SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2012 S80 air conditioning compressor is getting noisy at times. Only 55,000 miles on car. Is it normal for the compressor to start to fail so early? What is expectation for remedy. Thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
When they hook up your ac system to the machine, it not only injects coolant, but oil as well. I had a similar issue and ended up replacing my compressor but I think you should try to get it refilled/topped up first. Don’t use those diy cans as they don’t have the oil in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
859 Posts
When they hook up your ac system to the machine, it not only injects coolant, but oil as well. I had a similar issue and ended up replacing my compressor but I think you should try to get it refilled/topped up first. Don’t use those diy cans as they don’t have the oil in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not true that coolant always has oil included when recharged.
You can add too much oil to the system. :nono:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I agree. When AC is on ventilator is spinning and engine temp is about 88-92 in normal weather and traffic. But with AC off engine temp reaches 98-100 and only then ventilator turns on.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
I agree. When AC is on ventilator is spinning and engine temp is about 88-92 in normal weather and traffic. But with AC off engine temp reaches 98-100 and only then ventilator turns on.
So better for the car temp -but it keeps the AC lubricated as well I was told. Much longer life span when always ON.

(Powered by 5 mad Vikings...)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
You were told wrong. If the compressor runs it wears out just like an engine. The radiator fans run constantly too when AC is on so you are putting more wear on them too. That`s the reason the engine runs cooler at idle. At speed it will be the same. 100 is well within limits, cooler running isn`t always better for an engine

·
Registered
221 Posts
When AC is off only it's bearing with belt is spinning but AC clutch is off and AC is not working at all.
But personally I keep it ON all the time. It helps to defog windows faster and it's not working if outside temp is really cold :)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
When AC is off only it's bearing with belt is spinning but AC clutch is off and AC is not working at all.
But personally I keep it ON all the time. It helps to defog windows faster and it's not working if outside temp is really cold :)
When you turn defrost on it engages the AC pump automatically to do what you are doing manually

·
Registered
236 Posts
They also claim to always drive with the AC on. You all agree?

(Powered by 5 mad Vikings...)
Yes. I interpret "AC" as "automatic climate"... when the weather gets cold you get heat. I see that even in low early morning temps in Michigan the last few days... if temp is in the 50s/60s and the AC is set for 70 or 72 the heat comes on to boost the interior temp.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My 2012 has always made some weird noises at startup but works perfectly. The dealer replaced it under CPO warranty at a service without me mentioning anything. The replacement is also starting to make weird noises at startup but works perfectly.

I've heard of compressor noise pop up in this forum once in a while. Not gonna worry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts