SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a deposit on a stunning 99 v70r. The car is in amazing condition, and driving in fwd mode currently due to a toasted angle drive.

I've been lurking here for quite a while, and am confident in my abilities enough to replace it upon delivery. Now the million dollar question..

What cars can I source a compatible angle drive from; besides another 99r?

Thanks in advance guys:beer:

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
It probably just needs an angle gear collar. It would take a lot to destroy an angle gear. Not impossible, but the collar always goes first. If the entire angle gear really is shot, I believe 99s are your only option. 00s are smaller, 98s are different.

When you get the car, remove the angle gear and inspect the collar. I'm willing to bet it's stripped out.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
If you DO need a bevel gear, it's the same as 99XC and there are plenty on those in junk yards

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
You can also use the angle gear from a later 98 V70 AWD/XC/R but you have to make sure that it's after the chassis break (last 6 digits of the vin # must be higher than 465001 IIRC). Those angle gears are the same as used in the 99 cars.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You can also use the angle gear from a later 98 V70 AWD/XC/R but you have to make sure that it's after the chassis break (last 6 digits of the vin # must be higher than 465001 IIRC). Those angle gears are the same as used in the 99 cars.
This is true. Can you tell when looking at the replacement unit too - there should be a lip on the output flange that mates to your prop shaft. If it's a flat surface, it's from an early 98.

To echo what others have said, it's more than likely your splined collar that is damaged since it's fairly common and the weakest link. Replacement of the collar can be an issue depending more on the year of car you own. I've heard of P2 cars where the collar is easily removed and replaced but on P80's, it can essentially be bonded to the trans which means a whole lot of work to remove it.

The inner collar gets moisture inside it, begins to rust and the splines wear. This is generally diagnosed with a grinding noise coming from the trans and little to no output on the prop shaft.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is true. Can you tell when looking at the replacement unit too - there should be a lip on the output flange that mates to your prop shaft. If it's a flat surface, it's from an early 98.

To echo what others have said, it's more than likely your splined collar that is damaged since it's fairly common and the weakest link. Replacement of the collar can be an issue depending more on the year of car you own. I've heard of P2 cars where the collar is easily removed and replaced but on P80's, it can essentially be bonded to the trans which means a whole lot of work to remove it.

The inner collar gets moisture inside it, begins to rust and the splines wear. This is generally diagnosed with a grinding noise coming from the trans and little to no output on the prop shaft.
There is no movement of the prop shaft, and the car is essentially fwd at the moment. Im assuming it is the collar from everything I've read.

I saw a YouTube video where a guy used a modified snapon gear puller, and 30 seconds of oxy / acetalene 'heat' to get the sleave out.

Where's the most affordable place to source a new sleave?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
The new sleeve from Volvo is a revised design. Just buy it from a dealer. I would not assume the AG is good - when the splines fail on the coupler they usually take out the splines on the AG input. I would source a used AG before you take it apart. 98 XC's are quite plentiful, you just have to make sure the output flange has the lip.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The new sleeve from Volvo is a revised design. Just buy it from a dealer. I would not assume the AG is good - when the splines fail on the coupler they usually take out the splines on the AG input. I would source a used AG before you take it apart. 98 XC's are quite plentiful, you just have to make sure the output flange has the lip.
Good info Joe. Thank you:thumbup:

So would you recomend sourcing a used angle drive, AND the new upgraded sleave? Remember; an m66 swap is in the near future. ;)

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
You should definitely replace the sleeve if/when you replace the angle gear. If you choose to wait until you do your M66 swap that's up to you but when the angle gear gets installed so too should a new sleeve.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You should definitely replace the sleeve if/when you replace the angle gear. If you choose to wait until you do your M66 swap that's up to you but when the angle gear gets installed so too should a new sleeve.
Would you recommend waiting until I do the m66 swap to swap the angle gear? It would make sense; as long as im not causing further damage to other components driving it in this state.

Excuse my n00b questions; as im a VW/Audi guy.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Yep, definitely a chance the splines on the angle gear are damaged. But, I've also seen that in many cases only the splines on the collar are ruined, leaving the angle gear side intact. It might be fine, it might not. Inspecting it is the only way to know if you need a new one.

Since you'll be in there already, waiting until the M66 swap makes the most logical sense to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the great info guys.:beer:

Not sure why this cross compatibility isn't in a sticky somewhere.:confused:

The so called technical forums on here kinda suck too IMO. I can't understand for the life of me why there are no model specific engine, or drivetrain forums; yet we have a dedicated forum for ICE.. kinda bizarre..

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
It's stickied right at the top of this forum :)

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
The so called technical forums on here kinda suck too IMO. I can't understand for the life of me why there are no model specific engine, or drivetrain forums; yet we have a dedicated forum for ICE.. kinda bizarre..
It's not really worth bothering with the tech section as long as your car has it's own section. Anything you ask in here will get answered as long as someone knows the answer! This is the primary area where 98-00 owners go, so you might as well search within here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

It's stickied right at the top of this forum :)
Man.. I feel like a dumb dumb:eek:

It's not really worth bothering with the tech section as long as your car has it's own section. Anything you ask in here will get answered as long as someone knows the answer! This is the primary area where 98-00 owners go, so you might as well search within here.
Thanks again buddy. Quite a helpful community here. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts