SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two issues with my 04 V70R with 81k miles on it.

First of all this morning, I went to start the car. Starts fine, let it idle for a bit etc. I put it in reverse to back out and I hear a thud and then the car won't move. I give it gas and it creeps just a put but I can feel a major drag on the passenger rear wheel. Give it more gas and it just barely moves back. I finally decided to leave the car for the day and take the BMW so I put it in drive to move back forward and it moves fine. Then reverse again and fine.

I got out to see if the tire had dragged and although it did leave a deep tire mark in the yard where I backed, the treads were deep and visible therefore it did not completely drag. It felt almost as if the parking brake was stuck on the rear passenger wheel.

Does anyone have any ideas? No lights or codes.

My next issue is on the driver front. Whenever I am turning right or sweeping right in a curve, I get this grinding and or clicking noise from the driver front wheel. If I swerve left and then right in the road it makes it but not if I am turning left. If I swerve hard, it is a constant higher pitch grinding noise almost like a heat shield or brake dust shield rubbing. If I swerve easy, it's a higher pitch clicking noise.

I would assume CV axle or wheel bearing but I just had the car checked out and there were no visible issues nor play in the wheel.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Issue 1: Looks like your parking brakes are sticking, which could be normal from storage for a longer period of time. A common problem relating to this issue is the de-lamination of the brake shoes, which can happen suddenly, and causing massive amounts of damage. I would look into inspecting those parking brakes and see if you need a replacement.

Issue 2: Common problem with the brake shield being slightly bent. Sounds like it's randomly touching the rotor at certain turning speeds(ie tie rod pushing the brake shield). Next time your doing a tire change, bend the brake shield back with a pry bar.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
]It felt almost as if the parking brake was stuck on the rear passenger wheel.
You answered your own question. Seriously.

The parking brakes on our cars have a nasty habit of the pads delaminating and coming apart. When that happens, if you're lucky, you can just take the wheel off, take the rotor off and repair the damage. If you're unlucky, it'll cost more and you'll need to tow it to a shop. Every now and then the pads will stick and you can usually rock the car and unstick them, but that doesn't sound like that'll help you now.

I changed the pads and springs on my parking brakes a few weeks ago, it wasn't very difficult. I highly recommend buying the spring package from FCP and not having to worry about saving the existing springs.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great!! Hopefully my issues are as simple as you all stated. I suppose I should just stop using the parking brake anyway since it's an auto. I will inspect the rear parking brake assembly and shoes etc and report back. Thanks so much for the prompt and helpful replies everyone.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yup, definitely your parking brake hanging up. It happens to me a lot, my '04 V70R is a manual and I use the parking brake all the time when its parked in the driveway. When ever is sits for a few days especially after it has rained, I can release the brake and the car wont budge. Most times I have to give the car a little bump in acceleration to break it loose.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
happened to me last year.. Scared the crap out of me.. left a one wheel skid mark in my fathers garage.. Ended up taking off the wheel, calipar, then rotor. As soon as I popped off the rotor I heard a pop sound and the issue was fixed. At some point I too have to replaced those shoes.

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,789 Posts
One of the major causes of the rear parking brakes seizing is the collection of water inside the drum. This happens most often when you wash your car but only if you are directing a lot of water over the hat/rotor/caliper. The solution is to drive your car for a few minutes afterwards before you park it. That dissipates the water that collected inside the drum. This problem does not happen when you have been driving in rain because the water does not have a chance to collect.

Someone with more experience can confirm this but delamination is usually related to the shoes getting wet and drying repeatedly over the course of several years. This wet/dry cycle eventually destroys the shoes and causes the symptom you experienced. Because the parking brake shoes are out of sight and only seen if the rotors are removed the chances of this problem occurring unannounced are increased. Periodic inspection is the only way to avert the problem.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Great!! Hopefully my issues are as simple as you all stated. I suppose I should just stop using the parking brake anyway since it's an auto. I will inspect the rear parking brake assembly and shoes etc and report back. Thanks so much for the prompt and helpful replies everyone.
Just make sure you do the inspection and replacement very soon. It will only get worse, with or without use of the E brake.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Issue 1
+1 on the parking brake either sticking or delaminating. Hopefully it is just sticking from being wet. Did you wash your car just before parking it last time? If delaminated, here is what it would look like with rotor removed. Upper brake shoe in tact. Lower brake shoe delaminated.

View inside rotor. That shoe should not be there! Thankfully, I escaped without serious bodily harm. The brake shoe brkt (steel) corrodes (rusts), weaking the fusion (adhesive) of the brake material to the bracket.

In pic, upper shoe is delaminated. Lower shoe is OK.

Replacing the shoes is pretty easy. 5 bolts to remove wheel. 2 bolts to remove caliper. Dead blow hammer or 2x4 to remove rotor. Needle nose pliers to remove the 4 springs holding the parking brake shoes in place. The springs can be a bit tricky. It's a good time to replace the springs also; they are inexpensive.

Issue 2
+1 on the brake splash shield slightly bent. It is easy to bend away from the rotor with the wheel removed. It can be done either by hand or with pry bar.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did indeed, I washed it and it sat overnight.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
^ Sigh of relief for you.

As for the delaminting brakes, with 81k miles on your car and 8 years old, it is a good time to inspect the parking brake shoes. If one delaminates while driving and binds up inside the rotor, the consequences can be catostrophic! My local stealership told me a story of a customer who had such an issue, drove on it for a little while, and the rear end grenaded. $3000+ repair included rotor, bearing, suspension links, caliper, labor, etc.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Luckily I do my own work but definitely noted. I have the BMW too so I will just park the volvo until I can inspect it.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Why not just uninstall your parking brake? I never use mine lol but of course I'm GT not MT.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went to go shuffle the cars around this morning and the abs light was on. Obd screen says anti skid/abs service required. Any usual suspects to look for first?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts