1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Pay to play. If I could make that in my garage I wouldn't need IPD to do it and pay them 270.00 to do so. I decided to keep intial fabrication down, by going this route, and to ease installation in some areas. Going to see what IPDs turbo is capable of hopefully.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Me to and I'm gunna wait to see how it goes after people run it for a year or so a lot of parts and things to go wrong. My R can make due with a viva stage three I have on the way.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pay to play indeed... I'm looking forward to some bundled discounts once the turbo is released.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
$249.00 :screwy:. Don't get me wrong I can fully understand the R&D that may have gone into this. But in the end its just reinforced silicone. At that price I would get the Snabb intake, and never worry about again.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Pretty sure it's essentially the same thing as the Snabb too, except for the additional port for the bypass valve.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Man IPD, stuff is getting more and more expensive...

·
Registered
501 Posts
The more i think of it I wonder how the rougher wire enforced silicone design flows as opposed to a smooth aluminum pipe. I know some after market companies for other vehicles (CorkSport comes to mind) have found that an aluminum pipe flows better and the heat transfer was nonexistent due to the rate that the air flows through the pipe. Then again I've never seen the inside of ipd's pipes so they might have a smooth inner layer.

·
Registered
998 Posts
The more i think of it I wonder how the rougher wire enforced silicone design flows as opposed to a smooth aluminum pipe. I know some after market companies for other vehicles (CorkSport comes to mind) have found that an aluminum pipe flows better and the heat transfer was nonexistent due to the rate that the air flows through the pipe. Then again I've never seen the inside of ipd's pipes so they might have a smooth inner layer.
I have IPD's turbo inlet pipe (similar to SNABB's) and the inside is pretty smooth. The one thing I don't understand was that the inside was dirty with rust(?) when I received it.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Ya'll really have no idea how freaking expensive tooling for injection molding a part like this is. Hint: More money than many people make in a year.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Ya'll really have no idea how freaking expensive tooling for injection molding a part like this is. Hint: More money than many people make in a year.
So how do other manufacturers sell similar parts for 1/3 the price?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-IMPR...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item51a12650e3

Don't give me the regular limited market BS and how we should be thankful that parts are still being made for these cars... It's a simple silicone mold. they didn't have to make their own tooling right? They already have a parts supplier since they already offer silicone pipes. Just design this in Solid Works and have a CnC machine make the mold. It's not rocket science.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-IMPR...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item51a12650e3

Don't give me the regular limited market BS and how we should be thankful that parts are still being made for these cars... It's a simple silicone mold. they didn't have to make their own tooling right? They already have a parts supplier since they already offer silicone pipes. Just design this in Solid Works and have a CnC machine make the mold. It's not rocket science.
+1

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

Sorry... but it IS limited market that makes it expensive. The mold is made once for a part. They then sell, what, 500 of them to Volvo R owners? The Subaru scene on the other hand... there's probably 20 times as many STis in Edmonton as there are Volvo Rs. Sell twenty times as many parts... a fixed cost that was contributing, say, $50 to the price of an item is now contributing $2.50.

Then there's the fact the average Volvo owner (from new) makes a bit more than the average Subaru owner so they can charge more without being laughed out of business... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Sorry... but it IS limited market that makes it expensive. The mold is made once for a part. They then sell, what, 500 of them to Volvo R owners? The Subaru scene on the other hand... there's probably 20 times as many STis in Edmonton as there are Volvo Rs. Sell twenty times as many parts... a fixed cost that was contributing, say, $50 to the price of an item is now contributing $2.50.

Then there's the fact the average Volvo owner (from new) makes a bit more than the average Subaru owner so they can charge more without being laughed out of business... :rolleyes:
Another important factor is that there are significantly more companies making parts for Subarus as opposed to Volvos so the competition helps to drive down the price as well.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts