SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are trying to decide between T8 and T6 Inscription... lots of pros and cons for us.

Could someone help us with some basic questions or maybe point to a review that talks about these questions:
- It seems hybrid mode is the most common... anyone know what real world MPG would be? We're new to hybrids/plug-ins and not sure if 59MPGe means we could really expect 59MPG. Assume a mix of highway/city and casual non-aggressive (normal) driving.

- In Pure mode, can the T8 really run all electric? Taking the kids to school and grocery store daily is about 10 miles round trip. Pure mode sounds perfect for this use case but will the car be super slow? I read a review that said the engine still kicks on at 20-30mph. Theoretically, we could drive 10-15 miles per day for weeks and therefore not use any gas.

The appeal to us in buying a plug-in vs hybrid is the ability to actually run on all-electric. It sounds like in Pure mode, only the rear electric motor is used which only has 82 Horsepower. It is scary imagining such a heavy vehicle with only 82 HP.

So realistically, we may end up just leaving it in "Hybrid" mode. If that is the case, it would be nice to know what sort of MPG to expect. We have a 2013 XC90 and get about 21MPG. It would be incredible to get anything over 50.

If the T8 only gets ~40MPG in hybrid and is not practical in "Pure" mode, we would opt for the regular T6.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
We are trying to decide between T8 and T6 Inscription... lots of pros and cons for us.

Could someone help us with some basic questions or maybe point to a review that talks about these questions:
- It seems hybrid mode is the most common... anyone know what real world MPG would be? We're new to hybrids/plug-ins and not sure if 59MPGe means we could really expect 59MPG. Assume a mix of highway/city and casual non-aggressive (normal) driving.
MPGe is miles per gallon equivalent (hybrid and pure). The T8 will not get 59 MPG.

http://www.hybridcars.com/what-is-mpge/

- In Pure mode, can the T8 really run all electric?
Yes

Taking the kids to school and grocery store daily is about 10 miles round trip. Pure mode sounds perfect for this use case but will the car be super slow? I read a review that said the engine still kicks on at 20-30mph. Theoretically, we could drive 10-15 miles per day for weeks and therefore not use any gas.
Correct (although you could drive over 30 mph and the gas engine could still be inactive.

·
Registered
260 Posts
With electric motors, do NOT look at the HP, instead look at the Torque. It's plenty of torque, though firing both engines will be faster :).

·
Registered
674 Posts
Does anyone know what the 0-60 time is when the vehicle is in pure mode?

·
Registered
535 Posts
If the T8 only gets ~40MPG in hybrid and is not practical in "Pure" mode, we would opt for the regular T6.
Now we have here the first T8's on the market, we know that 55 MPH is realistic when driving in Hybrid-mode. That's under normal driving conditions, so not extreme trying to get the last drop.
Please note it's 500% drivers dependent. If you floor the pedal at every crossing, beating BMW's or so, we also no already the T8 will get 14 MPH figures :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
The T8 in Pure mode is fine for everyday driving up to 50 mph.
Not only will you benefit from lower fuel consumption, but also these short drives are not good for a combustion engine.
I hope my electric motor will give me less maintenance.
So Pure mode performs much better than I could have hoped for. (the T8 being much heavier than my V60 Plug-In Hybrid)
What was a bit of a disappointment is Power mode. In short, it is not sporty at all.
With normal use of the throttle Power mode doesn't feel that much different from AWD mode.
To get a fast acceleration you really have to put your foot down hard
the acceleration will be fast than, but still very civilized, for me there is little WOW factor.
Also there is not much engine noise, it is an OK sound but faint. I had hoped there would be more difference when you switch to Power mode.

For a reference, with my V60 Plug-In Hybrid there is much more difference when you switch to Power mode, the car will become really nervous on the throttle.
In the V60 I don't like Power mode for everyday driving in busy traffic, for me it is to restless.
The unfavorable weight distribution of the V60 prevents it from being a true sporty car. But in a straight line it is, it really feels like a 300 hp car.
The XC90 T8 doesn't feel like a 400 hp car, it is always civilized. (the tacho really goes up easy and fast tough)
So I'm waiting for my Polestar upgrade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts