SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've searched this forum for A/C issues similar to mine with no luck (maybe it's out there but I can't find). Hopefully you guys can help me out...

It takes about 15-20 minutes for my A/C to start blowing cold. Also, the fan/blower (?) seems to be working harder than it's supposed to (really loud). Yesterday, I added freon thinking that would help and now it doesnt blow cold at all. When I connected the can to the low pressure port and turned the A/C on the recharge gauge read over 100 psi. I added the can anyway... maybe I shouldn't have? It seems to me that it's not the software update because my symptoms are different than others that required it. The compressor clutch seems to be working correctly, but I'm am far from an expert. Any ideas as to what might be going on?

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
What year/model is your car?

If it's a P1, the common AC issue is due to the compressor clutch gap getting to large. Easy to fix. But that's generally an intermittent AC that WORKS for the first 15-20 minutes.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Knowing the vehicle specifics (model, year, engine, etc. and mileage) would be helpful.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I too have a problem with my AC in my s40.

So it wasn't very cold, it was cold, but not REALLY cold.. .and the mechanics told me that the condenser had leaks in it due to rocks hitting it, and then I saw it under a UV light, and it was indeed leaking, albeit quarter size leaks everywhere. so I replaced the condenser for $460

Now, when the AC is on, its cold, but I hear clicks somewhere behind the glove box, and I have had the compressor clutch replaced just last year with a genuine Volvo part.

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
I too have a problem with my AC in my s40.

So it wasn't very cold, it was cold, but not REALLY cold.. .and the mechanics told me that the condenser had leaks in it due to rocks hitting it, and then I saw it under a UV light, and it was indeed leaking, albeit quarter size leaks everywhere. so I replaced the condenser for $460

Now, when the AC is on, its cold, but I hear clicks somewhere behind the glove box, and I have had the compressor clutch replaced just last year with a genuine Volvo part.
The compressor engages and disengages quite frequently, this avoids overheating. That's probably what you're hearing.

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
@Mynameideasweretaken
How often are ACs supposed to cycle? Sometimes it does it every 3 seconds, sometimes its 10 seconds. :/
That's what mine does, and it blows strong and cold. I think cycle time depends on how cold you've set it... At least that's what it appears from my experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts