SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 2008 XC70 3.2l with 323k kms

I've recently had some trouble with my A/C system in really hot weather, esp on long drives/highway.

Symptom #1 - The A/C vents will blow what appears to be steam! The vapour has no odour and feels slightly moist. I haven't passed out or anything so I guess it's not dangerous haha.

Symptom #2 - The A/C will get 'warm' and a bit smelly (like, musty) and if I turn the A/C off for a bit (1 minute or so?) and then turn it back on it's fine for a while.

I saw a Scotty Kilmer video (which I can't find now) where he discussed this 'vapour from the vents' issue in general (as-in, not specific to Volvo but not specific to any car) where he said what's happening is the A/C evaporator in the HVAC core is icing up, and that this happens because there is a temp sensor on/near the evaporator which is failing.

I have found this sensor which looks like it might be the very thing he's talking about in my car:
https://parts.volvocars.ca/p/Volvo__/Temperature-sensor/42816438/30767019.html

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing in these cars?
Any way to test my hypothesis?
Any chance I've got the right part here?
Information on how to access/change this sensor?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Does it happen with High relative humidity outside? I mean temperature and dewpoint close to eachother?

(Powered by 5 mad Vikings...)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Sounds like your refrigerant level is low ie you have a leak. Hook some gauges up and see what kind of high and low pressure you get.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like your refrigerant level is low ie you have a leak. Hook some gauges up and see what kind of high and low pressure you get.

Funny I never thought to have the pressures tested but yeah that does seem like the first step.

I will see what turns up here and report back.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another thing I just thought of - I /do/ have a code for the Interior Air Quality sensor. I just put off changing it because it's pretty expensive and I never had any functionality issues. I don't think the IAQ sensor is to blame here, as it's been working fine with this same code for a couple of years, and I think the IAQ is only helping to determine when the recirculation flap is engaged...

Anyway, I wanted to throw that in there

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Switch the RECIRC POSITION on... so vents closed from the outside. Still same issue?

-What about turning the temp up... it goes away then?

Ps: ATLANTIC CANADA; now 90% humidity I checked. I fly for an airline and everytime we land in hot humid conditions the airco starts to blow “steam” you cant smell...

(Powered by 5 mad Vikings...)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Another thing I just thought of - I /do/ have a code for the Interior Air Quality sensor. I just put off changing it because it's pretty expensive and I never had any functionality issues. I don't think the IAQ sensor is to blame here, as it's been working fine with this same code for a couple of years, and I think the IAQ is only helping to determine when the recirculation flap is engaged...

Anyway, I wanted to throw that in there
I would venture a guess that the majority of us have that darned air quality message in VIDA. I’m quite sure that this is not a contributing factor to your issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts