SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people have done this and have any of you guys used quality after market like valet or have you just replaced the bearing? Any other options, please advise.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
If it were me I'd go with a rebuilt unit or new depending on the costs. If its just the bearing then just changing it is an option too. What makes you think its going?

·
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it were me I'd go with a rebuilt unit or new depending on the costs. If its just the bearing then just changing it is an option too. What makes you think its going?
Awful whine now like a supercharger.

·
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mechanic said it was A/c, but who knows for sure.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Easy way to test on your own is to get a stick that you put up to your ear hole while the other end is either on the alternator or A/C compressor. If the bearings are bad in one or the other you should be able to tell by the sound.

·
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will give it a shot an report back!

·
Banned
1,280 Posts
Hey Guys,

Stealthy S60R is on the money as I would go about diagnosing this the same way. Once you figure out which bearing is faulty, if you wanted to email me your VIN to [email protected], I'd be more then happy to make sure you get setup with the correct part numbers for you R.

·
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Guys,

Stealthy S60R is on the money as I would go about diagnosing this the same way. Once you figure out which bearing is faulty, if you wanted to email me your VIN to [email protected], I'd be more then happy to make sure you get setup with the correct part numbers for you R.
I'm actually on your site right now, looking at either the bosch 160 amp or the valet ac compressor.

·
Banned
1,280 Posts
I'm showing 2 part numbers based on the chassis number (Last 6 digits of VIN).

Up to Chassis 093488 is p/n 8602621
From Chassis number 093489- and up is p/n 36001066.

I believe you'll need p/n 36001066 however you might just want to double check.

You can find the compressors here: https://www.fcpeuro.com/Volvo-parts/S60/Compressor?year=2006&e=2105&m=182&page=1

In regards to the alternator, the amperage is stamped on the unit itself however if you email me your VIN I can most likely pull the amperage needed up for you.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Easy way to test on your own is to get a stick that you put up to your ear hole while the other end is either on the alternator or A/C compressor. If the bearings are bad in one or the other you should be able to tell by the sound.
That's what I do, except I have a clean tranny fluid funnel with a flexible tube. The funnel is small but covers my entire ear.

·
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, did the test and surprise it was the alternator.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Is this sound all the time or just on startup? I've got a metallic "jingling" as the caR comes down from its initial high idle. I've tried to get video of it, but every time I do then it doesn't make the noise. It sounds very metallic, but only happens at startup and then goes away. I've tried to reproduce it after the high idle and can only barely get it to make noise. Does this sound similar to your problem at all? Does anyone know if this is the same issue?

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
So, did the test and surprise it was the alternator.
I'm not surprised, when it sounds like a supercharger its usually the alternator. A/C bearings are more a low grumble due to the lower RPMs.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ordered a 140 amp, was going to go with a 160 but they said they don't get them anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts