SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago a bought a wrecked 96 850 with an M56H. I'm using the parts from that car as well as all other new parts (as recommended by others). The car that I'm doing the swap on is a 95 850 Turbo. I've been doing a lot of research over that past few months in preparation and there are still a few questions I haven't found an answer to.

My first question is with regards to the speedometer. It is my understanding that the signal for the speedometer (or how it is obtained) is different going from 95 to 96. The write up on volvohowto states that "a late model which gets its speed from the ABS system, rather than a speed sensor on the gearbox as earlier models did." So I guess my question is, if I will be able to get my speedometer working again given that this transmission came from a 96 and I assume if doesn't have the correct sensor I need for my speedometer. If there is a way to get it working is anyone familiar with the process? Or knows someone who has done it in the past that I could ask?

On a side note, my speedometer has been working very intermittently and the ABS lights has also been coming on which I assume means the computer is bad (unless the transmission speed sensor malfunctioning can cause the ABS light to come on).

Here is another quote below a write-up on volvoforums "If it's a 96, the transmission isn't going to have a speed sensor on the back of it which means you'll need to tap into your ABS for the speedometer."

My second question has to do with sway bar bushings. I would like to install new bushings while I'm doing the swap (because I'm going to drop the subframe and I assume this would be a good time to do it and my current ones look pretty bad) but I can't seem to find the right bushing anywhere. I've read that the stock bushings are volcanized to the bracket that is attached to the subframe so I assume I will need a new bracket too. Does anyone know here I can find these bushings?

·
Registered
707 Posts

·
Registered
15,365 Posts
There are poly sway bar bushings on Amazon.

You should also do Delrin subframe bushings while the subframe is down. Along with engine mounts, steering rack as needed, etc. I would drop the engine and trans out with the subframe and refresh everything out of the car unless the engine has already been fully refreshed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm doing all the engine mounts when the subframe is out and I read about the Delrin bushings but I decided to try the Volvo XC90 (I got the genuine Volvo ones because I know people have had problems with aftermarket bushings) bushing instead cause they were a little bit cheaper (I'm sure the Delrin bushings are nice and I'll probably try them in the future). The engine is still fairly healthy, I need to do the valve stem seals in the near future but it really doesn't use that much oil either (about 153000 miles on it). One day I would like to do an RN swap and everything and really do a deep dive on this car but its my daily and I'm in college so I can really only afford to do one project at a time.

https://www.amazon.com/Volvo-850-Sw...r+bushings&qid=1604765525&s=automotive&sr=1-1

Do people have experience with these bushings?

·
Registered
707 Posts
No experience with those bushings. It just all depends on the quality of the urethane, really.

I've just used standard universal sway bar bushings from Energy Suspension on each of our cars.

The only thing I've run into is without the vulcanization, you need some sort of lateral stop on the sway bar. Aftermarket bars (like IPD) have stops welded on them. Without them, we've had some rattles as the bar translates back and forth during suspension loading, etc. Nothing terrible, just annoying. I've added some inexpensive bar clamps on our set-ups to alleviate that issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking the bushings were just vulcanized to the brackets but they're also vulcanized to the sway bar? If that is the case I see what you mean about needing stops.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I was thinking the bushings were just vulcanized to the brackets but they're also vulcanized to the sway bar? If that is the case I see what you mean about needing stops.
Yes, to the bar, but not the brackets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts