SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the A C compressor clutch can be replaced or does the whole thing need to be replaced? I pulled the serp belt off the engine to identify a faint groaning noise. I spun all the accessories and the A/C pully is crunchy. Everything else was good. The compressor itself feels OK. Its only the pully.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The price and effort to replace the bearing will be little less than replacing the compressor. The system will have to be drained in order to remove compressor as there is no room to do the work with the compressor on the car or even with bolts removed and compressor moved for access.
The compressor has a finite life and usually the pulley bearing outlives the compressor. I would expect the compressor to not have a much longer lifespan after changing the bearing only and new compressors come complete with clutch.
If compressor fail then the condenser has to be changed as later cars have parallel flow condensers with small passages and the debris from compressor failing will scatter in the condenser and can't be blown or flushed out. Doing compressor change before that has the chance to happen is a good idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts