SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking that this was a simple plug-n-play conversion, I have purchased an
SC-816 to install in place of the SC-901. Since these cars were sometimes sold with the SC-816, is it as simple as just removing the SC-901 and plugging in the SC-816?

Car has no center speaker.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Re: 99 V70R, Convert from SC-901 to SC-816 (MrTippy)

My ears were ringing!

That page that Tippy referenced says a lot about what I think of the 816. It's a big step backwards, if you ask me. Read that page. Twice.

Regardless, you could just do a direct replacement, swapping the 901 out and plugging the 816 in its place. The booster amplifier, wiring harness and amplifier mounting bracket that are necessary for the 901 can be used optionally on the 816. If you try it, and choose to stick with the 816, then you can remove those three parts and sell all four parts on E-bay as a package.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CD functions of the 901 are not working.
CDs do not load, and cartridge does not eject.
Of more importance, my father (83 years old) will be much more capable of understanding and operating the single CD system as opposed to a three disc cartridge.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr. Rothe,
I do have a few additional questions.
I have read your articles, and I have some observations and further questions.
If you might be available by telephone for a few minutes, you could drop me an email with telephone contact information and the best times to call.
Thanks,
Jay
jay-lighting at sbcglobal dot net

·
Registered
385 Posts
Re: (castconcrete)

I apologize for this, but I'm going to have to decline the phone conversation. I'm really not available during the work day except via e-mail, and for the next few weeks, my evenings will be taken up with training.

Feel free to ask your questions via this forum. There are other people besides me who have answers, so you may benefit from asking your questions in a larger audience.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK
If there is in fact an amplifier in the 99 V70R and the head-unit does not have internal amplification as I have read, than the amplifier output from the head-unit must be a line level output...
How could this possibly work with the SC-816 which does have internal amplification as a direct plug-n-play scenario?
On another note regarding SC-816, why does the system in one of our 850 wagons sound so much better than the system in our other 850 wagon? I have not searched under/in front of the console to determine if the previous owner installed an external amp, but there is definitely not one under either of the front seats in the wagon that has a much better sounding system, which is especially noticeable at lower volume settings.
Could this possibly have something to do with the behind the scenes control capability that you refer to in one of your articles?
AS a long time audiophile (been carting around and using mono tube amps for the home system for thirty years) I care about the quality of the audio in our cars even if I am not going to go out and spend big dollars for improvement at this time.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Jay

Modified by castconcrete at 2:50 PM 3-31-2009

·
Registered
385 Posts
Re: (castconcrete)

Quote, originally posted by castconcrete »
OK
If there is in fact an amplifier in the 99 V70R and the head-unit does not have internal amplification as I have read, than the amplifier output from the head-unit must be a line level output...

Correct.

Quote »
How could this possibly work with the SC-816 which does have internal amplification as a direct plug-n-play scenario?

The 816 has BOTH internal amplification and a line-out. I don't know if they turn off the internal amp when the line-out terminal is connected, but it works. By design. And I've done it.

Quote »
On another note regarding SC-816, why does the system in one of our 850 wagons sound so much better than the system in our other 850 wagon?

I don't know anything about the 850 sound system, but the booster amp to which I referred is located in the center console on my car. Maybe you have a similar component hiding in your console.

Quote »
I have not searched under/in front of the console to determine if the previous owner installed an external amp, but there is definitely not one under either of the front seats in the wagon that has a much better sounding system, which is especially noticeable at lower volume settings.
Could this possibly have something to do with the behind the scenes control capability that you refer to in one of your articles?

The 816 has factory-programmed, non-defeatable equalization. I don't know if the earlier 815 and other head units had the same equalization. Maybe that's what you're hearing.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having not seen the back panel of either unit, I must assume that they look very, very similar, and that I will be cabling the 816 exactly as the 901 was cabled in order to abandon the speaker level ouput of the 816 and provide for a line level output to the amp from the 816?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts