SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a leak in my condenser. Symptoms detailed here: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?602175-A-C-Problems-icing

I had it checked at a local repair place and he used his fancy UV glasses to find a leak in the condenser which appears to be somewhat common. It looks like the condenser in this car (2008 XC70 3.2l) has a tank on the side with the receiver/drier built right in. The tank is plugged at the bottom with a nylon (?) plug. This plug appears to be leaking, though the plug itself appears to be intact - the seal has failed.

I want to replace this but want to make sure when I buy a condenser that the receiver/drier pack will be pre-installed. I will maybe reach out to FCP later today to see if they can provide advice on this, but does anyone here know anything about this?

Apart from this question of "do I need to buy the receiver/drier pack as well as a condenser" the rest of the operation appears straightforward. The VIDA instructions indicate I need to open the cooling system up - does anyone know if I can get away with dropping the condenser out from the bottom /without/ having to open the cooling system up, which I'd rather not do.

Thanks!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Before you replace the entire condenser, is it only the plug that is leaking? If that is the case, there is no reason to replace the entire condenser. The plug and desiccant bag can both be replaced individually. The part number for the plug should be 30776239, and the desiccant bag 30776238. If you buy a new condenser, it should have those parts installed. The Volvo parts diagram shows that it is all included. When it comes to aftermarket parts, it may be a different story. But I would think they would include both those parts as well. In terms of the cooling system, I don't think there is any way around it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks that's good advice. I considered doing a new drier bag and plug but the VADIS directions aren't very clear about how to remove/reinstall the plug...

I went with a Behr condenser from FCP. Hopefully it works out.

I will let you know how I make out trying to get around undoing the cooling system haha. Maybe there is not way around it but I will give it a go.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the Behr condenser from FCPEuro
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-a-c-condenser-30794544

It didn't fit super well (the pipes and flange on the side didn't fit into the small space available properly because they were bent at the wrong angle). I did manage to bend them into a shape that let me put the condenser in but I did NOT like bending up those flimsy aluminum pipes on my brand new condenser...

It's all charged up and seems to be working great.

I didn't have to undo the cooling system after all - I first pulled the rad fan/shroud up from behind the radiator (to make space and also reduce the weight of the radiator cluster). Then unbolted the top 'stays' (both bolts broke) and then the lower support brace/frame thing (only 1 of those 4 bolts broke). Then I wrangled the power steering cooler out of the way and then was able to unclip and unmount the condenser from the radiator and pull out the bottom.

Again, fitting the new one back in was harder than it should have been because the pipes/flange weren't shaped right.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've taken two summer road trips in the car now and everything seems to be holding together nicely. A/C is good and cold and no more ice-ups/whatever.

If I have anything else to report about this I'll try to remember to link back to this thread or something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts