SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did some searches but couldn't find precise information (again - keep getting daily photo threads...)

I removed my manual gearshift knob this past weekend to install the iMIV, and, well, kinda broke it... I twisted it so as to "unscrew" it and it turned about 115 degrees at which it became loose and I discovered that I could just pull it upwards. When it came off, a small metal "tab" fell out, which I recovered, and then realized that it came from the top of the shift lever, where it had sheered off... Drats...

So the first question is, how was I supposed to remove the knob WITHOUT breaking the damned thing, as that's apparently what I did? I put the knob back on, but now it "wiggles" - not side to side but rotationally - just a few degrees.

Secondly, I had considered a short-throw shifter for it before I broke it, and now I have additional motivation... There appears to only be two options - the Snabb and the TWM, both of which are ridiculously overpriced, with TWM being the worse offender of the two.

However, neither seem to lower the height of the shifter knob - the Snabb I read dropped it about 1/2 inch. The TWM - at least from their photo - appears to be at stock height.

Does anyone know of any other options for short throw shifters? Ebay turned up nothing.

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
337 Posts
Does anyone know of any other options for short throw shifters? Ebay turned up nothing.

Thanks

Jeff
No other options.

Before you claim the SNABB is overpriced, go price a new shifter stalk from Volvo which includes the small pin you broke (how you managed to do that is beyond me - you must not have removed the shifter using the correct method).

the only other option you have is to replace the factory shifter knob with an aftermarket unit, where you thread the factory stalk and eliminate the need for the pin you broke.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
If you get a twm shift knob and thread it all the way down the lever height is significantly reduced.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(how you managed to do that is beyond me - you must not have removed the shifter using the correct method).
Hence my reason for asking for the correct method...

I tried pushing down and turning - like a medicine bottle. I tried pulling upwards, I tried twisting both directions...

My old Stratus knob was tapered inside with a vinyl insert: as you tightened the knob down, the force required grew significantly, making it require some extra effort to remove. So I started to think that maybe the Volvo knob just needed some extra encouragement...

And just because one part is cheaper than the factory part still doesn't mean it isn't overpriced...

I was looking at the TVM knobs themselves, but even THOSE things are ridiculous - $130 bucks for a plain metal ball?? Check out THIS knob I bought for my Viper in 2008 and tell me how a machined metal ball can cost $50 more...??

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
If you get a twm shift knob and thread it all the way down the lever height is significantly reduced.
I can't see how this would really speed up shifts though - the transmission and shift cables are going to limit you more that the lever travel...

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not looking to speed up shifts - just to get the giant, obtrusive gear shift knob a bit more out of the way. Granted it's not as bad as the factory Viper knob was - it actually blocked the HVAC controls!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
To remove the stock knob you have to push down on the knob and rotate 90 degrees counter clockwise, then pull up on the knob.

With respect to threaded aftermarket weighted knobs, Moddiction makes some very nice ones for much less than TWM in similar styles.

Here is a thread discussing and reviewing one of the Moddiction knobs: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?172535-V70R-first-Mod-Moddiction-Anvil-2-Shift-knob&

If you're interested in an M1 Abram style knob, Moddiction makes them with and without engravings:

Without engraving: http://shop.moddiction.com/Moddiction-Anvil-Stainless-Steel-Shift-Knob-001.htm ($59.99)

With: http://shop.moddiction.com/Moddiction-6-Speed-Engraved-Stainless-Steel-Shift-Knobs-006.htm ($81.99)

I would recommend the SNABB short shifter.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
S&S are those weighted knobs because if so that is a killer price!

My TWM knob ran me at $150 or so shipped, Satin M1 with Engrave(was actually a free upgrade because of their messup so I only paid $120)

However, the weight of the knob really sets up my shifts amazingly well, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
S&S are those weighted knobs because if so that is a killer price!
Yes, the Moddiction knobs are weighted. They are as heavy as the TWM Abrams knob: 460 grams (a little over 1 lb).

I didn't notice it before, but the moddiction site indicates that the plain non-engraved abrams-style knob is out-of-stock.

I switched from a TWM Big Type R knob to a Moddiction Anvil (abrams-style) knob and have been very happy with it. I actually really liked the Big Type R, but my wife drives my VR occasionally and she always complained that the Big Type R was too large.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Yes, the Moddiction knobs are weighted. They are as heavy as the TWM Abrams knob: 460 grams (a little over 1 lb).

I didn't notice it before, but the moddiction site indicates that the plain non-engraved abrams-style knob is out-of-stock.

I switched from a TWM Big Type R knob to a Moddiction Anvil (abrams-style) knob and have been very happy with it. I actually really liked the Big Type R, but my wife drives my VR occasionally and she always complained that the Big Type R was too large.
I originally tried to use the Skunk2 knob which shares the same weight class as the Abrams but for $40 but is the a smaller Type R design. I just didnt want to put the money into making a civic knob fit the small shafter R.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
GRRR!!! I freakin' TRIED that!!!

Alright - well bumer. I'll look at these links tomorrow and see what I can find.

Thanks for the links and info!!
When I broke the internals of my knob as in the pin shearing its way throughout the inner knob I ended up in a pissed off rage which resulted in me ripping off this knob piece by piece....forcing me to buy the TWM M1 Abrams...haha

·
Registered
796 Posts
Really? No one caught that? I've seen far more come from far less source material, i'm disappointed. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Really? No one caught that? I've seen far more come from far less source material, i'm disappointed. :rolleyes:
It's because Ti-R didn't see it. He would mention the knob..

·
Registered
942 Posts
there are only 2 Short Shifter options for M66 R; TWM and SNABB.
I bought a TWM, tried it and found effort to be too high for my DD. It also moved the entire shift pattern backwards, putting me even closer to the armrest during shifting.

I then partnered with SNABB to develop our solution, which I have been using for 2+ years.
It delivers a Shortened shift pattern with minimal effort increase.

I run a TWM Weighted M1 knob, but there are cheaper weighted knobs around...I got mine on eBay for under $100.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts