SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '99 V70XC with 230,000 miles on it. I would imagine its generally getting a bit tired, engine-wise and it's starting to use oil. My biggest problem though, is hard starting when it's hot out.

In the morning it starts without too much trouble, although it doesn't necessarily spring to life as soon as you hit the key. But after it's warm - or sits in the hot sun all day at work - it takes a bit of cranking to get it to kick. I can get it to "catch" by using various throttle positions, although I don't know if the drive-by-wire throttle really does anything in "start" mode.
It completely failed me once. It seemed to have flooded so I left it and came back later, only to have the battery die before it would start. I had it towed to a local service station and decided the plugs needed replacing. I had them keep it a few days to make sure they cured it and they claim to have. But just the other day I tried to start it on a 90 degree afternoon and I had a hard time getting it to catch.
I'm thinking there's a temp sensor someplace that isn't reading right and telling the cold start circuit to enrich the gas, causing it to flood, which may be why I can get it to catch if I crack the throttle.
Any ideas on this?

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Like the other thread, this may be the antenna ring starting to fail. You can try cleaning the connector to see if that helps.

Other starting issue thread

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I'm not sure if "flooding" really exists anymore in modern fuel injected engines. (the fuel spray is a very very fine mist) Excess fuel will be pushed out of the exhaust valves as well, if it ever built up to that degree. I guarantee if you fix whatever is causing the no-start that it will fire right up, no matter how long you were cranking it prior.

Antenna ring is a good first step for diagnosis.

Was there a check engine light prior to any of this happening? Now?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Check your fuel pump relay. They're been known to fail, and heat exacerbates the problem.

Just had to replace the relay on my parents 98, had the same symptoms you describe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts