SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 855R was recently destroyed. Long story short, a 40 ton tanker rear ended it and pushed it into a Toyota. It really ruined my day, that car having been in my family since 1998. At only about 175,000 miles, it was well maintained and should’ve lasted me a really long time...

My insurance company proceeded to settle with me to the tune of about $3000, minus a $500 deductible that may be refunded when all is said and done, and $450 for the salvage. There was simply too much left on the bones to let it go to the salvage yard....

After searching low and high, I posted here and forum member ZZZZZZZ remembered seeing an 850R for sale locally to him that was an exact duplicate of my old car. After a brief exchange with the owner of that car, I sent a cashiers check and a transport company to Germantown, MD.

And yesterday, the car was delivered to me. Total time between the accident and the replacement car arriving was 5 weeks, 6 days.

I’ll chronicle its journey here, as it goes from a cast off to a daily driver.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Looks like a decent starting point.:thumbup:

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
Glad it worked out! Looks like you've got a journey ahead of you, but hey - it's summer soon.
What's up with the s60?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad it worked out! Looks like you've got a journey ahead of you, but hey - it's summer soon.
What's up with the s60?
S60 is a totaled 07 s60 t5m. 1 of 60 in the US. I bought it’s salvage as a drivetrain replacement for my other 850R. I briefly considered trying to repair it, but I’m not a big sedan fan. The repairs exceed its value, even with my ‘free’ labor

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
That's a shame and what I thought it was.
You don't happen to still have the front bumper do you? I'd LOVE to have the washer for the driver's side and the little mystic silver door.
S60 is a totaled 07 s60 t5m. 1 of 60 in the US. I bought it’s salvage as a drivetrain replacement for my other 850R. I briefly considered trying to repair it, but I’m not a big sedan fan. The repairs exceed its value, even with my ‘free’ labor

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a shame and what I thought it was.
You don't happen to still have the front bumper do you? I'd LOVE to have the washer for the driver's side and the little mystic silver door.
Drivers side is where the primary impact was, unfortunately, and all of that got pretty beat up. I have the passenger side somewhere...

·
Registered
494 Posts
Sorry about the accident but super glad to see you back in a 850 again.

Are you thinking about buying your old car back to swap some parts & etc. It appears that you found a nice one.

I am about to start my T-5R journal after being absent from the 850 scene for many years!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry about the accident but super glad to see you back in a 850 again.

Are you thinking about buying your old car back to swap some parts & etc. It appears that you found a nice one.

I am about to start my T-5R journal after being absent from the 850 scene for many years!
I bought it back for $450. Lots of stuff I’ll need for this car and my other 850R, if not now, someday.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Wow, a great condition car to start from. Get yourself a spoiler, the R badge, and some nice wheels and you have a really solid car! Can't wait to see your progress.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, a great condition car to start from. Get yourself a spoiler, the R badge, and some nice wheels and you have a really solid car! Can't wait to see your progress.
I have the Volans off my totaled car, a v70r spoiler with 3rd brake light and a pile of parts that were slated to go on my totaled car a few days after it was totaled.. so I’m ready!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did a little work this weekend, and an initial evaluation today now that I finally have some time.

One of the first things... I need AC. I know it’s got an evap leak, but every 850 does.... so I’ll give it a charge and see how long it lasts!

While the hood was open, I checked charging voltage. Need to figure out whether I need to replace cables, battery, alternator or all of the above.

Next I decided to put a set of Volans on, and give the suspension, steering and brakes a once over

Front brakes are DONE!

Front suspension has a fair amount of surface rust but the ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings are actually pretty tight. Not that any of this will matter, I have all new front suspension from FCP waiting on me.... Koni STR.T and Vogtland Sport springs...

And the passenger CV boot is done.... thankfully I just put new axles on the other car before it was totaled, so more free parts :)

Drivers tie rod end and cv axle boot also torn.

I figure I’ll order 2 new front hubs and install all new front everything. At least it’ll be done for awhile. Depending on budget, maybe I’ll add in some IPD sways too!

One nivo has a torn boot.. getting replaced anyways...

Rear brakes are almost as ugly as the fronts...

The wheels really make the car!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Looks like the typical list of things to address when picking up someone else's "used" car.

At least it will all be mechanically sorted when you get done.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Took one of the front wheels and a replacement Volan over to Tire Barn today to have new tires put on them.

I had ordered 2 new Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 tires for the old car prior to the wreck, as I was just about to put the summer wheels on. The old front tires had worn strangely on that car and I discovered I needed new outer tie rods. I replaced all 4 tie rods and got an alignment a week before the car was totaled. Thankfully the replacement windshield was scheduled for the week *after* the accident, so it didn’t go to waste!

I go with 215 45 17 instead of 205s on these. They are more cost effective and they seem to ride just a smidge better.

I think brakes will be next. Something inexpensive to buy me a little time - I have some ideas that I’m not ready to share yet. These brakes will be an interim step, and I don’t expect them to be on the car more than 6 months.

·
Registered
16,686 Posts
215/45 is the right size. Volvo changed it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Was looking for a cheap set of brakes to buy me a little time and stumbled upon these on a shelf for right about $100 for all 4 rotors and both sets of pads. They will hold me over til I get my slotted/drilled rotors and 302s off my donor car.

And now it’ll stop!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Damn. That was a score.

·
Registered
16,686 Posts
I'd get some blank rotors for your 302 setup. Slotted/drilled gets you less pad area and potentially serious stress concentration problems. The rotors sometimes crack at the holes.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts