SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm having a problem with my car. The A/C quits on me when the temps are really hot outside and I'm driving in stop and go traffic. I've had the car freon checked and refilled twice this year, to no avail. They've changed both the sensors on the a/c that tell it when to turn and turn off. I checked the air gap on the compressor with a feeler gauge and it's at about .667 mm. I'm so sick and tired of this car nickel and diming me, and I've just got a car that is no closer to the problem than when it was 3 months ago. And for the record, the a/c has never been all that great.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sounds like the compressor clutch is on it's way out. My 01 V70 T5M exhibited the same symptoms. New compressor took care of the issue.

Landru
2001 V70 T5M 282,000 miles

·
Registered
339 Posts
start by cleaning yourself, the cabin temp sensor and the evaporator temp sensor. Sometimes these simple procedure fixes the AC problem.

The evaporator temp sensor could have failed, causing freezing of the evaporator, but you need vida/dice for the correct diagnosis.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Compressor clutch is electro magnetic and gets weak with age. Some times you can shim it a bit to reduce the space that the has to be closed by the electro magnet and it will continue working for a long time

·
Registered
578 Posts
That air gap sounds a little out of spec to me. I had roughly the same gap and was having the same symptoms as you. I used 3 zip ties as shown below (pulled this pic from volvospeed). I used a spring clamp to engage the clutch allowing me to insert the zip ties. Not the correct way to fix the issue but it works and it's free.

The air gap should be .35-.50 mm.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do I have to take off the clutch? I looks like I can do it without having to remove anything. I'm probably going to attempt this tonight.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Google "Volvo AC bread bag clip fix", same idea as the zip ties, although the zip tie idea may be better due to the fact that the bag clips can eventually come unglued and fly out after some time. I've had the bag clips last a couple of years before I had to replace them. You've got to watch the thickness of what you put in there, if it's too thick it can be a problem.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
start by cleaning yourself, the cabin temp sensor and the evaporator temp sensor. Sometimes these simple procedure fixes the AC problem.

The evaporator temp sensor could have failed, causing freezing of the evaporator, but you need vida/dice for the correct diagnosis.
does the evap temp sensor also keep the climate control from functioning properly? I keep it set on 72 and it freezes me out on anything more than a 5-10 minute drive.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I shimmed the clutch with some zip ties and it worked! Thanks everyone! No more trips to the clueless mechanic. Or maybe I'm the clueless one.

·
Registered
339 Posts
does the evap temp sensor also keep the climate control from functioning properly? I keep it set on 72 and it freezes me out on anything more than a 5-10 minute drive.
Yes, a dirty or defective evaporator temp sensor will cause the evaporator to freeze after a few minutes of cooling.

Try cleaning it first, if that doesn't work, then replace it is not that expensive.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Yes, a dirty or defective evaporator temp sensor will cause the evaporator to freeze after a few minutes of cooling.

Try cleaning it first, if that doesn't work, then replace it is not that expensive.
i pulled it out and it appeared to be very clean? it had what looked like some pretty bright blue colored stuff on it... didnt see any dust/dirt... looked like iaqs filter has been doing its job. Also took the vacuum cleaner to the cabin air sensor.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
where is the evap sensor?
driver side foot well. you will see the heater core and the sensor sticks out the side of the white plastic duct box. Mine had a green wire connector on it.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
i did the ziptie fix today, not sure if its colder (its cold enough) but it engages a lot quieter now

thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts