SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the rooting and hacking going on, it just seems that someone, somewhere, is working on a stable way to increase the XC 90s app library and other access through Sensus. I wonder if that has already happened with 360 view by increasing the mph upper limit for displaying that view.

A person would need advanced tech expertise with a Sensus or Sensus-like system or successful direct personal experience to answer this question. 100% stability of any "off label" procedure would be a requirement for something useful.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I don't have experience so I suggest a negative answer. You want stable updates then wouldn't want to try anything from someone else. I root and flash my Android phone but will not want to mess with Sensus.

Android phone is quite open and standard. But Sensus will never be opened for third party customization.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
559 Posts
With all the rooting and hacking going on, it just seems that someone, somewhere, is working on a stable way to increase the XC 90s app library and other access through Sensus. I wonder if that has already happened with 360 view by increasing the mph upper limit for displaying that view.

A person would need advanced tech expertise with a Sensus or Sensus-like system or successful direct personal experience to answer this question. 100% stability of any "off label" procedure would be a requirement for something useful.
A 'jail-broken' car?

A) Seems like a crazy idea. I would never, ever install a jail-broken piece of software in my car. Just too many things that could theoretically go wrong. And while that's true of the official software, at least I know there's a company's reputation on the line and someone with deep pockets who'd be liable if something were screwed up too badly. With hacked software, not only would I be voiding the warranty, but I wouldn't even be able to blame anyone if something went wrong that led to an accident or worse.

B) There's not enough of a market to make this worthwhile. Volvo sells 80,000 XC90s globally a year. Maybe another 40-50,000 S90s. By the time the SPA platform is fully rolled out across the whole product line, maybe they'll be selling 500,000 vehicles worldwide.

Apple sells over 200MM iPhones per year. Just more of a market for people who want to spend the time to develop jailbroken or rooted software.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Would be neat if someone makes a module that intercepts the 360view cameras and allows the footage to record to a sd card like a dash cam.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The amount of Volvo's with the new Sensus is now limited to the all-new XC90. When the S90 and V90 hit the market, the volume will increase rapidly. All these additional features are available for other cars as well, so why not Sensus?

Just wait and see ;)

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Would be neat if someone makes a module that intercepts the 360view cameras and allows the footage to record to a sd card like a dash cam.
I would pay extra for this feature!

BTW, did anyone even hook up a dash cam in the XC90?? I would love to do that.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Give it some time. the F-series BMWs took about 1.5 year half for certified coding outfits to emerge. Now they can code everything from parking speed reader, increase 360 camera speed limit to almost everything else. Have not seen engine updates, but mostly software based features availabel in higher models recoded for the lower spec models. BMW coding forums can give you can idea of what im talking about

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Give it some time. the F-series BMWs took about 1.5 year half for certified coding outfits to emerge. Now they can code everything from parking speed reader, increase 360 camera speed limit to almost everything else. Have not seen engine updates, but mostly software based features availabel in higher models recoded for the lower spec models. BMW coding forums can give you can idea of what im talking about
There is no question these adaptations can be made to Sensus. Too many of the features are purposely restricted. The question is who and when. The BMW experience may give us some insight. If we keep asking someone may decide to see what they can accomplish. I have heard rumors about a camera hack to increase the speed limit at which the camera works but I have nothing definite to point to.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
can anyone confirm the presence of a secondary interface on the XC90? not OBD, but a secondary jack of sorts
I believe there is. Any complicated central controller module running modern OS (QNX, Linux, BSD, you name it) usually has some console connection on board. Sometimes it is just about soldering a connector on it then you got root. :)

But you probably want someone at ifixit.com to start on it first, and it will void warranty for sure.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I highly doubt volvo dealers could even care about that the interface was used, based on their tech expertise with the software update. I would start there.
1) Find out the jack type, and get a usb to jack type
2) Find out what software dealers access on their machine, find that software
3) Go to town

·
Registered
143 Posts
As a previous poster mentioned, it will come. I can code all sorts on my BMW, I added digital speedometer, enabled the windows to be able to close with the key fob ( factory default only allowed opening), enabled key fob to close and open the side mirrors and all sorts, heck I was even able to code in a nav system as I bought it without one - bought the idrive hardware from ebay for this ( 6 inch vs 8 inch screen).

I don't think you will need to have a specialized port to code the sensus other than the OBD port.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
As a previous poster mentioned, it will come. I can code all sorts on my BMW, I added digital speedometer, enabled the windows to be able to close with the key fob ( factory default only allowed opening), enabled key fob to close and open the side mirrors and all sorts, heck I was even able to code in a nav system as I bought it without one - bought the idrive hardware from ebay for this ( 6 inch vs 8 inch screen).

I don't think you will need to have a specialized port to code the sensus other than the OBD port.
Standalone nav system is actually not hard. In China, there are nav screen and software in online market for the low end GC9 trims from Geely. You just need to buy it and get a car shop to install for you if you don't DIY, and the labor cost is even less than the parts.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Horrible mentality there.

Dealers are dealers is a phrase stealership love to utter. You have to explore and learn about your vehicle. Then only can you find the way to coding
... and not voiding the warranty.

One can get enough tools (which is not expensive) to get the controller module out of this car and poke around. But warranty is the big thing.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I highly doubt volvo dealers could even care about that the interface was used, based on their tech expertise with the software update. I would start there.
1) Find out the jack type, and get a usb to jack type
2) Find out what software dealers access on their machine, find that software
3) Go to town
VIDA DICE is the basic tool through the OBD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuoWgIUvVB8

1 - 20 of 55 Posts