SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to lower my '99 XC 2-4 inches (could not find a V70 AWD so settled for a XC). All info suggests that IPD (or any other) lowering kits yield a 1-1.5 inch drop.
That would drop an XC down to the level/look of a stock (non- XC) V70. I want to lower it a further 1-2 inches ... I do NOT travel off road with this car. I sure like the looks of the R cars but the $$$ are just not available for THAT upgrade.
Any ideas? ... I know the self levelling rear susp. can complicate things ....

Hummm.

· Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: '99 V70XC ride height ... what springs? (66hagar)

The XC is only about 3/4 inch heigher than a stock V70 (really) so a 1.5" drop wouldn't look bad.
There is ONE company that sells springs that are suposedly a 2" drop but I don't remember who they are. I'm sure Gregg will let you know when he reads this
You may have to remove the Nivomat setup and install normal shocks and struts all around.
Why don't you give ipd a call, they have lowered XC's?

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm hoping to retain the Nivomat hardware ... Just wondering what Volvo did to the XC suspension to add the extra lift ...spacers? longer springs? .. or?
I would like to have a smaller gap between tires and wheel wells. I also suspect that the front tire wear and understeer should be less with a lower center of gravity??
Work in progress......

· Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: (66hagar)

Basically springs.
Again, I would ask ipd for their opinion as they have lowered some XC's

· Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: '99 V70XC ride height ... what springs? (gdogg16)

Quote, originally posted by gdogg16 »
just buy a stock V70R suspension. Works great on the XC!
XC on V70R shocks/springs.

???? Still looks tall, could be the picture

· Registered
44 Posts
Re: '99 V70XC ride height ... what springs? (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
The XC is only about 3/4 inch heigher than a stock V70...
Incorrect, I think. I have seen n/a V70's with hubcaps that were a LOT lower than my XC before the R kit was installed. It is about a +/-2" difference from the XC to the regular V70...3" at the front!
Before V70R AWD suspension:

After V70R AWD suspension:

It may not seem like a big drop, but it is when you look at it in person. Handling is really much better, too. Since I put on 225/45/17's in place of the factory 205/55/16's its even better-er!

Yhe main difference that Greg and I found when swapping the suspension was that the springs were longer (taller) and the OEM shock/strut was also longer than the R set-up. Also, in the fromt, the spring perches were taller , IIRC, to get that extra nose-in-the-air lift.

You can get the Spring set from IPD (which I am not sure is in stock at the moment), or KW Variant 3 Coilovers, which are big $$$ (someone correct me if I am wrong) for AWD. I understand the IPD stuff takes away another 1" or so, and the XC springs they advertise have been proven to lower a V70R AWD, so the R and XC IPD kit may well be the same.

...and there is always Ohlins.

thisis how my XC is sitting at the moment:

· Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: '99 V70XC ride height ... what springs? (vclvc)

Quote, originally posted by vclvc »

Incorrect. It is about a 2-3" difference from the XC to the regular V70.

No, I'm correct. All it is, is about 3/4 to 1", really.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank YOU! That is exactly what I wanted to know re: the stock XC vs V70/R suspension. I was planning to start with IPD coils and then play around a bit, but I might look at changing the other bits as well. Thanks for the pics ... NICE CAR!
On another note: has anyone noticed a change in ride height after installing Bilsteins?? I remember my 142 rally car gaining almost an inch after the upgrade to gas B's ..... Same for V70's?

Cheers, Don

· Registered
44 Posts
Re: (66hagar)

I got my R springs and shocks with low mileage, so I kept them. I understand Konis give Volvos a nice ride, but I dont know for sure.

There are some shocks out there that are 'reverse valved' (dont remember the proper terminology?) and generally take away a little bit of height.

· Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: '99 V70XC ride height ... what springs? (vclvc)

umm...no.
I edited the post above...have another read.
Err, no to you.
You are INcorrect
If you go and actually measure a V70 and an XC (stock, of course) you'll see that it's really not that much. It just seems to look that way

· Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: (vclvc)

I got my R springs and shocks with low mileage, so I kept them. I understand Konis give Volvos a nice ride, but I dont know for sure.

There are some shocks out there that are 'reverse valved' (dont remember the proper terminology?) and generally take away a little bit of height.
A shock cannot lower a car but Bilsteins can and do raise it from 1/4" to 3/4"
The springs will prevent it from going lower

· Registered
44 Posts
Re: '99 V70XC ride height ... what springs? (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

Err, no to you.
You are INcorrect
If you go and actually measure a V70 and an XC (stock, of course) you'll see that it's really not that much. It just seems to look that way

Sorry, Buddy...I don't beleive it. When I measure I'll let you know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.