SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the A/C in our ’95 850 was blowing warm air occasionally, so I took it in the have the system charged. The guys at Car-X (the only place in town that works on R12 systems, nearest Volvo dealer is 50 miles) put it up on the lift to try to find the second valve. Once up, they pointed out that the accumulator looked like it was leaking (as evidenced by “green” fluid). Now granted, the bottom of the accumulator was wet and the paint was pealing-off, but wouldn’t it normally look this way? I’m sure that it would if the accumulator were on the “cool” side of the system. Does anyone know if it is?<P>Anyway, the quote for parts and labor is nearly $700. The A/C works fine 90% of the time and hasn’t gotten worse in the past 6 weeks. Given the fact that the performance has not deteriorated, I’m wondering if the accumulator really has a leak, or if at 115K miles and 6 years the A/C is simply due for it’s first “recharge”. Any advice would be great. Thanks.<BR>

·
Registered
217 Posts
First, your car will have r134a not r12 in the syetem. The most common problem with the 850's is the evap, some rec dryers have gone if it is all corroded and you see the green tracer dye that has been put in which when a black light is used to check the system the problem glows, that is the leak, but leaks do not come and go , if there is a leak at any spot it will leak until the compressor cycles due to the lack of refrig and then will not even do that when it is empty. The evap kit has the new evap/rec dryer/ and a polen filter kit which we all should have, it alone extends the life of the evap. The term recharge is not a valid one, if you need more r134a you have a leak. Go to a dealer it will save you money in the end as opposed to changing all your components one at a time to find the leak.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts