SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Volvo fellows,

I want wo change my ATF in my 99 S80 T6. The transmission is in OK shape even though shift from 1 in 2 is pretty sluggish. Since the car has also run 146k miles, I think its time.
Now I am kind of scared, but not because I cant change the ATF because of skill but rather because I see the transmission as a such fragile thing.
Is there anything that could go wrong, if I change the fluid and do it properly?

I bought 10 liters(im from germany) of Dexron III G/H/F
and a Chevy Impala equiavalent filter and seal.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Well..... after viewing some YouTube stuff on how to do it in my Aisin V70, and the entire drain-a-liter, add-a-liter until it runs clear thing, I went and spent the $120 at a local oil change shop (not a chain) and they hooked it up to their flush machine and had me out of there in 25 minutes.

Shifting improved almost immediately and just got better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem is that in germany they charge 400+ euros on a flush.
So I would be pleased with a little improvment in shifting when I just drop the pan and change 7 of the 12 liters.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just as long as you're aware that you will not change 100% of the fluid. Otherwise, there are Youtube videos you can watch where you disconnect the cooler lines from the radiator, and measure what comes out versus what you replace. This generally requires an assistant to start and stop the engine.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I would hold off on the transmission fluid change.

If it's been 146K miles since anyone has changed the transmission fluid in your car, I would think twice about touching it in any way. Whatever particles and "gunk" that are in your old transmission fluid will actually help your transmission shift gears. Once you change out that old fluid, you can potentially run into very harsh, undesired shifting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts