SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I know this may seem like a stupid post but I want to get some input before spending large amounts of money on fluids that I may not need.
I have a 1999 V70R AWD with 79K miles on it and I am going to change the oil since its about that time.
I usually run the regular Mobil 1 10W-30 Full synthetic so my question on that is.

A) Is there any benefit to me running the high mileage synthetic on this car?
B) If most the seals are anaerobic then wouldn't it be a waste of money to run a high mileage oil with seal sweller in it?

Then I am also having issues with the transmission dropping into and out of overdrive(4th Gear?) sporadically on the freeway.
I stupidly chose to swap over to the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF a long while back, the problem is that the one I bought seems to have been pulled from shelves and replaced with a fluid WITHOUT any Dexron III/Volvo compatibility (EDIT:Or so it seems, looking into it more I found that online they still list it as a 3309/Dexron III equivalent) . My mechanic found no type of error codes to point to any transmission malfunction.
So then my questions on that are

C) Should I flush with OEM fluid which is technically the Mobil ATF 3309 OR try to flush with Royal Purple Max ATF
D) Is something like this not even related to fluid and more a solenoid issue?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
My recommendation is to stay away from high mileage oils. I don't like the seal swelling additives.

Flush trans with 3309. A solenoid issue could very well be caused by dirty fluid and remedied with clean fluid.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My recommendation is to stay away from high mileage oils. I don't like the seal swelling additives.

Flush trans with 3309. A solenoid issue could very well be caused by dirty fluid and remedied with clean fluid.
Yeah Ill just do the normal 10W30 Synthetic I usually run. In regards to the transmission I was reading a couple threads on fluids and everyone was saying that everything from the 4-speed transmission's to the 6 speeds did well with this fluid, what do you think?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
It will probably work just fine, however personally I stick to Mobil 3309 just because it has worked so well for me all these years.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So I know this may seem like a stupid post but I want to get some input before spending large amounts of money on fluids that I may not need.
I have a 1999 V70R AWD with 79K miles on it and I am going to change the oil since its about that time.
I usually run the regular Mobil 1 10W-30 Full synthetic so my question on that is.

A) Is there any benefit to me running the high mileage synthetic on this car?
B) If most the seals are anaerobic then wouldn't it be a waste of money to run a high mileage oil with seal sweller in it?

Then I am also having issues with the transmission dropping into and out of overdrive(4th Gear?) sporadically on the freeway.
I stupidly chose to swap over to the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF a long while back, the problem is that the one I bought seems to have been pulled from shelves and replaced with a fluid WITHOUT any Dexron III/Volvo compatibility (EDIT:Or so it seems, looking into it more I found that online they still list it as a 3309/Dexron III equivalent) . My mechanic found no type of error codes to point to any transmission malfunction.
So then my questions on that are

C) Should I flush with OEM fluid which is technically the Mobil ATF 3309 OR try to flush with Royal Purple Max ATF
D) Is something like this not even related to fluid and more a solenoid issue?
Can you url me to a s/v70 ATF change guide/YouTube video? Been having trouble finding one... been told it may not be worth it because some euro cars require ATF to be pressurized then topped up to evacuate the air. Is it too much for a home garage job?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
If you are in the US and have a true 99 with a 4 speed, 3309 is not necessary. Most fluids will do fine.
If it continues to drop out of OD you're in for a rebuild, period, (sorry).

·
Registered
637 Posts
Can you url me to a s/v70 ATF change guide/YouTube video? Been having trouble finding one... been told it may not be worth it because some euro cars require ATF to be pressurized then topped up to evacuate the air. Is it too much for a home garage job?

There's nothing exotic about the procedure for our cars. You can drain the fluid using the plug on the bottom of the transmission, replace what comes out with new, drive around for a while, and repeat the process. If you do that a couple times you'll have replaced most of the fluid in the transmission.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There's nothing exotic about the procedure for our cars. You can drain the fluid using the plug on the bottom of the transmission, replace what comes out with new, drive around for a while, and repeat the process. If you do that a couple times you'll have replaced most of the fluid in the transmission.
Kampman dropping mad knowledge like an OG. Much respect brother. Will lookup what type of ATF is best for an NA V70. Nice that there's no pressurization required.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I know I didn't use all of the 1-gallon jug of the transmission oil when I did a drain/fill on my V70R.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
About 3.5 quarts, but if you're doing drain and fills, it needs to be done 3-4 times

·
Registered
63 Posts
The 7 who inspected my 2000 v70 mentioned that cars with 300k+ should not have transmisgreat sion fluid changed at a garage. Not at all would be the safest bet, at a transmission shop if one must.

I'm told this is because the clean fluid may dislodge gunk or debris that could kill the transmission if not properly flushed.

Any experiences to substantiate his claim, gentlemen?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts