SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, pretty new to this forum, I posted a message about a new 98 V70 T5M a few days ago under my old screen name 'in giro'.

I just bought a 1998 V70 T5M (with an "R" badge that I don't think is factory) with 101k for $10,200.

Was this a fair price? My super-mechanic gave it the third degree inspection, and it appears to be in excellent condition, so no immediate repairs are necessary. I saw the ad for the white '00 S70 T5M at $12k, but it only had 60k miles.

Conversly, craig's list is selling 98 V70's with lower miles for $8,500 and lower. But not manuals, which might be the difference. Plus they could be ****e, who knows.

I'd love to post some images of the car but don't see an attatchment option...

·
Registered
799 Posts
Re: a good deal? (ag)

If it's really an R, that's about what they're going for. If it's 'just' a T5, that's probably on the high side. Remember, the R's are AWD, like the XC's. I bought my '98 V70 XC last year, w/ 99k miles, and didn't pay anywhere near $10,200 for it. It was pretty much loaded, except for the 3rd row seat.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
There are others here with a LOT more experience & knowledge here than me, & hopefully they'll post, but from what little I know...

There were 361 S70T5 manuals imported in '98 (unknown if this included the V70T5 wagons). If so, the rare nature may have driven the price up. A San Diego area dealer had a manual wagon w/ similar miles & aftermarket 17" wheels for about the same price recently, but it had been painted some awful light purple color that was a turn off.

This board is very helpful - if, or should I say, when things start to go wrong, you can get some quick & reliable answers here...Welcome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (Taleof2Bricks2)

we had an overlap there. Thats what I was thinking, that the price may have been higher for that reason. I just recently sold a limited edition 96 855T for 6,000, so I thought "4k more for something twice its potential?" seemed to be worth it.

Anyway very excited to be here. Thanks.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: a good deal? (Mk1Racer)

Quote, originally posted by Mk1Racer »
If it's really an R, that's about what they're going for. If it's 'just' a T5, that's probably on the high side. Remember, the R's are AWD, like the XC's. I bought my '98 V70 XC last year, w/ 99k miles, and didn't pay anywhere near $10,200 for it. It was pretty much loaded, except for the 3rd row seat.
No S70R's in this country, you paid too much.
If you yourself saw that 2000 ad (a MUCH rarer car) TWO years newer and 40K miles less, why in the world didn't you buy that?

That was a MUCH better deal.
(There are two (2) 2000's for sale, both white,
The one in PA is an excellent car, the one in AZ is a story car)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: a good deal? (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

No S70R's in this country, you paid too much.
If you yourself saw that 2000 ad (a MUCH rarer car) TWO years newer and 40K miles less, why in the world didn't you buy that?

That was a MUCH better deal.
(There are two (2) 2000's for sale, both white,
The one in PA is an excellent car, the one in AZ is a story car)

I appreciate the feedback. I was referring to an ad I saw on this forum for the 2000 in AZ. The 'story' car. I saw it after I bought the V70. I am also pretty bent on the wagon.

Is it correct that only 300 or so V70 T5M's were sent over here? And if I paid too much, how much should I have paid?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: a good deal? (in giro)

Quote, originally posted by in giro »

I am also pretty bent on the wagon.

Is it correct that only 300 or so V70 T5M's were sent over here? And if I paid too much, how much should I have paid?
Sorry, didn't register it was a wagon which is worth more than an S70.
Maybe you paid a grand too much (from a private party, about right for a dealer) but you got what you wanted, it checks out OK, so enjoy it and have a good time.
Much rarer than a car anyway and in 2000 there were NO V70 T5's and of course no stick T5's, only sticks in 2000 were base non turbo wagons

(I talked to the dealer in AZ, that car has a rebuilt motor. Something nasty happened to it but he wasn't clear as to what. Needless to say he's buried in it and even at 12,900 he is taking a big loss).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: a good deal? (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

Sorry, didn't register it was a wagon which is worth more than an S70.
Maybe you paid a grand too much (from a private party, about right for a dealer) but you got what you wanted, it checks out OK, so enjoy it and have a good time.
Much rarer than a car anyway and in 2000 there were NO V70 T5's and of course no stick T5's, only sticks in 2000 were base non turbo wagons

(I talked to the dealer in AZ, that car has a rebuilt motor. Something nasty happened to it but he wasn't clear as to what. Needless to say he's buried in it and even at 12,900 he is taking a big loss).

So ,I guess a grand is what I paid extra to not have to hunt for this car. I saw it on the street, it was not for sale, and the owner happened to be arriving towards the car at that moment. I was so glad I stopped her b/c she ended up telling me they were thinking of selling MAYBE, but very regretfully if at all.
Got a call a few months later that if I could buy it that week then it's mine.

So...a grand sounds pretty good now, thinking of the hassle I would have to go thru and the likelihood of finding a car like this seems not great.

Will keep you all posted with pics as I modify, so nice to have a community like this.

·
Registered
188 Posts
For a wagon, I'd say that not too high. However, I paid 4900$ for my S70T5M with 115K miles, and a bad door lock actuator (fixed that for free already from my friends' parts car). THe rest of the car is in great shape perfect interior everything else works perfectly as well. However this car will need a new clutch and throwout bearing as it rattles a bit at idle, and the mechanic said the clutch chatters a bit when releasing (I can't tell because I just learned to drive a manual). So I figure it's gonna need 1200 or so in repairs, but that'll give me a new clutch and take care of the RMS.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Quote, originally posted by in giro »

So...a grand sounds pretty good now, thinking of the hassle I would have to go thru and the likelihood of finding a car like this seems not great.

:
Absolutely! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
450 Posts

FWIW: I bought my T5M two years ago from a dealer for $13.5. It had 72K on the clock, the front suspension had less than 10K on it, and, of course, the BIG 70K service was included.

In the end, though, what price can you put on happiness?

Enjoy your new ride ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.