SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems so long ago now, but 2001 vividly sticks out because it was such a transformative time. The global significance of the year is known to all, but to Volvo enthusiasts it was also a new era. 850 and X70 models were rapidly moving into the hands of younger enthusiasts, while the dynamic first-generation S60 promised a new post-brick future for the brand. This is what drove us as we set to launch Swedespeed.

Both the Volvo brand and Volvo enthusiasts have seen a significant transition since that time. The Ford era ended, while the scene of enthusiasts exploded, the P2 R cars launched, then came the most recent modern generation. My time on this site shifted over the years, first handing over managerial duties to Stu Fowle, then Chris Stewart took the helm a few years back.

Now, the new XC90 is out, ushering in yet a third coming of Volvo. At the same time, the internet continues to be an ever evolving landscape where things like smartphone integration, apps, and changing platforms left us both optimistic of the future and also aware that long-term survival and growth of Swedespeed would require an even more dominant hand. So, when we were approached months ago by the large enthusiast media company VerticalScope, we saw an opportunity to hand off Swedespeed to a company much more ambitious and better prepared to take this Volvo enthusiast site into a new era.

Look over VerticalScope’s vast portfolio of enthusiast sites and we suspect you’ll find several you’ve frequented in your online experience. We know several site owners who’ve joined up with their team and have seen that they have been positive stewards of key enthusiast communities and outlets. In as much, we’re incredibly excited by the potential offered by such a move.

So, what will change for Swedespeed readers? From the viewpoint of the reader, the important key factors that make Swedespeed what it is will not change. Chris Stewart will remain as lead blogger and admin in the forums, plus our moderator team isn’t changing other than adding in a very experienced support team from VerticalScope.

What will become of me? I’m off to focus more on parenting and maybe take on some new projects. I suspect any project may likely involve the automotive industry and specifically the enthusiast space, but whatever that is hasn’t yet been determined.

In the meantime, I’d like to thank the Volvo community for letting me be a part of it for so many years. I’d like to thank Volvo for being so supportive, and the Volvo Club of America for letting me sit on their board for a time. It’s been an unforgettable and highly educational run, and I am all the better for it.

·
Administrator
436 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself to you all. My name is Philip, I am a community manager for VerticalScope, I am part of a small team that will be on swedespeed.com covering the webmaster duties for George.

We are here to help primarily with the technical end of things and help make the jobs of the current Mods/Admins easier. I posted a real basic run down to answer common questions below. If you have more questions or concerns please feel free to post them in response.

What are our intentions?

We bring reliability, support and the infrastructure needed to ensure that the community will continue to be around for years to come. It’s our goal to work with the mod/admin team to help provide the resources and required work to give this community a broader reach, to attract new members, and to better the overall knowledge shared in the community.

Will leadership change?

Continuity is the focus here, YOU as the membership work very hard to keep building this community while your mod/admin team keep the walls and the roof up in this place; we are primarily here to make sure the lights stay on. Every community is unique and should always be respected in that regard. You all have established your own unique rules and regulations and a strong reputation that is carried by all of this. For us it’s paramount to maintain this level of integrity and enthusiasm.

What are we here for?

Our primary role is to be the technical contact as I said earlier. You all contributed to building the strong foundation swedespeed.com was built on. Moving forward we will all work together to keep the momentum and the community growing. We will be on the forum checking in daily to make sure regular maintenance is taken care of and keeping things running smoothly from behind the scenes. We will also be setting up a help desk on the site for when you have questions or issues with the site or your account and need assistance.

I do look forward to getting to know you all and this unique community better.

-Philip

·
Registered
526 Posts
wow! sounds like great news for swedespeed.

Good luck George. I am a stay at home parent for the most part and it is a tons of fun, and definitely ALOT more work than working in the real world, especially with a special needs child.

Thank you for all you have done for this site!

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Does this mean SwedeSpeed was sold by itself from the Vortex Media Group or was the entirety of Vortex sold to VerticalScope?

edit: nevermind. I see the answer in the headline.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does this mean SwedeSpeed was sold by itself from the Vortex Media Group or was the entirety of Vortex sold to VerticalScope?

edit: nevermind. I see the answer in the headline.
You figured it out, but yes. Specifically this means Swedespeed, VWvortex, Fourtitude and KilometerMagazine. There were some other URLS, but the active sites (basically all of Vortex Media Group)went with the move.

·
Registered
17,406 Posts
Being a Volvo lover since the early 70s, I'm all in. Appreciate your willingness to offer a community which so many have an active part of. Thanks for letting us know, and for keeping this rolling. Looking forward to many more years of community on line to help and relish in accomplishments, solutions, history and news.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Not good news,

Being a Volvo lover since the early 70s, I'm all in. Appreciate your willingness to offer a community which so many have an active part of. Thanks for letting us know, and for keeping this rolling. Looking forward to many more years of community on line to help and relish in accomplishments, solutions, history and news.
Sad to say not necessarily good news for 'club' members or traders.

These people have bought several previously privately owned semi commercial UK sites and, in the case of the ones that I am familiar with in the UK Ford performance community have attempted to fool everybody whilst increasing their take relentlessly without any improvements whatsoever. The result has been less traffic and participation from all. Fair enough some are moving to other social media but some membership has fallen away to other places too.

Beware! they are running a hard nosed and greedy enterprise for their own benefit alone, hardly a members' club....

Don.

·
Administrator
436 Posts
Sad to say not necessarily good news for 'club' members or traders.

These people have bought several previously privately owned semi commercial UK sites and, in the case of the ones that I am familiar with in the UK Ford performance community have attempted to fool everybody whilst increasing their take relentlessly without any improvements whatsoever. The result has been less traffic and participation from all. Fair enough some are moving to other social media but some membership has fallen away to other places too.

Beware! they are running a hard nosed and greedy enterprise for their own benefit alone, hardly a members' club....

Don.
Hello Helena Here :)

I Manage all of our communities here at VS.

While some of what you say has a hint of truth, don't forget that there is 2 sides to every story and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

We dont change anything about a site, unless 1. asked by the community, or 2. when it needs to be. So when a site says that we have done nothing, it is generally because they dont want it. or the majority of the site at least.

If you ever want something from us, start a thread, see what the community thinks, and we listen.

Helena

1 - 8 of 8 Posts