmetered?) hose on the airbox had separated from the right-angle intake to the left of the radiator so I reconnected it. Any idea what would make this fuse blow? Any idea how to get my ac back? It stopped suddenly- belt is intact. Feel electrical or mechanical but not like a Freon problem. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks again for the help!
I would start by putting a 15 amp fuse back in instead of a 20amp. Using a fuse with higher amperage can cause all sorts of problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts