SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a whining noise coming from the accessory area of my car, and have narrowed it down to the A/C compressor clutch / pulley. Here is a video of the noise when the pulley spins freely: New video by Stuart L - It sounds like a metallic grinding when spinning it by hand, but more of a whine you'd expect from a failing alternator when the engine is idling / revving.

I found this thread where someone replaced just the A/C compressor clutch bearing (Front End Whining - Pulley or AC Bearing), but I'm not sure I have the aptitude to do that.

A few questions:

- Is that the only real solution aside from replacing the entire A/C compressor?

- If I do end up replacing the entire A/C compressor, would you suggest I also replace the accumulator?

- The tensioner for the A/C compressor jumps up and down a bit when the car is idling. Is that a sign of a failing tensioner, or could it be a symptom of the bad A/C clutch bearing?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
78 Posts
It looks like Volvo offers a clutch kit - 31267041 - which is very expensive. I've found some aftermarket alternatives such as this one (NEW AC COMPRESSOR CLUTCH ASSEMBLY VOLVO C30, C70, S40, V50, XC70 2004-2011 | eBay) - any suggestions on source/brand? I think this is ideal vs replacing the whole compressor which would require discharge, flush, recharge.
Hello,

I used one of the $50 clutches off ebay, and it worked okay for a while, but It is failing already with only about 20k miles on it. I'd try to find a bit better unit, but idk that I'd fork out the money for the volvo replacement when a reputable replacement compressor is less money than just the clutch. Hope this info helps you make a decision.

·
Registered
992 Posts
The part number you listed does not look like your existing clutch. A 30733821 does. Simple to replace if you have a tool to get the inner pulley off, snap ring pliers and a puller to get the large pulley off. The electromagnet coil is held on with a few Philips screws - tightened very tight - and easy to strip. I always use an impact driver to get them loose. If you purchase an aftermarket clutch - the electromagnet coil will probably be different than the OEM part. Meaning if you buy a factory part you can reuse the original coil (those coil retaining screws are really hard to get off sometimes) if you can't get the screws loose.

White Organism Font Parallel Diagram

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@hoonk - Thank you for providing the correct part number and the helpful tips.

@V50unicorn - Good to know. I'll try and find the highest quality clutch replacement kit I can find without springing for the Volvo kit. I'd prefer not to replace the entire compressor which will save the cost of having a shop evacuate and refill the system with refrigerant.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Or, I might source a good used compressor and transfer all clutch/pulley related parts over.
My 2 cents from past A/C experiences- It is so much easier to work with the compressor on a bench, and a lot less frustrating. So you might want to take it to an A/C shop to suck out the old R32 then after the work take it back to recharge.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 2 cents from past A/C experiences- It is so much easier to work with the compressor on a bench, and a lot less frustrating. So you might want to take it to an A/C shop to suck out the old R32 then after the work take it back to recharge.
Thanks - I think if I went that route I would just throw in a new compressor.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have sourced a cheap used compressor - it sounds like the compressor is seized, but the pulley wheel spins nicely. I think that will be the ideal solution.
You'll probably have to install a new evaporator/accumulator. Which are not too expensive.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks - the compressor itself will not be swapped, just the pulley wheel and potentially clutch.

Question: Is it acceptable to mix and match the electromagnet, pulley, and clutch? I will definitely have to swap out the pulley, but if the existing clutch is in better shape I may be inclined to re-use it. And, I'd prefer not to swap out the electromagnet if I don't have to.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks - the compressor itself will not be swapped, just the pulley wheel and potentially clutch.

Question: Is it acceptable to mix and match the electromagnet, pulley, and clutch? I will definitely have to swap out the pulley, but if the existing clutch is in better shape I may be inclined to re-use it. And, I'd prefer not to swap out the electromagnet if I don't have to.
I can't see why that would be an issue. Let me know how your solution works out! I may go this route with a picknpull unit.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My existing A/C compressor / clutch has a gap that's too large (over 0.6mm). When I turn on the A/C, it doesn't engage (as is expected with too large of a gap), however if I give it a good tap with a mallet to reduce the gap to help it engage, it won't budge whatsoever and still doesn't engage. The clutch / compressor spins freely and independently of the pulley when the car is off. I assume the portion of the clutch assembly that allows it to slide in and out is seized, so hopefully the replacement will remedy that issue. I probably shouldn't have gone so long without replacing the broken splash tray.

·
Registered
992 Posts
it won't budge whatsoever and still doesn't engage.
When you say " the clutch/compressor spins freely - I trust you are spinning this part pictured below (that actually spins the compressor) . The "portion of the clutch that allows it to slide" is (on the pictured style clutch) is the 3 metal straps that bend to close the gap under the influence of the magnetic field produced by the coil.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bicycle part Automotive tire Rim

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the tip. Yes, that's the part that I was referring to. Perhaps pressing one portion of the clutch (outer disk in your image) was not sufficient to enagage it, and the entire ring needs to contact evenly.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I received the used compressor, pulled off the clutch, then pulled off the pulley. In the process my puller mangled the pulley a bit - damn. For those doing this at home, pull from the middle ridge of the pulley - the metal is a lot stronger there.

Anywho - I can try and file down the damaged parts, but that seems risky. I think I will just replace the bearing on my existing pulley. I can spring for the $45 OEM Nachi 35BG05S16G-2DL (35mm ID, 55mm OD, 20mm wide), or I could try to re-use the one in my "new used" pulley which "seems okay".

QUESTION: If I press out the bearing from the inner race (the only way it can come out), will that destroy it?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I have just replaced the bearing. If I remember the bearing was staked but was not a problem. I have also bought low mileage used compressors for 30$US and just swapped the clutch out for years of no issues. Just some ideas. All Volvo. Glück.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks @J5T - can you please clarify what you mean by "the bearing was staked"?

I do need to remove some spacers to re-gap the clutch, but the reason I'm doing this job is because of the squealing pulley bearing.

Unfortunately used compressors are not that cheap here - it was over $100 for a broken one!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts