SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last week I have noticed an occasional harmonic squeal when the clutch engages on the compressor. It sounds like a failing bearing and only lasts 2-3 seconds at most. My indy says the compressor is likely on its way out. It doesn't happen consistently and is very short in duration. How difficult is it to replace the compressor? If it is a bearing, how difficult would it be to rebuild the compressor? Or is something else likely the culprit?

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
Most likely the bearing in the compressor clutch assembly, as opposed to the compressor itself.
Could also be the serpentine tensioner. When the compressor clutch engages, it causes this tensioner to kick a little, and if it is failing, that could also be the momentary chirp you hear.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
One way to possibly tell it's the compressor is to have a manifold gauge set hooked up to it while it is cycling (and presumably, making the squeak) . If the compressor spikes, or does some weirdness with the pressures, then that is a potential sign of a bad compressor.

I would still check out everything Roger says first. He's spot on in his assessment. It may just be the clutch slipping (which is a replacement of the compressor clutch assy, not necessary to open the ac system up) or the tensioner. Those should be easy enough to diagnose. If the clutch is disengaged, and you can turn the compressor by hand, (the front edge of the clutch assy is tied to the compressor proper, the belt is on the clutch side) you may be able to feel the drag of a bad bearing internally in the compressor (but you have to really know what you are doing to catch that, most of the time)

And remember, you don't want to crack into the ac gas unless you just have to... if you replace the compressor itself, you are looking at a receiver/drier expansion valve etc as well to keep warranty on the new one (and keep crap that could be floating in the system down) as well as an ac system flush to push all the goo out...

That may not be a good explanation, but a good AC service shop should be able to sort it out in fairly short order.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts