SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I written a few threads in the past regarding diagnosing my issues. I've come to the conclusion that the head needs to be removed in order to change a burnt Valve, and or head gasket. The problem has to do with the cams, im really afraid of Messing up the timing, I purschased a cam locking Tool, that goes on the back of the cams, i'm just unsure on how I should use it. I cant find a guide that shows how to use it for My purpose, and all the head gasket replacement tutorials are vara without vvt-hubs. So I Wonder if someone has some tips on how to do it properly.

I thought that in order to get to the headbolts, i would have to remove the camshafts, wouldnt that render the locking Tool useless if I need to remove the shafts?

I also wonder when i should take the timing belt of and wether to align the sprockets straight Up first, and then put the lock on.

IF anyone has any tips they would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'll give some tips to remove but you really need detailed instructions for re-assembly of the VVT's or you run the risk of major damage and/or DTC's.

You put the cam locks on before you remove the head so you can break the bolts loose that hold the vvt hubs to the cams. With the gears removed you can remove the locks and proceed to R&I head. (With the tools off the cams may turn slightly due to valve spring pressure but that's okay, let them find their own relaxed position.)

The gears/hubs must come off the cams.
1 in order to install the cam seals and
2 so you can properly set cam timing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts